Uneven Camping Question

gratton

I thought I would run something by the forum for a sanity check. I have a BC 3450TS which is 38 1/2 feet long. The campsite that we like the most to use during the summer is very uneven back to front. The front having a big slope downward. In our previous SOB trailer it was not a problem as it was not as long. However, our new one creates a challenge getting it level front to back. The site is a back in site and I back in as far as I can. Last summer I was never able to get the unit completely level. I lowered the front landing gear as far down it would go while attached to the truck. Then once unhooked from the truck I raised the front as far as it would go, and still not level. So my thought is this. Get 2 10 ton bottle jacks. Once the trailer is unhooked from the truck use a jack in each side of the trailed. Placing the jacks on the frame and raise them a little at a time on each side as to not flex the frame much. Then once I have raised the trailer enough by the jacks place boards under the feet of the landing gear and then raise the front of the trailer with the landing gear. So with all this said does this sound like something that is workable and am I going about this the right way?

irvin56

Why can you not just put more boards under front before you even unhook the trailer??, then you don't need the jacks to lift it more to level out. basically you are doing the same thing as using the bottle jacks ?? Less work to doing it that way.
Unless you can not unhook unit with more boards under legs, because of the slope.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I had the same thought as Irvin56, but with the addition that you want to make sure you have a good set of wheel chock between your trailer wheels before you release the truck hitch. ( you probably are alreay doing so, but just a reminder)

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I was also in that spot once. The easy way is to jack the 5er up from the bed of your truck. Disconnect the pin hitch and drive forward a foot or so, then using wood as a buffer place your jack in your truck bed under the pin.

caissiel

As a second solution, I would build a ramp for the truck rear wheels to raise the front of the trailer with the truck, as long as you can move the truck about 6" ahead before the wheels of the truck go down and use it again when hooking up again. This of course depends on the amount of lift required.

a third solution could be to drop the legs and take the trailer off the truck. lift the front some and then put blocking under the frame to hold it while you again release the landing gears to extend them again to gain height required. You could do that more then once.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Why not construct some pads to put under the landing gear, thus reducing the amount of extension required just to get the trailer off the hitch? That would give you more upward travel left to actually level the rig. Although our seasonal site is fairly level, I still put one of these pads under the jacks and stabilizers. Reduces the initial extension on the front jacks by 5". These are constructed as a unit, not loose boards.

If you're going to attempt to put cribbing under the frame, be sure you do it properly.

View attachment 11765

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If the campground will let you and you use that site all the time (every year) why not dig out the back to make it more level.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If the campground will let you and you use that site all the time (every year) why not dig out the back to make it more level.

Or, if it's dirt, ask them to run their Bobcat (the machine, not the Texas one) or whatever over it to level it out a bit for you during the off season. If you dig on your own, make sure you ask and know where the sewer and electrical lines are, and how deep.

gratton

Thank you everyone for you help. I knew if I threw it out here you would be able to help. My thought process was flawed in thinking that by extending the the internal portion of the landing gear I would me able to extend them much further. But you cleared that up for me that I will not gain anything, I can only extend them so far regardless of how much I extend the internal portion. And by adding more pads first I will gain the required amount of lift I need. I normally place a couple of lynex levelers under the front to begin with, in addition to chocking the wheels. I was not fond of the idea if extending the internal part more to begin with as this allows more sway.

Thanks Again.