Inexpensive easy modifications

Hoosier Wolverine

I often read on the forums about some great modifications. These range from simple to those requiring time, talent and expense. I'd like to see more of those "Why didn't I think of that" mods. I'm sure there are hundreds out there. I'm particularly interested in the quick and easy ones. For example, I altered some fridge magnets, writen on with magic markers, to stick to my propane tanks to show "Empty", "Active" and "Full". I also bought one of those spring clamps made for hanging a broom onto the garage wall to mount near the floor, just inside my BH entry door, to hold a small led flashlight. It can be reached from outside.
I'm sure everyone has something to offer, let's hear them.

2010augusta

Here are 3 of my favorite cheap mods that are applicable to most trailers.

Hamper lid suport
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/8454-Clothes-hamper-fix?highlight=
Dryer door clasp
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/8331-Simple-dryer-door-fix?highlight=
range top leveling
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/8616-Range-Grate-mod.?highlight=

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
How about velcro on the awning roller tube and the matching velcro on the awning strap. Then you can secure the strap on the roller tube and not have to wind it around the support arm. Quick and easy to get to also if you need to put the awning up quickly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We saw the pre-formed foam right angles (the kind for wrapping your pipes) at Home Depot. I had an 'a-ha!' moment! Perfect to cover the corners of the bedroom slide to keep us from injuring our heads!!

We also use 3M command aheasive hooks for various things in the trailer.

We use long Velcro-covered strips to wrap up the electric cord, since it's so awkward to store and move if it's not coiled up.

We added a few DOT regulation reflector strips (red and white, like you see on commercial semi-trailers) to the sides of the rig, to help people see it better at night at intersections.... Also makes it easier to spot in a dark park.

Found a furniture touch-up marker the same color as the cabinetry. Great for touching up rubs on the chairs or little bumps and nicks.

Added real curtains(instead of the decorative ones that dont actually work) to the bedroom windows, so now the sun doesn't wake us up every morning.

Turned our table to run parallel with the rig, and pushed it against the wall. Now the two of us face the window and the great outdoors when we eat. Gave us more room and a great view!

Use the hanging style Damp-Rid products to keep moisture down in the rig and basement while it's in storage.

We have small blue colored nightlights plugged in many ac outlets around the rig. They at not as distracting as regular white bulbs, but are bright enough to negotiate anywhere in the dark.

We added small rubber feet to the bottom of our sink covers. Now even if we forget and leave the sink cover out on the counter, it doesn't slide anywhere and scratch.

We added some nice grapevine artificial greenery on top of the cabinetry. Really makes it feel like a residential kitchen.

We used a labelmaker and added our 'own' labels to slide buttons. (kitchen, living, office) so we know at a glance which one is which.

Hope these help! I've posted a few pics in other threads.

-E

skyguy

Our former SOB had a smaller basement, and many items were laid flat and stacked. (Folding table, ladder, folding chairs..) More often than not, whatever I wanted to get out would be, ON THE BOTTOM! So everything else would have to come out too. The basement in our BH is tall enough that thes same items fit standing on edge rather than laying flat. This makes for more efficient use of space. To keep these upright, I installed two eyebolts in the front wall, and run a bungee cord from each, over the top of the accessories, and latching onto the last item in the stack. Now I can grab whatever I please, and it's never "ON THE BOTTOM!"

Al S

caissiel

Big Country slide hydraulics have no selector valves, On the first trip we got in trouble needing to open the main slide to reach the television area to tie the television that was left onfastened properly for travel. I promissed myself I would not have to open 3 slides before getting to the side I wanted opened.
Added 2 hoses to the rear slides and four 3500PSI Hydraulic valves and voila individual slide controls. We use it all the time when traveling, they are 1/4 turn, and I can see witch slide will open and witch one will not.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I picked up on this idea from someone else to prevent getting smacked in the keister by the ODS basement door.

View attachment 11739

A number of us have added aluminum cap to the bottom edge of the slides to protect the exposed plywood floors.

View attachment 11740

To have quick access to the basement behind the walls, there are variations of doors you can make.

View attachment 11741

Or, to make hooking up your water supply simpler, make yourself a manifold.

View attachment 11742

And if you have mice in your campsite getting into the rig, install a big mousetrap

View attachment 11743

Hoosier Wolverine

As usual :) you folks are amazingly innovative. So many great ideas.
I can see now how I'll spend my time this spring after the garden is planted.
I'm still reading your responses and making notes...great stuff

*still laughing at the mouser idea*

gpshemi

A number of us have added aluminum cap to the bottom edge of the slides to protect the exposed plywood floors.

