Just bought 3055RL

HI folks my wife and I just recieved our new 08, 3055RL, from Lakeshore Rv in MI. We live in Cameron Park, CA. We special ordered the coach with the emerald satin fabric, Leather Euro chairs, slide out awning cover, dual 6v batteries and the central vac. I've been reading the forum for the last few weeks, so I have some items on the coach that I want to check before we head out to Bodega Bay the week after next. One thing I haven't read much about is the standard extended pin box, and any chucking problems. I'm pulling the coach with a 2005 Silverado 2500HD, DMax, 4x4. I know the Landmark oweners typically have the Trailair pin box, just interested to see if most owners have the standard pin box or have installed a aftermarket unit. I don't mind spending the money for someting else, but if it's not needed, I'll put the money somewhere else.

Mark and Gail Hamilton
Also Kobe our Jack Russell

DennisZ

Congratulations Mark on the new 3055RL, we also bought ours from Lakeshore last June. We have had no problems with clunking with the standard pin setup. I have a Reese 16K hitch with 4 way pivot, and it seems to work just fine.

Hope you have as much fun with your rig as we are having with ours.:)

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Ditto....

Congratulations Mark and Gail on your new Bighorn. We have a 2006 3055RL with the standard pin box and love it. We also have the Reese 16K hitch as DennisZ has and have not been bothered with chucking badly. It does happen but I usually compensate for it by changing speed and/or acceleration.

Tom

ChopperBill

Have a B&W hitch and no chucking at all. It has a shock absorber for side to side movement and rides on neoprene mounts for front to back movement. When I talked to Butch at RVs for less he told me there was no need for air hitches with a B&W. Now I am a firm believer.

5erWonk

Congrats Mark and Gail.....I just word from Butch and Karen that my 3055 is coming off the line this week, so all this talk of delivery is making me crazy. Sounds like we have all the same equipment on our rig.

ChopperBill, its great to hear your comments on the B&W, I was not aware of the neoprene mounts. Butch is installing a B&W for me so I was going to try it for a while before making a decision on an air hitch, sounds like I could save the $$$, and buy some other unnecessary accessories.

jbeletti

Bill,

Thanks for the input on the B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch. Just looked at it online. 'No chucking' sounds really good to me. I now realize that I undersized my hitch but was not smart enough to realize it when I purchased it. My trailer is now loaded to its max GVWR and that matches the hitch to the pound with no margin. I will consider upgrading my hitch if I upgrade my trailer. What about your pin box? Standard, More-Ryde, Trailair? I now have the Trailair and would move it to a new unit to use with the Companion hitch if it would further help.

Thanks,

Jim

phranc

I use the reese/Drawtite signature series at 18,000 lbs.. With the 3600 Bighorn I have a little chucking.I believe if the hitch was mounted an inch or 2 more forward it would reduce any chucking.. My hitch is installed exactly as reese instructed and is one inch forward of the center of the axle..
Not to digress and to answer your question.. Yes some chucking ,but minimal and I might purchase a Mor-Ryde pin box or perhaps the new, as yet not on the market , Trail Air pin box..

2 Cats

Congrats on the new Rig!!! Can't help with the pin question. Never pulled ours with the standard pin. We had a mor-ryde installed before we picked the rig up. Never any bucking or back & forth jerking at all. Enjoy your new rig!!!
Rob

We just picked up a 2007 Bighorn 3055RL from ExplorerUSA in Seguin Texas (yesterday from at 6:30 PM), Leather Euro chairs, slide out awning cover, Onan 5500 Gen, W/D and central vac. We are impressed with this unit, although we had the typical problem associated with any new unit.

madigand

Am in the final process of ordering new 3670. One thing I really wanted was the tril air pin box. Have heard a lot of good things about it. JMHO

Midastouch

I ordered my Landmark Grand Canyon with the standard pin box and also have the B & W hitch ...(installed thru RV's For Less) Rides great ... I had to look back every now and then and make sure the GC was still attached! I don't know how I could improve my ride and decided that I probably couldn't. Love the hitch ... and the standard pin box works well.