Internet 'air card'

noobee

Matt:

I am very interested in getting a 'air card' for internet service while I'm traveling in the US (I have a Telus 'air card' for Canada under a plan that allows we to put the service on vacation hold for a minimal monthly charge).

For the US, I'm interested in a month-to-month service. Virgin's plan for $40 per month after the purchase of the 'air card' is quite interesting until you look at the coverage map. It has especially limited coverage in the southwest part of Texas & the I15 corridor north of Utah (these are two areas that we frequently travel).

Is there an offering(s) from other suppliers that provide better coverage in the same price range as Virgin's?

CS

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
I am using a MiFi from Verizon, it will support as many as 5 devices at 1 time that way DW doesn't have to wait to use her computer. Cost is $50.00 per month for 5 gig of service per month. Not sure if they will put it on vacation. Service has been excellent on coverage areas.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have the Verizon UM175 air card which we have had for about 4 years now without any problems while traveling. We also just bought a Cradlepoint 900 router which works fantastic in the house running several wifi/bluetooth devices at once but haven't tried it camping yet. Will let you know how that works in about 6 weeks.

mlburst1

Another option is Millenicom - their no contract, 20GB monthly plan uses the Verizon network. Additionally, the USB adapter is free through the end of January.

Mike

3Gstore

Virgin mobile was a popular option when it first came out but several users had issues with speed and reliability from the device. Be sure to check out our article on Sprint VS Virgin, we've found that there is a huge performance difference. The service would be nice to compliment another providers service, but I'd be wary for full time use. Also, this service was originally offered as unlimited but they've released new terms - Virgin introduces 5GB cap

We do offer a service through DataJack that offers prepaid for $49.99/mo using the Sprint network. This service isn't unlimited and comes with a 5GB cap but doesn't suffer from the issues Virgin does in terms of speed.

I'm sure if you ask anybody in the forums they'll tell you that Verizon is the top dog when it comes to complete coverage. So, if you're doing a lot of traveling I'd recommend considering them even though they can be more expensive. You'd actually have 2 options with Verizon and one may be better if you'll be staying in the states for a few consecutive months.

Option 1: Verizon PrePaid

You'd need to purchase a no contract Verizon device then contact Verizon to activate prepaid service. Verizon's pre-paid service is available in increments of 100MB ($15, lasts for 1 day), 300MB ($30, expires after 7 days), 1GB ($50, expires after 30 days), or 5GB ($80, expires after 30 days).

Option 2: MiFi 2200 on month to month

The MiFi 2200 offers 3 unique tiers exclusive to it - 3GB for $35/mo, 5GB for $50/mo & 10GB for $80/mo. You'd have to pay a $35 activation fee going month to month but with this price structure you'd be be better off paying that fee as you get more data for the dollar compared to the prepaid option.

Let me know how long you'll be stateside and we can figure out which would be the most cost effective for you. I'd also recommend checking our coverage maps so you can compare all the carriers service. If you'll be in specific area's you can compare and get a better idea of which provider would be ideal for you.

PS - Sorry for the delayed response, I replied yesterday and for some reason it never appeared in the thread.