Ordering Landmark Grand Canyon

happyrover

Help Folks, Am planning on ordering 2008 Landmark Grand Canyon! What is the opinion of owners on this unit? I would like to know what are good and not so good options and why? This will be a full-time unit for wife and I. Am really interested in the pro's and con's of all the options. At the present time I will be ordering the unit with everything but the security camera and vacuum, but will have the 10 cu ft refrig. Any and all responds really will be appreciated.

ct0218

If that's all you're not ordering, then it will be well appointed! We've had our Landmark almost a year now, really enjoy it too. Congratulations on your purchase, and spend a few hours reading the different sections of the forum if you haven't already done so. Lots of good information here. Welcome to the family.

Tom of Ypsi

Congratulations on ordering your new 5ver. If the vacuum has the sweep feature you might want to rethink that option. I saw that feature in a motorhome, if you drop something just sweep the dirt into the opening, no need to drag out the hose. Sound like you have everthing else covered.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Congrats. on your order. We think you will really enjoy it. We already had a central vac from Camping World so I installed it in our MR. Wife loves it and would not be without it. If it is not to late might want to rethink .

jpmorgan37

happyrover;
Congratulations on your Grand Canyon. We love ours and live in it full tme. Several thoughts..We ordered the Ultra Leather recliners. They are very comfortable but too big and heavy. We got rid of one and now have just one and I built a small computer desk, so that is by our rear window. We also sold the sleeper sofa and bought a double recliner love seat and a small table which goes in the doorside slide. We were able to move the dining table about five inches which gives a lot more room for folks sitting at the table. The central vac was a must have for Sue and we love it. We have the 10 cu ft refrigerator but without the ice maker. It takes up too much freezer space and we use one tray most of the time. We didn't get the gas oven and use the convection oven all the time. We also went against the trend and ordered a queen size bed which gave us a shelf on one side and a book rack with shelf on the other side plus no problem finding sheets that fit. The 3 3/4 in brakes and never lube hubs and a slide out tray took care of most of the rest. We didn't get the automatic awning which I regret now. Other than that, I think that was the most of it. We love our "home" and it is very comfortable. Oh yes, dual pane windows and two AC's/with heat pumps. E-mail me if you have any questions. jpmorgan37@juno.com
John

K

Ken Washington

I was going to post until I read John's reply. He lives in it so he knows best what you should order. As you can see, I am posting anyway just to say that the two A/C's with heat pumps are a must and the Weather Pro awning is very nice to have. Good luck with your order!

Ken

jpmorgan37

Thanks Ken, but I won't say that I know best, I just know what works for us. I appreciate the nice compliment though.
John

Princess Kathleen

I agree with all the posts. We have been living in ours since April, 06 and have had a great time...the vac is a must....it is good for easy clean up, but for the heavy duty cleaning I have a Rainbow. Our GC had the option of a dishwasher so we ordered it...what a time saver...also love the fireplace it heats and is romantic. Ditto on the 2 a/c with heat when you are south of the Mason Dixon line 2 ac can keep the GC cool.
I hope you will enjoy your GC as much as we love our "Luv Shak"

PK

bobadri

We have a 2007 Landmark Grand Canyon.....before you buy, check out the frame underneath...ours was delivered without the proper bracing for the Mor-ryde allowing the frame to bend requiring extensive repair work and bracing. It is our understanding that many units went out with this problem. We are also returning to Elkhart in the spring because the kitchen slide slopes down and must also be rebraced...this will be our third trip back to Elkhart with this unit in less than a year. We did get a certified letter from Heartland acknowledging the problem after repairs were made. We are full-timers and this has cost us considerable time, expense and inconvenience, to say nothing of the worry when towing the unit.

Bob and Adrienne Manning

Princess Kathleen

Yes, we had problems with wheels, frame, suspension, and springs, but everything was taken care by LSI, Lippert and Dexter. Do I still love my GC you betcha.....and Heartland....they have really been there for us....in the time of us being down and UP....

PK

jbeletti

Looks like the current vac unit being used is the Eureka. I have the Dirt Devil in mine and I may have seen a Dometic in a unit one time. But the 3 Bighorns at the MN show had Eurekas. Look like great units.

dennylm

Say John,

I noticed earlier in this thread that you had ordered the queen bed. We have done the same in our BigHorn 3055RL. I suddenly realized I have no idea if it is a standard residential sized queen, or an "RV" queen. Assuming the same one goes in your GC and my BH (not necessarily a good assumption :) ) what size is your queen?

Denny

jpmorgan37

Denny;
Our bed is a standard queen. The bedding that we used on our beds that we used to have before we went full time, is what we use now on our bed. The bed measures 60" x 80".
John

Flatop

Interested Member
Definetly get the 2 A/C Heat pumps and the Central Vac. The Fireplace is great. Shop around on your dealer prices, we traveled to RV's for Less and saved a bunch of money. Butch and Karen and the rest of the gang over there are First Class in my book. We shopped around drove to Dallas Tx to look at the models got on this forum like you and then made the call to RV's for Less ordered the 2007 and went and got it.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
get the vac mine works great and we have dogs it cleans the carpet very good.

happyrover

New 2008 Heartland Grand Canyon

None Howdy Folks,

Well, spent part of yesterday and this morning talking with Butch and Karen at Rv's for Less and placed my order for the Grand Canyon. Took the advise of forum members and ordered the vac also. Probably not the place for this but had to tell someone about the order and how excited we are about it. Also ordered the extra winter package, 2-130 watt solar panels, 3000 watt inverter, monitors and 4-6 volt heavy duty golf cart batteries, rear camera wiring set-up and couple other little goodies. Thank you all for your input and helping me with the major debt we have incurred with your assistance. ha ha. Just kidding. Hope to see you all at the rally so we can show it off and let you help us enjoy it.

Mel & Nina Harrison

By the way, yes, we do quite a bit of dry camping in the west.

gawelsh

Way to go !!! We have a Landmark,too and can't wait to meet everyone and check out all the Heartlands at the Rally - we'll be lookin' for you !

Midastouch

Wow!

happyrover ...

Congrats on your decision and your choice of dealers!!!!! You picked a great unit and awesome people to do business with! I can't say enough positive things about the Grand Canyon and Butch and Karen. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon! :D

jpmorgan37

Mel and Nina;
Just let me add my Congratulations to you both. I know how much you put in to this and we'll be anxious to hear all about it when you go get it. We are happy for you both.

John & Sue