wood floor joists?

jarebe

I just noticed the 2008's have wood floor joists.Why did they go to that.I'm pretty sure 2007 was aluminum from roof to floor.We have a 3200bhs and I think it has aluminum floor joists.

newman

I was looking into this on the heartland site and saw that they are using wood for ceiling trusses as well. It also states that they are installing 15K btu A/C as standard. It seems that some of the info is contradictory when you compare them to different publications on the Heartland site.

guy_914

wood floor joists/wood ceiling trusses????

We just ordered a BH 3400RL last week from Wagners RV in WI. Our sales rep mentioned the change on the wood floor joists....but...is still aluminum on the upper deck bath/bedroom. He told us the ceiling suport trusses are still aluminum on the 2008 designs for BHs being made now. So...I dont think this is correct on a change to wood in the ceiling trusses. i would be really disappointed if our sales rep or the factory gave us wrong info on this

John

tcbrady

The ceiling in the Bighorn has aluminum roof trusses. Hope this helps with your question.

thanks!

guy_914

wood floor joists/ceiling trusses....BigHorn models

Thanks for setting us straight Coley, we appreciate your timely feedback. Just a quick comment....one of major (IMO) things that sets BH FWs apart from the competition is the extensive use of welded aluminum components in the structure. I think this is a "premium" feature that had a significant impact on our purchase decision. "Engineering" types like myself appreciate that kind of difference. So if you ever have any input on BH design changes down the road...please let the marketing folks know this feature is a "big deal" to many of us.

Thanks for listening

John

Scott

It's really pretty simple. Aluminum prices are going through the roof and the vast majority of our competition in this price point has wood floors. Combine this with the fact that a number of dealers are reporting to us that in the mid-pro price point, cost is one of the biggest factors, and while we will be the first to tell you quality is important - it's also about getting your money's worth out of a feature - and we simply were not. Wood floors are something that every person has in their permanent homes and is something that is very typical in the RV industry. With Heartland's one-piece seamless floor decking, the studs underneath that it is attached to just wasn't a big selling factor with customers.
I absolutely respect your opinion that you would rather have the more expensive aluminum, and I hope that you respect that fact that we need to stay competitive in order to sell coaches and this is one area where we were able to pass on some savings to the customer - while still providing a quality floor.
ST

JJAK17

Scott
I will buying a 2007 Sundance 3200rbh. I am wondering if the flooring and roof are aluminum or wood. It appears that under the bed(5th wheel) it is aluminum but I am wondering if the remainder of the trailer is aluminum. I was told by the dealer that the 2007's had switched from aluminum to wood in mid-production. Is there any truth to this and is there any way I can find out for myself? I am getting conflicting stories from the dealer. Ironically I am buying my Sundance from Wagners RV in Wisconsin also.
I have also heard of missing welds on some frames. Is there any truth to this?
Can you help clarify the 2007's for me. Thank you

Smurf764

Ditto

JJAK17 said:
Scott
I will buying a 2007 Sundance 3200rbh. I am wondering if the flooring and roof are aluminum or wood. It appears that under the bed(5th wheel) it is aluminum but I am wondering if the remainder of the trailer is aluminum. I was told by the dealer that the 2007's had switched from aluminum to wood in mid-production. Is there any truth to this and is there any way I can find out for myself? I am getting conflicting stories from the dealer. Ironically I am buying my Sundance from Wagners RV in Wisconsin also.
I have also heard of missing welds on some frames. Is there any truth to this?
Can you help clarify the 2007's for me. Thank you

Thanks for asking that; I was going to ask the same question!