Looking at ordering a 3010

ElkStalker

Hello all,

I am looking at ordering a 3010 and wonder what you guys think. Here in MT camping spots are tight so length is a concern so the 3010 fits the bill. The options I want are dual pane windows as it gets cold in the fall, do they help that much? I have a portable yamaha 2400 generator that I used for my Wildcat to run the A/C and it worked great. Saving weight and cost of a onan Generator looks like the way to go. Seems like most people have the gen? Do you guys use them a lot, how do you like them, how much do they weigh?

Thanks

goldbrick

Hey Elkstalker, Just picked up a 2011 3010 on Jan 7. I wish I Knew then what I know now. Love the 3010 but do not love the generator. That thing is a gas hog. It is big enough to run 2 ac units but I only have the one and don't plan on adding another. As long as you keep the sliding door shut and don't cool the garage I think one ac unit should be sufficient except in extreme heat. The supplied converter/charger takes forever to charge the battery(one 12v) so you pay big bucks for even minimal 12v use. I would save the money the Onan costs and spend it on 4 Trojan 105-T's, a 50? amp auto style charger, and an inverter sized to fit your 110v needs. I plan on adding 250-300 watts of solar panels eventually in addition to the aforementioned accessories. You may want to add a wet bolt kit to the suspension and better tires also.
Hope this helps,
Merton

jimtoo

Hi Goldbrick,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family of owners. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

szewczyk_john

We just bought a Road Warrior 305 which has the same floor plan. I always used a Honda 3000iu inverter for our old Jayco. Does any one else want to chime in on the onan, I was happy to have a gen set in the camper but a gas hog? I never heard that complaint before. I will be keeping my two six volt batteries as that set up proved to be 10 times better than the 2 marine battery set up I used to have. I would like to here more comments.

Riverman

I too wish we had asked the question prior to ordering and got the dual pane windows.
The Onan does burn a lot of fuel as compared to the Honda we packed with our SOB, but its nice to not have to worry about making toast while the microwave is running etc.
Kinda handy not having to slip outside to start the genny also.
If you generally don't boondock, I would delete the Cummins Onan
JMO

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I had(still have) two Honda eu2000i's that I can put in parallel to run one air in my SOB, (that is for sale). I ordered my Bighorn with the LP Onan and 2 airs. I plan on boondocking and spending time in the desert. The issue with the portables is having a place to mount them permanently (or semi permanantly). Moving them from under the trailer has become a pain for me because of an iffy back. Portables are ripe for theives in certain areas, so I don't like leaving them exposed. (chains can be cut)
If you look at consumption of fuel on the Onan website you will see they are not thrifty on fuel.
When I ordered I had planned on using my Hondas, but when I saw that start switch for the Onan it sure looked alot easier than hauling my portables around. So I ordered it.
That said, My plan is to carry one of the Hondas as a Plan B, if I'm running low on propane, or just as a backup.

As for the windows, I just went through the whole 9 yards on the dual pane subject. I got them on mine ,thanks to great help from a lot of fine folks here and at Heartland. Here is that link,//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...L-dual-pane-windows-R-factor-and-added-weight
Hope it helps, Trace

Last edited:

sdrubrecht

We love our 3010. Dont have dual pane so cant speak to that question. Havnt noticed gas hog on the genny, seem to use about as much as our Yamaha 3000 did on our last TT. Nothing better than just hitting a button for power instead of having to go out and and rig extension cords and start the genny, especially when it is cold or raining. Wife starts it all by herself. I think the genny weighs about 350 lbs.I heard they changed from Lippert to Dexter suspension. If not, that would be something to consider. Our Cyclone is 14 months old, ( about 6000 miles) and in the shop now for new springs and a Dexter easyflex. I would also order it with real tires, if they wont change it at the factory, drive straight to the nearest tire store and get rid of those China bombs. Give them to someone you dont like, LOL. We had 3 blowouts in the first 2000 miles. Just to be safe, I weighed my Clone and was right at GVW. Good luck with your new Cyclone, let me now If you need any help with that elkstalking.

TNT

We have an '09 3210 and love having the Onan. We had another toy hauler for 2 1/2 years before our Cyclone and constantly worried about the portable being stolen. Also had a more difficult time selling that toy hauler without an Onan in her, even with stating our portable would be thrown in the deal. Haven't noticed the Onan being a gas hog, usually keep a few extra gallons in her in case we need it to re-fill the atv or in a pinch the Harley. Best of luck on your purchase and when you get her, lots of fun!

