Problem connecting to HeartlandOwners.org for last 3 days

danemayer

I've been unable to connect to this website for the past 3 days. Was able to connect to every other website just fine. 2nd computer had the same problem. Internet Explorer and Firefox both failed. Ping to the website failed. Ping to the IP address of the website failed. I could however reach the website on my iPhone, using the AT&T 3GS network connection.

Last night I looked at a traceroute and found the timeout occurred at or after reaching internet routing at 38.111.246.42. I also found that by using an anonymous browsing proxy, I could reach the website.

My conclusion last night was that the internet routing information from here to there was somehow screwed up, probably cutting off a lot of visitors besides me. But other routing pathways were apparently still working, allowing an AT&T connection and the anonymous browsing connection.

Magically, this morning it's working again. The new traceroute continues 1 step past 38.111.246.42 and successfully reaches 207.32.235.164, which is the HeartlandOwners.org IP address. Since the failure occurred 1 step away from the destination, I suspect the Website Host Service Provider is involved in the failure.

I suppose the admin for the website should contact the Website Hosting Service to see if they were actually involved in the failure and the fix. Maybe there's something that needs to be avoided in the future.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Gosh Dan - sorry you had problems connecting to the HL forum website. Hopefully linxkidd will be checking this out before long. I haven't had any problems at all, getting on and off several time a day on several different computers. Good news is that you have made connection now.

linuxkidd

Hello danemayer:
Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention. It appears that the hop in question is owned by the larger ISP Cogentco. Per your observations, it appears they figured it out at this point and all is working normally again. Please let me know (via PM is best) if this issue happens again so we can get traction while the problem is on-going.

Thanks,
LK