Fireplace

busted2341

Scott,

Does anyone else that has a fireplace have it set in place with a 1/4" gap around the edges so that it does not look flush. When I first picked mine up I noticed it was put in crooked, fixed at dealer, however after looking at several others that seem neat and flush mine just looks cheap and un-professional. I wounder if I should ask for it to be seen by Heartland Reps or just live with it...anyone else have this little problem. I know it is cosmetic but just drives me nuts looking at it....:confused:

ChopperBill

You are not alone. Ours lacked 1/4 or more from fitting each side. You could see light between those openings when the bulbs were on. Looked pretty cheap. I got some weather strip to fill the cracks and when I took the wood frame off I found that the glass wasn't even seated because of a big dent in the bottom. The wood frame around it is even bowed out at the bottom. Took a picture of the dented fireplace and am the process of having it replaced as I am afraid the glass may not stay in place while traveling. I still installed the weather strip and it looks a WHOLE bunch better.
228569756.jpg

C

Chulinw

ChopperBill it looks like the fires place has been over heated. I guess my eyes are just getting old might be the reason. I guess that is one reason I don't have the fire place in my RL3400. I was always scared it would cause a fire. Looks great but don't want to put out the $$. I use a portable electric heater to help with heating the camper...

ChopperBill

Not over heated. The bottom where it is dented is cool to the touch. It had to been damaged by a fork lift or dropped from a pretty good height. The fire place actually works quite well. Does not over heat the cabinet and does keep the living area comfy. Not at all worried about fire or any other catastrophe as I would any other electric heater. All in all happy with our option choice, plus it just look **** neat!

busted2341

Thanx for the response.....I am not the fix it type, not very mechanically inclined....what do I put around the edges?

ChopperBill

Frank, I just purchased a roll of heavy foam weather strip that has sticky on one side. About 3/8 wide and 1/4 thick. Unscrewed the fireplace and pushed it back a couple of inches and ran the weather strip on the wood edge. Pull the fireplace back and screw it back in place. Only took a few minutes.