Wood floor joists??

travlingman

I have noticed that the new literature is showing that you now use 2x3 wood floor joists instead of aluminum. Why the change?

ChopperBill

This is the second time I have seen this question and to my knowledge it has not been addressed. (was out of touch for 5 weeks and could have missed it)
Anyone know why the change to wood?

Forrest Fetherolf

My guess is cheaper material. The wood joist can be made and assembled in the factory with the nose and tail cone, and other wood members throughout the rig. The wood is not lighter or stronger, so that can't be the reason for change. Aluminum framing vs wood was the difference between lower and upper class models. Aluminum welded framing was a big issue in their advertising.

travlingman

Thanks for the bump ChopperBill. I had dropped in to do the same. I am still interested in why the change to wood?

Westwind

Heartland Models

What Heartland Models are we talking about? I thought
they all had aluminum frames. :confused:

travlingman

Westwind said:
What Heartland Models are we talking about? I thought
they all had aluminum frames. :confused:

I am asking about the Bighorn's. According to the new literature, they are using wood floor joists now.

jimtoo

I too would like to know why the construction of Bighorns has gone from aluminum floor joist to wooden floor joist. Is it strictly a cost factor or what? This post has been here for a week now and no one from the factory has answered, why?

Scott

It's really pretty simple. Aluminum prices are going through the roof and the vast majority of our competition in this price point has wood floors. Combine this with the fact that a number of dealers are reporting to us that with most customers, cost is one of the biggest factors, and while we will be the first to tell you quality is important - it's also about getting your money's worth out of a feature - and we simply were not. Wood floors are something that every person has in their permanent homes and is something that is very typical in the RV industry. With Heartland's one-piece seamless floor decking, the studs underneath that it is attached to just wasn't a big selling factor with customers.
I absolutely respect your opinion that you would rather have the more expensive aluminum, and I hope that you respect that fact that we need to stay competitive and this is one area where we were able to pass on some savings to the customer - while still providing a quality floor.
ST

Westwind

Aluminum vs Wood Floor Joists

As a prospective buyer it does make a difference to me,
wood doesn't have the longevity of aluminum. As I
asked in my previous post what models are we talking
about in the Heartland Line of trailers will now have
wood floor joists?
I'm really disheartened to hear that Heartland has taken
this approach. I wish someone could tell me what we
are talking about in cost here. If it was $1,000 I'd say
it is not worth it. I wish I could walk away with the
feeling that there isn't more to this change.:confused: :confused: :confused:

travlingman

Scott,

Thanks for the answer and sharing why the change. I too, hate to hear of the change to wood, but I understand your reasoning.