Vtxkid

Can't speak on the dual pane subject either as we don't have them. Wish we did because all I've heard is good things by others... As far as the Onan, we had SOB and had a 3500 homelite Genny that we brought along when needed, as others have said, theft is a major concern that kept me uneasy a lot of times. We have had our 3010 since last July and the first trip we took was to the WV Mountainfest Bike event which was great and it was considered dry camping. We put about 100 hours on the Onan that weekend and I did notice that it was not quite as efficient but again my homelite was only a 3500. Advantages are hitting a switch and it purrs, large fuel cell which is also handy for topping off a fuel tank, and running the A/C along with the microwave or central vac is no longer a concern... Love it!

goldbrick

Thanks for the welcome Jim, been lurking and learning. sdrubrecht- you are correct. My 3010 has Dexter suspension. There is no wet bolt kit installed on it though. According to the manual that is an optional heavy duty attaching parts kit //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon9.png.
Just installed 4 6v Trojan 105 solars today. These batteries are taller than a regular 105 with more capacity. It was a tight fit shoe-horning them and the battery boxes in under the hydraulics in the generator compartment. I had to modify one battery box lid lid slightly:rolleyes:. The install ended up looking good so I am very happy to have way more 12v storage capacity.

TandT

Thanks for the welcome Jim, been lurking and learning. sdrubrecht- you are correct. My 3010 has Dexter suspension. There is no wet bolt kit installed on it though. According to the manual that is an optional heavy duty attaching parts kit //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon9.png.
Just installed 4 6v Trojan 105 solars today. These batteries are taller than a regular 105 with more capacity. It was a tight fit shoe-horning them and the battery boxes in under the hydraulics in the generator compartment. I had to modify one battery box lid lid slightly:rolleyes:. The install ended up looking good so I am very happy to have way more 12v storage capacity.
goldbrick, How about some pics of your battery installation? I've got to do one myself soon. Thanks

goldbrick

I took pictures of the battery install, got them resized and my verizon internet went down before I could post. On my sprint phone now:) will post pics when able:(

goldbrick

O.K.- lets try posting pics on this forum (my 1st time:))

Attachments

• phpEVYZe5PM.JPG
    phpEVYZe5PM.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 67
  • phpJ2hR1BPM.JPG
    phpJ2hR1BPM.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 68
  • phppzgwZRPM.JPG
    phppzgwZRPM.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 59

szewczyk_john

I used 2 six volts with the old jayco travel trailer and planned on using them in the new road warrior 305. I have been looking for taller boxes like the ones pictured. Where did you get them from? How much? what benefits do you realize with four six volts over just two? With the generator it is really overkill with 4 right? I imaine you can go a long time without charging them?

goldbrick

Typing on phone so will be brief. Can add detail later on install tips and pitfalls. Batteries $596. Wiring $51. Boxes $65 each, made in Canada, no name. I bought at discount solar in quartzsite AZ. Ithink they are on the net. Shop around I think u can beat these prices.

TandT

O.K.- lets try posting pics on this forum (my 1st time:))
Very clean job. One question. What about venting to keep battery vapors away from the genny heat, spark, etc. Is that necessary? Thanks ,Trace

ElkStalker

I have a few more questions.

I sold our Wildcat 32qbbs last fall and it was a great camper for our needs. We have 4 kids from soon to be 11 down to almost 2. The bunk house was a great design and the kids had a play area and had great storage. The problem was all the bikes, coolers, dog, bows and targets, and what not! My wife and I thought if we could get our asking price which I listed a fair price we would sell it and go for a toy hauler. Well after getting the CAT clean as a wistle the first couple that looked at it drove it home. Just a little bit of sellers remores as it looked so good and clean!

Anyway here we are trying to decide on a Toy Hauler. Living in MT most of our camping is dry and in small forest service campground which means small spots so the 3010 and a Rolling Thunder 341rgr are the two unit we are deciding on. My TV is a dodge megacab DRW with a B&W companion hitch, Thats the background.

The garage is intended for kids stuff, play area, dinning are for the kids, and sleep area for them. Often we will travel and stop at a walmart for the night if we are on a long trip. Can the Queen beds be lowered half way down and use just one? I don't want to unload the garage first. That would make a quick stop a lot easier if the sleeping bags were all ready to go, brush teeth and good night.

Anyone towing with a megacab? How is your turning radius? How is the ground clearance in the back? I back my camper up my short driveway but don't want to drag the back end. Can the 3010 be adjusted to raise the camper?

I won't have much weight in the garage, any problems towing or will it just give me a heavy pin weight?

That all I can think of right now. Thanks