Need input on new camping gear and accessories

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
So here's the deal. I work for an RV repair and parts store. I get to order new stuff for our housewares and accessory section at the store. The Boss is going to a big show in February, and I get to re-stock a couple sections of the store. What I need from you RV'ers are some ideas of what you wished camping stores carried, new stuff you've seen and put on your wish list and items you just can't live without.
I already have a list to update some of our sadly outdated stuff (harvest gold dish drainer mats anyone?) but I'd really like to stock what Rv'ers will buy, and not just stuff I think is cool. LOL
Any and all suggestions are appreciated!
Thanks!
Deb

Last edited:

GETnBYE

This may not be out there, but I would love to have a piece to fit on the end of my vacuum hose that gets small enough at the end to fit down into the heat vents to vac up the dust bunnies and saw dust we have in there after not using the heat vents for the summer.

caokgafamily

SLMAYOR,

See if you can stock those new bedroom glass sliding door black lock latches? I tried to get the manager at CW to stock them, he seemed not interested.

Steve

jbeletti

Good idea Steve. Deb, those latches are made by SEA.

Deb - you mentioned dish drainer and that reminds me of a dish pan. Most Heartland coaches now come with stainless steel sinks. I think, but am not sure, that the sink opening dimensions are mostly similar. I had to try a few before I found one that perfectly fit the sink. When I wash dishes, I use the dish pan by nestling it into one of the sinks. Something to consider - that "just right" dish pan.

50 amp to 30 amp electrical adapter.

Single and double cartridge whole house style water filter canisters and sediment and charcoal filters.

Water hose-type quick connectors.

Lego blocks for use under landing jack pads.

Tie down straps (indoors kind) that are black in color, about 1" wide, have a plastic buckle are about 3 to 4 feet long and have hardware on each end to screw the ends into the coach. Heartland uses these on chairs to keep them secure and I use a bunch of them to hold down things like satellite receiver, LCD projector and other gear.

Various lengths of pre-connectorized coax cable that is good to at least 1500 mHz. Short 2' jumpers are good inside the UDC to jumper roof satellite into coach. 6' general use jumpers to be used to jumper gear together. Long (25', 50') jumpers to extend portable satellite dish. Carry F-81 barrel splices also. Also consider push-on F connectors.

I am ab out to try the Blue Streak chemical dispenser in my new coach. That would be cool to have in the store, plus the consumables. Have an installed price too that includes 30 minutes of shop labor.

Gas struts/Shocks of various lengths/strengths.

LED and standard replacement bulbs for common RV fixtures and LED replacement lighting for exterior markers and stop/running lights.

Wall plate style (in brown) and bracket style 12-volt DC outlets.

Florescent light fixtures (12v) that are maybe 18" in length (dual tube) to be used to replace pancake lights for upgrades.

Putty sticks in common colors (I can get you the brand and colors we use as they gave be several the other day).

Fridge fans and batteries.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're going to start stocking a lot of neat, hard to find stuff, how about a website we can order from?? BIG discount for HOC members!!! [SMACK!!, OK, I'm awake now)

Enough of the wise guy stuff, how about some over the door towel racks or shower caddies, similar to mine. I recall several people upset because they didn't have towel racks or places for their necessities in the shower. These were either from BB & B or WallyWorld, don't remember which.

sdagro

Guess we need to be careful what we ask for. Great list of items. Steve
Good idea Steve. Deb, those latches are made by SEA.

Deb - you mentioned dish drainer and that reminds me of a dish pan. Most Heartland coaches now come with stainless steel sinks. I think, but am not sure, that the sink opening dimensions are mostly similar. I had to try a few before I found one that perfectly fit the sink. When I wash dishes, I use the dish pan by nestling it into one of the sinks. Something to consider - that "just right" dish pan.

50 amp to 30 amp electrical adapter.

Single and double cartridge whole house style water filter canisters and sediment and charcoal filters.

Water hose-type quick connectors.

Lego blocks for use under landing jack pads.

Tie down straps (indoors kind) that are black in color, about 1" wide, have a plastic buckle are about 3 to 4 feet long and have hardware on each end to screw the ends into the coach. Heartland uses these on chairs to keep them secure and I use a bunch of them to hold down things like satellite receiver, LCD projector and other gear.

Various lengths of pre-connectorized coax cable that is good to at least 1500 mHz. Short 2' jumpers are good inside the UDC to jumper roof satellite into coach. 6' general use jumpers to be used to jumper gear together. Long (25', 50') jumpers to extend portable satellite dish. Carry F-81 barrel splices also. Also consider push-on F connectors.

