Bike rack

davebennington

I just got finished installing a bike rack on the front of the Landmark, We hope to try it out this month 16 through 19 if it's not to cold we are venturing off to Williamsburg, VA. It's my year to plan the anniversary trip (according to the rules she doesn't know). The weather forecast it is to be in the 60's and no snow we will see.

Dave:D

Cheryl

What kind of bike rack? Can you post pictures and more info? Such as where purchased and price? I'm not real fond of storing our bikes in the "basement".

jbeletti

Inquiring minds must see pictures Dave. If you take any, please post them or email them to me and I will add them to your post.

Jim

davebennington

Hi All

I will get pictures for you. It was to cold to be outside for very long today, I guess when you get old you blood thins out and you can not take the cold like you used to.
As far a the bike rack itself I got it on Ebay for $32.00 The seller has a store just up the road and I went a picked it saving the shipping charges. The mount for the rack I made myself in the shop not a big deal anyone with a welder and some metal can put one togeather. I checked with Trail-Air hitch people and asked if it would harm the hitch in anyway if I drilled a couple holes they said no problem. I promise I will have pictures tomorrow and attempt to post same.

Dave

davebennington

OK,
I am going to try to upload pictures that I took this morning. If all else fails I will send them to Jim.
It looks good so far I guess an old person can still learn a thing or two.
Dave

Attachments

• bike hitch1.jpg
    bike hitch1.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 358
  • bike hitch2.jpg
    bike hitch2.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 327
  • bike rack.jpg
    bike rack.jpg
    316.8 KB · Views: 295
  • front rack (2).jpg
    front rack (2).jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 275

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks Dave, That looks like that should work well.Have a safe trip.

svd

That looks good. I tried something similar, butr couldn't get the bike wheels to clear the top of the pickup box on turns. Maybe yours is higher, or it had something to do with my short box.

Cheryl

Dave,
How about some more pictures of how it is "attached" to your 5th wheel hitch? Thanks in advance.

davebennington

Cheryl,

I have a few more shots of the rack. It is mounted by 6 1/2" bolts, lock washers and nuts. Three on each side. The receiver I purchased from Camping World I think it cost about $21.00. The metal I got at a local metal shop $8.00 , they cut it to the size I needed. As I said before the rack itself purchased from an Ebayer $32.00 Total cost about $61.00 not including my labor( I work cheap).
Hope this helps.
Dave

Attachments

• very close pass.jpg
    very close pass.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 177
  • very close driver.jpg
    very close driver.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 191
  • front rack.jpg
    front rack.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 184
  • front full.jpg
    front full.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 194
  • close up pass side.jpg
    close up pass side.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 192
  • close up driver side.jpg
    close up driver side.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 214
  • bike hitch2.jpg
    bike hitch2.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 239
  • bike hitch1.jpg
    bike hitch1.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 264
  • with bike.jpg
    with bike.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 249

tdharley

Forget the rack. 60's in Virginia???

I'm in New York & its 12 today. And they say worse next week!!!!!!!!!

The hitch looks good too. Will it hold a snow mobile. LOL

Last edited:

Cheryl

Thanks for the pictures. I'm trying to talk Nelson into doing something like that for ours. He is concerned that altering the hitch will void the warranty.

tdharley,
We're in the same boat. We haven't had school all week due to the cold. We have very little snow on the ground and the roads are perectly clear, it's just cold. We already have a 2 hour delay for tomorrow.