Wood Floors/ Tile in a RV?

caokgafamily

We installed wood floors throught out our home last year and installed tile in all our baths. How come nobody can make this a option in a camper? Weight could be a issue. What about slides moving on wood,scratches etc. Sometimes slides leak and would get the wood wet? Carpet dries out.
What about a quality laminate? I guess my point is, we like the new flooring in our home and would really like it in the BH. Just a thought.

Steve

Moose

Maybe flexing of the floor would tend to seperate laminate flooring at the joints and lift tiles or break the grout?

Also as you mentioned weight could be a factor.

GOTTOYS

I installed laminate in my little 19 ft. travel trailer last Summer after the cheap linoleum cracked. It's pretty common for the linoleum to crack with our severe cold weather. Anyway the laminate held up great over approximately 4,000 miles. Only 36 cuts in the quarter round that I put around the edge..took forever to get it done but the look was spectacular..I don't know how it would work with slides cause it does stick up a little bit and you never want to get it wet because it will swell. But it would be easy to replace. Flexing is not a problem, neither are extreme hot or cold cycles because it has a little slack around the edge so it can move...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Several of us here on the forum have replaced the vinyl in the kitchen with laminate and at least one forum member has replaced the entire lower level carpet and vinyl with laminate. It's a fairly easy job with beautiful results. It also gives you the opportunity to better secure the sheathing to the joists in the older rigs.

Attachments

• Before..JPG
    Before..JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 111
  • After..JPG
    After..JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 99

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We used something called Tranquility resilient flooring, from Lumber Liquidators. It comes in "planks" like laminate, but is a poly vinyl, much thicker than regular sheet goods, and has a 25 year warranty. This stuff wears like you can't believe!!

Looks more like wood than any laminate I've ever seen, or felt...and goes down easy, basically just spread some mastic on the OSB sub-floor (since OSB is not completely smooth), peel, press and place...see how nice it came out below...

000_0028.jpg000_0027.jpg000_0029.jpg

We also used high-quality carpet and padding to replace the remaining original carpet. The whole job cost about $600 for materials, and took two days.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We had to replace the floor in our 3200ES because of rot in the sub floor from water entering somehow into it. We used a laminate on it and DW loves it. We had to look for sharp objects ( screws, staples sticking through the slide floors) to prevent scratching. the floors. I also had to put plywood down in place of the OSB board. It was a little thicker so we put pieces of carpet down to prevent scratches.