Tank Less Water Heater

jimizuno

I am looking to purchase the CY HD 3950 Toy. great unit.
I like all the options that are avaiable.
However there is one option that i would like to upgrade to, and that is a Tank less water heater.

Has anyone have this tank less water heater system in there coach?

Thanks,

jim

Cimriver

I don't have one, but a couple of things to think about.

With tankless hot water heater you always have to use propane. So if you have full hookups you are using propane and don't have the choice to use electric.

You will lose between 6-10 gallons of water storage. That can be important if you are dry camping.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We're about to install our first one at the shop in a week or so. The door covers are backordered from the factory. I believe from what we can tell, there will be a learning curve to operating it. The temperature is controlled by how much water passes thru, vs mixing with cold water. I'll report back after we get it installed. Propane should be a wash, as it only comes on when you're using hot water instead of keeping a tank at the proper temp.

Rickhansen

You will lose between 6-10 gallons of water storage. That can be important if you are dry camping.

No intent to highjack the original thread but, I have to ask - When you're dry camping and your freshwater tank runs dry, and your pump can no longer can pump water; do you really go outside, remove your hot water tank drain, and catch the water from the HW heater somehow?

Can't say I ever thought of that before...

2010augusta

Cimriver;161365; said:

When you're dry camping and your freshwater tank runs dry, and your pump can no longer can pump water; do you really go outside, remove your hot water tank drain, and catch the water from the HW heater somehow?

there would be no difference in water storage because it takes water to move water, so unless you did as Rick suggest and shut off the heater and bypass it, you would not be able to access any of the water in the heater tank.

the bigger issue would be with some tankless heaters it takes a bit of time for them to reach operating temps, (i.e. not instant hot water), so you'll waste a bit more water waiting for hot water to reach the faucet.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check the flow rate of a tankless water heater before you purchase. I have been told by others that some slow water flow over tank models.

hoefler

Couple of things to consider; Tank less water heaters require more room to install, have large diameter flues (4"-6"), actually use more gas when they are heating, require annual dis-Assembly and cleaning for proper function, use more water than a tank type, may have adverse affects when dry camping ( you may get cold spells when you shut the water off to lather, etc.), you may not be able to feed it enough propane to it to operate properly in colder climates if your furnace is running, etc.. Just what comes to mind when I think about it. I have installed and removed several of them around here. Personally, I wouldn't have one. In all actuality, if you shut your tank type off when you don,t need it, you will use less propane than the tank less.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
The new tankless units for RV's are a direct replacement for both Atwood and Suburban water heaters. No new holes, flues or modifications, you just order the proper door kit. As far as retrofitting one, it would be a piece of cake. As far as performance, not enough feedback out there yet to make me want to switch.

jbeletti

I had one in my last coach. I know Tab, here on the forum has one too.

Mine was not the Cadillac brand though. It was an up and comer and they are building the Ford model :)

They (the mfr) changed mine out twice as the product evolved. I gave them feedback and did temperature and flow testing for all 3 versions I had. I feel by the last one, they really had the product dialed in. The brand was Girard. Precision Temp is the one that's been out there a long time. I think that's the one Tab has.

Having hot water, "nearly now" was a nice benefit. And yes, you do need to push the water out of the line before the hot is delivered. A few seconds really.

And if you are on water at a CG and have your gray tank valve open, enjoy a long shower if that's what you like.

I can see this as a bit of a benefit to the boondocker as you are only using propane fur the duration you need hot water. Other than that, it sits there and consumes nothing.

They do fit in the same hole as a 6 gallon traditional water heater (Girard anyway) - so they are a direct replacement. If you have a water that is bigger, you may need a special installation kit or door for the retro-fit.

Jim