Surround Speakers

ChopperBill

Any one know where you can get those new surround speakers that are made to mount to the ceiling like on the newest rigs? Mine have those bent metal hangers and would like to install something a little classier.

ct0218

Bill
My unit is a little older than yours but apparently has a different mount. Not near mine right now, but as I remember mine appear to be partially recessed into the cailing, on an angle, on a round mounting plate. My guess would be about 1/3 recessed. They must have changed, or possibly use different speakers in the Bighorn. I would like to upgrade mine to a better system, but the 6 inch or so round mounting plate will definitely present a problem. I have replaced the subwoofer with a much better one and it is behind the recliners, made a BIG difference. If the five surround speakers are built anything like the subwoofer, and they sound like they are, they need to go too. Exactly how are yours mounted? Most speakers are designed to be wall mounted, so finding one that can be ceiling mounted will take some searching, and luck. I have some JBL speakers in my home that mount on a 15 degree V hook that appears could be rigged for a ceiling mount. It would be necessary to drill and tap for a set screw on both the wall side of the hook and speaker side (both sides on these can turn). JB Weld works great too, tends to be permanent though! I could mount these on the wall of the MR, almost touching the ceiling, and could conceal the wires that way, but the big mounting holes are my problem.

ChopperBill

Mine are just some bent pieces of metal screwed to the ceiling and then screwed to the speakers. Looks like an after thought. Every other late model fifth wheel I have seen has the round inset plate like yours. A LOT more professional looking than mine. Looks like they ran out of the proper speakers and made mine make shift. Some how I am not surprised!

jbeletti

Bill,

I called Heartland's Customer Service number this morning and spoke to Susan. She looked it up and confirmed that these speakers can be ordered from them, through a dealer. The dealer will need your VIN for their call to Customer Service and they'll need to reference the part as "White Recessed Ceiling Mount Speaker". I obtained the dealer cost but hesitate to post that since we'll probably not be buying at that rate. My guess is in the $10-$15 rate.

Jim

jbeletti

My pleasure Bill. I also obtained the Lippert recall data from the factory today. Once I sift through it, I'll get it posted in the appropriate forum here.

Jim

C

Chulinw

My stero speakers are like yours ChopperBill with the bent piece of metal to hold the speakers in place. In fact one of them broke and they just put a piece of "L" bracket up to hold the speaker that makes it even more cheaper then what it was. The repair shop at the dealer ship is something else. They just do what they want and don't care what the customer wants or desires. They are for the pits and the work they did do on m camper is substandard.

ChopperBill

I plan on re-doing my system a little. The center speaker is 2-3 feet to the right of the TV. When on surround the voices come out of it and it is sort of irritating hearing it that far from the mouth movements. I have a good center speaker that I plan on installing right at the TV location and will unhook the intended one. Will probably just leave it on the ceiling unless I can come up with something to fill the holes. I want to put in the classier recessed mounts if they aren't to expensive or come up with some unique mounts on my own. I have done some measuring and lots of 32 inch LCD's will fit in the existing cabinet. Now if I can just find some extra play money. :)

Dusty

Jim,

I will definitely be interested in hearing about Lippert recals. I am afraid I have a frame issue. My 3500 is at the dealer now and they are looking into it.

Dusty

C

Chulinw

ChopperBill if we can purchase the "White Recessed Ceiling Mount Speakers" for around $15. each that would not be a bad cost. I know that my two speakers up by the front door seems to be just a little to far apart. I thing if they are more centrally located around the TV the sound would be better. Now the question is how do we get the wires moved back to that area in order to use them or would it be better to run new wires for the speakers. Next question about the two speakers in the back corner of living area and locate them forward about two feet would that help out the sound?? I do enjoy my system on the high side when watching a good movie. What would you recommend on placing the speakers in order to get the best sound? Any help would be great...

ChopperBill

My mind is alway going for some reason or another. Love thinking about RV stuff. Well I got to thinking if I got some flat white paint and painted the brackets it wouldn't look near as tacky. Wont cost much and wont hurt anything so I am going to try that first.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
BTW - in discussing the surround sound, is it supposed to work all the time or just when the DVD system is working? Ours doesn't work when we are watching TV, except once in a great when we will hear a couple of seconds of "stereo" sound and then it reverts to the speakers on the TV. Of course, we are out of warranty at this time.

Tom of Ypsi

Mine does the same thing. I just thought it was a non stereo show with the comercials in stereo. When using a CD everything seems to work as it should. I wonder if this is something that could be looked at at the rally.

jbeletti

Chuck,

The surround sound processor is built into the stereo unit. You will only get true surround sound out of material that has surround channel content.

To get television sound out of the stereo and speaker system (surround or not), run a stereo audio cable with RCA male connectors from the audio output jacks on the back of the TV to the AUX audio input of the stereo.

Works pretty good. I connected a stereo A/V switcher to the input of that AUX input so I can switch from multiple external sources.

Jim

Westwind

Jim - Thanks for the post on how to connect the TV audio to the Radio Audio so the ceiling speakers will be used by the TV and the Radio, I just finished reading the RV/Radio information and didn't come away with the info that I needed. It seemed a waste for them only to be used for the radio and not the TV also.
My question is what other devices do you connect utilizing the Stereo A/V Switcher? I might want to consider doing the same.

jbeletti

Hi Westwind,

You have revived a 5 year old thread :)

I no longer have that coach. That was in my 2005 Landmark. If I recall correctly, I had the following connected to that A/V switcher:
- VCR (yep, 1/2" tape deck :)
- iPod
- Seems like I'm missing something else - sorry can't remember

Jim