Auxiliary Fuel Tank Installation questions.....

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I purchased an RDS 60gal Combo (tank/toolbox) with gravity feed kit and have 2 questions:

#1. How did you attach your tank to truck bed? Tank has 3 "non pre drilled" tabs.....I read somewhere to use "self tapping" screws.....not really comfortable with that.

#2. The gravity kit looks like a "simple" install....What did you use to cut the filler neck line? instructions are just a picture.....I am open to any suggestions or "mistakes" to avoid.

I will find out how "simple" the install is this weekend!! I just don't want what seems to be simple "do-it-youselfer" job to become a nightmare install. :D

jnbhobe

I have a 40 gal. tank and can tell you the self tapping screws don.t work. I have mine ratchet strapped in but I will thru bolt the new one I'm getting. I would pull out the fuel filler and cut it with a sawsall or hacksaw. I also used a solinoid valve as a shutoff so I can control it from the cab.

caokgafamily

I have the same tank in my 250. I drilled 3ea 5/16 holes, one per tab and used a 5'16 bolt with lock washers. I then drilled a 1" hole driverside in the bed for the drain tube. I used a sawssall to cut the neck closest to the tank and installed the "t" fitting. I also found some strips of rubber 3/8 thick to cushion/set the tank on. It took about 3hrs to install. I didn't worry about grounding because diesel has a high flash point.

Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am like Steve, I bolted the tank in and used a 1" hole saw for the fuel line. I used a rubber grommet in that hole to protect the rubber line.
I don't know what truck you have but on my GMC I just used a utility knife to cut out a chunk of fuel tank filler line out and installed the T using the provided hose clamps.

Peace
Dave

davebennington

I did very much the same as the rest of you, but with one additional step I went to the local metal shop and had them cut 3 pieces of metal 4 inches square. I drilled a hole in the middle and used them as a large washer on the underside of the pickup bed so if there ever was a major shift if would not pull the bolts through the bed of the truck.

So far everything with the RDS tank has worked well. I did replace the manual gauge with one that has electric sender so I could monitor from the cab.

Dave

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I am like Steve, I bolted the tank in and used a 1" hole saw for the fuel line. I used a rubber grommet in that hole to protect the rubber line.
I don't know what truck you have but on my GMC I just used a utility knife to cut out a chunk of fuel tank filler line out and installed the T using the provided hose clamps.

Peace
Dave

I did the same but used a long blade serrated knife to cut the rubber fuel filler hose. What ever you do don't tell the DW I used her good knife , I get into enough trouble as it is........Kenny

Rrloren

I set my 37 gal. tank on some 2x4's then bolted to the bed. On my truck there are holes in the front panel about 1x2" with a plastic cover on them , I drilled a hole thru the plastic and slipped the hose thru it.
I too used a sharp Utility knife to remove a piece of the oem hose.

caokgafamily

Cemill,

I have read some stuff regarding "gas" external tanks, the biggest thing I saw was to make sure the gas tank was properly grounded. I guess when fuel fills up a tank it creates static? gas fumes & static = big boom.

Steve

Rrloren

"Has anyone done this type of install with a gas tank?"

I believe gravity feed tanks are illegal for gas.

Splash

Bolted it to bed with 1/4" stainless bolts and fender washers and put strips of 1/2" foam weatherstripping across bottom of tank. I just used a hacksaw blade to cut the filler neck and the fuel line fit perfect through a drain hole already in the bed.

The only thing to watch out is to position the Tee so the check valve works properly, if not the check valve will never open and fuel will never transfer.

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Bolted it to bed with 1/4" stainless bolts and fender washers and put strips of 1/2" foam weatherstripping across bottom of tank. I just used a hacksaw blade to cut the filler neck and the fuel line fit perfect through a drain hole already in the bed.

The only thing to watch out is to position the Tee so the check valve works properly, if not the check valve will never open and fuel will never transfer.

Thanks for ALL the great replies....Splash, can you "splain" more about the Tee position? The pic looks like it needs to be on the "topside" of line....correct?

rustyshakelford

there is one thing to consider if yall have the lmm duramax and want use a gravity feed fill. If your tank is constantly full, the fuel gauge will go to empty and stay there until the level starts to move. I found this to be a pain so i have a small pump with a switch in the cab that i can flip and fill up the truck tank while driving down the road. also, i dont have to worry about something failing and dumping diesel everywhere when left unattended

brett