View attachment 11740

Can you detail that out more? How did you get it to stay in place. What's it made of...ect ect.

To have quick access to the basement behind the walls, there are variations of doors you can make.

View attachment 11741

Those are sweet. I might make a set of those and paint them black.

Or, to make hooking up your water supply simpler, make yourself a manifold.

View attachment 11742

Another great idea that would be handy. I get tired of swapping my lines around. I wonder if there's a way to bury that behind the console or just rework the whole console? Wonder why they didn't design all those lines into one to start with. GREAT PROJECT!

JohnDar

Thanks, but most of the mods I've done have been inspired by others on this forum.

The aluminum caps are held on by the original trim pieces on the slides. I've applied a siliconized caulk to the inner faces of the caps before mounting them. Mine were "custom" bent by an aluminum siding company for about $12. Alan (2010Augusta) used drip cap he found at Home Depot. You can even buy it, ready made, from Heartland. Took me about 3 hours to do the three slides (bedroom didn't need it).

The doors make it possible to get at my plumbing and the surge suppressor/converter mounts. With my design, I don't have to clean out the basement to open them, unlike a swinging door. I could paint them black, I suppose. With the tabs that rotate to hold the panels, though, that would rub the paint off. I've thought about changing them to barrel locking bolts. Future project, maybe.

The manifold does take up space in the UDC, but I can still operate the waste valves without a problem. It does get in the way of the shower, but I don't use it anyways. The lower outlet on the manifold has a six foot length of hose with a garden nozzle on it for utility cleaning. Putting it behind the UDC would make it difficult to operate the valves, one of which is for the black tank flusher.

mountain1

I married for love and we are celebrating 44 years this week. Next time I find a woman that can do all these modifications because I am a real dummy when it comes to handy work.

jimtoo

I married for love and we are celebrating 44 years this week. Next time I find a woman that can do all these modifications because I am a real dummy when it comes to handy work.

After your wife sees this post, you may not make to the 44 year mark....:) :) BUT....,,,, being a MOD,,,, for a slight,,, little bitty... acknowledgement of my power,,,,,, you know ,,, the "delete key"... I could make the post disappear. :) In other words, send me all your bank information and credit cards. :) And POOF,, it will be gone. :)

SilverRhino

Heard somewhere that...."If you say it you can forget it, but if you write it you will regret it"! ;)

If it was me I would be sending the "bank info" on to "jimtoo" :D

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
After your wife sees this post, you may not make to the 44 year mark....:) :) BUT....,,,, being a MOD,,,, for a slight,,, little bitty... acknowledgement of my power,,,,,, you know ,,, the "delete key"... I could make the post disappear. :) In other words, send me all your bank information and credit cards. :) And POOF,, it will be gone. :)
Or for a smaller fee you can PM and I can tell you how to delete it yourself and cut out the MOD....I mean middle man.:p

Back to the subject, one of the cheapest and easiest mods we have done is adding 3 spice racks to the kitchen. Our model came with out any place to put spices and they were always clutering up the counter or cabinet.

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
One easy and inexpensive mod I did was to add a 2 inch square of white reflective tape to the corners of the steps. Now when leaving the trailer in dim light it is easy for everyone to see where the step is.

Bob Vaughn

Today I added a decorative shelf above the headboard on our bed in the 3250TS so I have a place to put my glasses and the tv remote when I am ready to go to sleep....I also hung a shoe holder perpendicular to the clothes rod in the closet. Last week I added shelves where the washer/dryer is supposed to go. I removed the TP holder which was next to the commode which was in the way when using the facilities and put a freestanding one in...I added a 5 drawer cabinet to the left end of the closet for all the odds and ends.

JohnDar

Some other mods I've done were to add a towel rack in the bathroom.

View attachment 12051
Put some shelves in the back of the tall, deep kitchen cabinets for better storage/organization.
View attachment 12052View attachment 12053
Lined the closet with cedar strip paneling
View attachment 12054
Put rubber covers around the hydraulic ram ports on the frame to keep mice out.
View attachment 12055
Cut off about 3 feet of excess duct to the bedroom to remove folds in it behind the walls. Installed a flexible elbow to remove the droop.
View attachment 12056
Added a Charge Wizard Pendant to my converter so I know what it's doing. Looking at it explained why my lights brighten unexpectedly at night, then return to normal. It's boosting the battery per the indicator. It's between the awning switch and the Progressive Surge Suppressor indicator box.
View attachment 12057

This spring, I'll be adding a 5th Airborne pin box, Reico-Titan Ground Control jacks, a Sensar IV antenna head, and a motion sensor porch light. Right now, they're taking up space in the garage.