Heat Pumps on Bighorn 3670

madigand

As Heartland does not offer the Heat Pump Option on Bighorns, What is everybody doing? Butch (RV'S For Less) has the option of 13.5K with heat strip in Bedroom. I am curious if you all are removing the existing 15K AC and replacing with Heat Pump Unit or using the heat strip only. Thanks in advance for the info.
Dan
Hopefully owner of 3670 in April

K

Ken Washington

madigand,
I think that most of us are keeping the main unit and adding the A/C heat pump in the bedroom. We have found that one heat pump does a real good gob heating the unit.

Ken

madigand

That was what I thought, but read some posts of having 2 heat pumps. I assume that you mean the 13.5 in the bedroom with heat pump and not a heat strip? Thanks for helping on our final decision
Dan

K

Ken Washington

Dan,
The heat pump will do a better job than the heat strip! It is my understanding that Heartland will not put a heat pump in at the factory and I think they will not install the one in the bedroom. That is usually done by the dealer.

Ken

L'l John

RV's for Less installed a 13,500 Dometic Air conditioner with heat pump in my 07 Bighorn 3400, last June '06.

tdharley

I was going to add a heat strip to my exsisting ducted heating unit, until I read on the PPL site that they do not recommend a heat strip in the ducted unit.

What model & size unit are you guys putting into the master bedrooms? Are they loud??.....Be honest!!! LOL

K

Ken Washington

tdharley,
There is no need not to be honest about it! Thy do make enough noise that at night we cut it off and use the main unit for cooling. When it is cool and we need the heat pump, we can still sleep with it running. The size of the unit is 13,500. Keep in mind that this A/C is only about four feet above the bed you will hear the fan running and the compressor come on.

Ken

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
When we are home we always sleep with the ceiling fan on,so the noise from the heat pump running really does not bother us.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

According to my selling dealer, who turned out to be a big lair, said my Grand Canyon had a 15,00 BTU with heat pump. It turned out that it did not. The dealer refused to put in a unit with a heat pump so I insisted that he install the heat strips. They work fairly well in weather that is not below 40 degrees. I plan on having a second AC added in the future, I will have the existing unit moved to the bedroom and replace it with another 15,000 BTU unit with the heat pump. That way I can keep the bedroom warm with just the heat strips and the fan running. No compressor cycling off and on during the night. Hopefully I can still sleep but if not I still can run the heat pump.

K

Ken Washington

fireflipper,
Just a note; Keep in mind that moving the main unit will add height where as putting the low profile unit up front will not.

Ken