I am ab out to try the Blue Streak chemical dispenser in my new coach. That would be cool to have in the store, plus the consumables. Have an installed price too that includes 30 minutes of shop labor.

Gas struts/Shocks of various lengths/strengths.

LED and standard replacement bulbs for common RV fixtures and LED replacement lighting for exterior markers and stop/running lights.

Wall plate style (in brown) and bracket style 12-volt DC outlets.

Florescent light fixtures (12v) that are maybe 18" in length (dual tube) to be used to replace pancake lights for upgrades.

Putty sticks in common colors (I can get you the brand and colors we use as they gave be several the other day).

Fridge fans and batteries.

slmayor

Good ideas guys, keep them coming!
Jim B, We have all those items you listed already in stock except the chemical dispenser. Now you know why I was a customer before I went to work for them. :)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Suggestions from a woman's point of view:

Here's some ideas, thinking about decor in the trailer and how to make the space useful and coordinated.

Command adheasive products, like the metal hooks, in the different finishes. (I've seen oil rubbed bronze, brushed nickel, and bright silver)

Products for adding pull-out shelves and trash cans and such for your cabinets. (seen this at Home improvement stores)

replacement vent covers for AC and Heat vents, in colors (brown, white, off white): ones that are adjustable, or able to close off a vent alltogether.

The oversized rocker switches in colors (white, off white, black, etc....For some reason I really like a large switch I can find in the dark!)

replacement fabric shades, or at least parts for them

I like seeing little shelves, spice racks and remote-holders and such, but they seem to only be available in light stained OAK. I'd like to see options in other finishes, like cherry.

toilet paper and towel holder options in a variety of finishes

Maybe even a selection of small tables (end tables, coffee tables, that soft of thing, I've seen options at Hobby Lobby)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
My nickels worth. I don't own or work in retail but I get stuck on price comparison. I can go into an RV accessory store and see something I'd like to have but know I can find it cheaper elsewhere so I wait till later to buy. If dealers could price things more competitively they may sell more after market goods.

slmayor

Keep these ideas coming! I've already found a small dish pan and the closet door latches suggested in earlier posts.

Ray, as to pricing, we're fairly competitive, but it all boils down to economy of scale. In the RV industry, most all products, with only a few exceptions, come through a wholesaler, so everybody gets a piece of the pie. If you buy more, like CW, they get a bigger discount and lower prices for the consumer. Those that are online, don't have a high overhead or a bunch of employees, as they don't stock, but drop-ship merchandise from the warehouses. They never handle it, so don't have to pay someone to unpack, price, stock and then pull, package and ship.
That being said, neither CW or the online guys will be there for you when you break down at 4:45 on a Saturday afternoon. The small places will, and they will also give you, for free, literally millions of dollars in advice to help solve your problems. Or at least the good ones will. The really good ones will have the same techs for years, so they get to know your rig and it's quirks, and they will take care of you when you're in a bind.
Everybody has to watch their pennies these days, and I understand price shopping as I do it myself. We'll generally get as close as we can to the discount pricing on larger purchases, but on the small stuff, we might be 25 cents higher or surprisingly, sometimes cheaper than CW. It does pay to check the small guys out and not assume they're more. Just my 2 cents. :)

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
My nickels worth. I don't own or work in retail but I get stuck on price comparison. I can go into an RV accessory store and see something I'd like to have but know I can find it cheaper elsewhere so I wait till later to buy. If dealers could price things more competitively they may sell more after market goods.

I agree with Ray! Usually if we need something and the price is our of this world! Say toilet paper for $.99 per roll (not a 4 pack roll but 1 roll!) hence I will go to a discount store and purchase for 1/4 the price! Or a wood spice rack - color other than light oak!!!
Reality is - if you will stock with more competetive pricing, and have an internet site - your sales would probably make you a hero!

Stinger381

I would think that things for pets would be popular items .... fold flat dog crates, feeding bowls, dog food holders. Just thinking .....

slmayor

I would think that things for pets would be popular items .... fold flat dog crates, feeding bowls, dog food holders. Just thinking .....
Great ideas, and we do carry some dog items as we have a store dog named Gabby. who won't let us forget about the pets. :)

cashb

Ditto on the cherry wood remote holders, magazine racks, spice racks, etc. And on the new style closet door clasps. I bought stock wood shelves from Michaels, painted them and installed them in bathroom and kitchen. Another cool item are the realistic looking battery candles that now come with a timer switch that will come on at the same time of evening automatically! And then shut off too. Recliner side tables and coffee tables that fold away, in different stains to match rv interiors.