Auxillary Fuel Tank...Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Dr1ft3r

Hello the forum...
I just bought an '08 Cyclone 3210, and I love it. Anyway while on my maiden voyage I found myself stopping way too often for diesel. This issue is very much compounded when pulling (a longer rig than I'm used to pulling) into and out of service stations. This process is very stressful...especially for a newbie.
Anyway, I've decided it would behoove me to shop for an extended range external fuel tank so I can minimize my fuel stopping stress level. :)
My pull vehicle is an '05 Chev 3/4 ton Duramax long-box crew-cab.
I would sure like some advice from folks that have already been down this road.
Thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Many go with the in-bed fuel tanks, of varying sizes and abilities. At this moment, my truck is at the shop to have a Transfer Flow 56 gallon midship replacement tank installed. I didn't want to lose bed space with the external mount and figure 56 gallons will get me further than I plan to drive in a day and still have a good reserve. The OEM tank was 34 gallons.

There are several manufacturers and options, but this is the one I settled on.

http://www.transferflow.com/index.html

hillsonwheels

Hey,

I too have been down that road of "wondering where the next fuel stop is"! Why in the world Chevrolet sells a truck with a "tow package" that does not have a larger fuel cell beats the stuffin' outta me.

I've got an '08 Silverado. Got tired of worrying. Bought and installed over last winter a Transfer Flow 50 gallon aux tank with an auto transfer system. LOVE IT! :) I know there will be other folks who will weigh in with their solutions but I'm extremely satisfied. 76 gallons takes the worry out.

If you are a handy gadget.....the install can be done in about a half day. Scary part is poking large holes in a perfectly good truck bed! :(

Dick

ATLJOHN

I purchased my truck last year used and lucky to have the Transfer Flow 50 gal tank with tool box on top. I did not realize how lucky I was until we made our long trip from Ga to OH last year. With 86 gals total you can pick and choose when and where to fill up. Also with the auto switch you can run down to 1/4 tank each and you still have emergency fuel if needed.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have had the Combo tank since 2006 and never had any problem. It is connected in the fuel line with a switch on the dash to swap tanks. I do not have to run a pump to transfer fuel to the main tank. They also have the wiring and installation instructions to connect to the OEM fuel gage.

American Tank

BC

rustyshakelford

I have a transferflow tool box/fuel tank combo. If I were to do it again, I'd probably get an rds tool box/fuel tank combo from northern tool. I really like the quality and the fact that they come with a fuel gauge also. The tank has been one of my favorite mods so far

Brett

hoefler

I have a L shaped tank under my tool box. I can carry a total of about 115 gallons, that will get me between 1,000 to 1,200 miles pulling the Landmark. Wouldn't be with out it!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
How hard is it to install one of these tanks? I had some one price one and it seems like I can get it for like 800 cheaper. I'm sure there's other items needed but 800 seems a lot.

jnbhobe

I have the same thing as Splash except I pump my fuel into the main tank. When I change trucks next time I will go with a combo unit and a 60 gal. tank.

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I have a 2010 Ford F-350, I have been shopping for a larger fuel tank too. The Ranch Hand store in Oklahoma City has several in bed tanks some with tool boxes. They also have a 76 Gallon tank that replaces the original tank. I am leaning in that direction so that I don't give up any bed space... If anyone has done this I would like to hear from you to see how you like this system.

JohnDar

I have a 2010 Ford F-350, I have been shopping for a larger fuel tank too. The Ranch Hand store in Oklahoma City has several in bed tanks some with tool boxes. They also have a 76 Gallon tank that replaces the original tank. I am leaning in that direction so that I don't give up any bed space... If anyone has done this I would like to hear from you to see how you like this system.

Different brand and a bit smaller (56 gallon), but that's the route I'm taking. Most of the time, though, our rig will be on a seasonal site over the summer, with other forays before and after we park it. So turning my truck into a fuel tanker isn't really necessary. 56 gallons will get me farther than I would care to drive in a single day with the rig, anyways. The installation is tomorrow. See Post #2.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
John, Thanks for the link. I will probably go your route. The extra 20 gal. would be nice. A lot less weight involved, than adding an additional 100 gal + the 100lbs for the in bed tank=close to a thousand lbs!
I'm too close to my GVWR, with my present truck for that.

JohnDar

John, Thanks for the link. I will probably go your route. The extra 20 gal. would be nice. A lot less weight involved, than adding an additional 100 gal + the 100lbs for the in bed tank=close to a thousand lbs! I'm too close to my GVWR, with my present truck for that.

You may be in luck, living in CA. Transfer Flow is in Chico, I think, and had some deal on installs at their facility on their website. I think Titan is another one with midship tanks, possibly in molded plastic like the OEM's. The Transfer Flow tank is aluminized steel.

Cimriver

I have a short bed so didn't want to go with an in bed tank. I replaced my fuel tank with an after market tank from Titan. The new one has a capacity of 51 gallons. I believe they have 56 gal tank for a long bed. Here is a link - http://www.titanfueltanks.com/

JohnDar

Well, my 56 gallon Transfer Flow tank is now riding under the truck. The only thing that is not reading correctly is the Fuel Range display on the DIC. Transfer Flow told me it would not be correct and they did not think it could be reprogrammed for the increased fuel volume. Everything else works, along with my credit card filling that puppy. I could almost see the display on the pump grinning from ear to ear. On to more upgrade goodies.

Dr1ft3r

Thanks for the info. I really like the American Tank, but the price with shipping is on the steep side. The RDS tank from Northern Tool sounds like a good option too. Aaargh...decisions.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I installed the RDS 60 gal combo into my 2500HD last weekend. Once I figured how to make it fit under my Laredo roll-top bed cover the process was pretty easy.

The only "unknown" I ran into was when cutting the fuel line, I was surprised to find that I had cut an "inner" line to......turns out this line keeps your OE tank from "burping" when you fill up.

Other than that surprise the setup works great! It is gravity feed with a manual cut off/on. I added a 8" piece of pvc to the on/off valve lever so I don't have to reach all the way over truck rail and down to the bottom corner of tank. If I was made of $$$, the in-the-cab on/off would be nice.....but for twice the money....I don't think so! :rolleyes:

PUG

Pug
I built my own from alum pieces and welded it all together. Had several problems but finally got it working fine with a gravity flow rds kit. I made it to fit under my tool box and gives another 30 gallons. AFter correcting the welding and warping problems (welder was not to good) I probably could have just had one made at a local shop for close to the same price. Good experience though.

Where I like a toolbox and had one, in retrospect I would have picked one up with a L shaped tank and toolbox and sold the old toolbox. It is easy to bolt them down. The RDS gravity flow kit is easy where I just brought the line from the tank down through the bed and cut into the rubber fill hose to the main tank. The RDS kit is T shaped so you just slip it into the rubber fill line, clamp it, and it is good to go. I put a manual valve on the side of the aux tank to turn it on or off as I wish. The RDS kit is made to not overflow the main tank when the upper aux tank valve is left on. I also installed two ports on the side of the aux tank and installed two L shaped fittings with a clear "sight" tube so I can visually see what the fuel level is.

I have a short box Ram 3500 and pull a 3950. The top of the toolbox is only about 4 inchs above the bed rail so clearance to the fifth wheel when cranked way around is not a problem unless you get into a real bending twist.

timbuktu

I have a 75 gal Transfer Flow Trac II system and love it. It's black diamond plate and the Trac II system comes with gauges and automatically fills the main tank. I had a 4wheel parts store do the install, and they said out of all the brands they've seen/installed, this one was one of the best designed and easiest to install. Take it for what's it worth.