Question for Dodge Guys

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
I've been very happy with my "old" HD 2500 96' truck. I was dissapointed that the V-10 was left orphaned, and no performance upgrades worth mentioning ever made. In it's time it was a killer on those diesels. Technology has made it fairly lame against them now. My question is: Is Dodge going to make a 4500 to keep up with Ford. There are already 4500 chassis cabs in Mexico, it wouldn't be a big stretch to do this. I like Dodges, but commom sense dictates that I make my next truck a Ford. What say You ?

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
About time that Dodge caught up with Ford and GM. Wonder how long before they will put a pick-up box from the factory on it like Ford is now advertising? Also a Mega-cab would be nice.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Just order the Dodge 4500 with a roll back bed. That way you would be able to help out a friend by hauling one of those Ford or Chevy truck to the dealer while towing your 5th wheel. ;)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I wish one of the big three would have the Cat engine like a C9 as an option. Now that would be a really nice truck. An in-line 6 with 1150 foot-pounds of torque! With that engine, I would not care what manufacturer's name is on the tailgate. :D

billd

Denny, I would go to my local Dodge dealer and talk to the fleet manager about getting one of these through an upfitter that would put a pickup truck bed on it for you.

Bill

BluegrassMan

I was talking to the Ford dealer a good while ago concerning an F650. He said at that time 550's and up were being considered as a commercial truck by the Federal Govt. The tax on it would be 12%. With Pa's 6% + 12% on a 60+ thousand dollar truck ? OUCH ! They were waiting to see what the ruling would be. There was a guy getting a 40' Teton and a 550 with a hauler bed on it. If they were going to impose the tax on it the deal was OFF. I haven't heard what happened with the commercial tax. I assume it isn't on the truck, cause I see them on the interstates.

jpmorgan37

Joe and Denny;
I can speak about the F-550. I paid 3% tax in South Dakota and my vehicle insurance rate actually went down several dollars from my GMC 2500 HD. As long as I am not hauling commercially, I don't need a CDL and it is not subject to DOT codes. It is tagged as a private vehicle. I would check with you state DMV and you can do all of that on line. There may be some ways around it, but I don't know in Pennsylvania.
John