What we learned today

back2nature

One new thing to add to the "What Not To Do" list. Hadn't read about this on the forum. We were "breaking camp" this morning in Quartzite. As usual, I secure all the inside, while the hubby does all the exterior chores. My last task was to close the slides. I didn't realize that at the same time hubby was extending the hydraulic jacks in the front to align it with the fifth wheel hitch. It surprised him when it started retracting, causing the rv to come down quickly on the hitch. He thought he was in trouble. He immediately released the switch and then figured out it was because I was closing the sliders and it stole the hydraulics from the jacks. I will now check with him before closing the slides. By the way, no damage. Anyone else run into that problem? Or, you all already knew it.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I hadn't heard that, but it makes sense. Thanks for the info. I hate surprises. (like that one)
It's great there was no damage.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
One new thing to add to the "What Not To Do" list. Hadn't read about this on the forum. We were "breaking camp" this morning in Quartzite. As usual, I secure all the inside, while the hubby does all the exterior chores. My last task was to close the slides. I didn't realize that at the same time hubby was extending the hydraulic jacks in the front to align it with the fifth wheel hitch. It surprised him when it started retracting, causing the rv to come down quickly on the hitch. He thought he was in trouble. He immediately released the switch and then figured out it was because I was closing the sliders and it stole the hydraulics from the jacks. I will now check with him before closing the slides. By the way, no damage. Anyone else run into that problem? Or, you all already knew it.

We learned to let the one doing the outside close the slides. That way there are no surprises. When I am done with the outside preparations I go in and by that time the DW is finished with the inside. Then I close the slides while DW takes the dogs outside and watches the outside. Has worked for us so far. Also before closing the slides she does an outside walkaround checking what I did and I do an inside walkaround checking what she did. Just to be on the safe side.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just curious, has anyone done a checklist of all their "must do" before leaving? If so do you mind sharing. We have one for our TT but I'm sure with the new 5ver, there will be new stuff to add to it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I always make sure the slides are closed before hitching up.
And along with that, next to the slide switch I have a check list that I look over before closing the slides.
I have not had any "incidences" since doing it that way.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

We had a similar experience except it was me and not the truck that the slide almost got.

I was checking tire pressures before pulling out, and had to reach under the slide to get to a tire, at that time Sandy had finished with the inside stuff and closed the slide with me under the "J"-wrap. I ducked and covered and did not get pinched, but heart was racing a bit.

szewczyk_john

As stated before, thanks for the warning as it makes sense but I would not have thought about it until it happened to us. Since we a new to the 5th wheel style I will make a note of it on our "to do list." As far as my list goes, I found that no two couples can use the same list since we do things in different manors and have different set us with different people assigned different tasks. Just my 2 cents

6.7powerstroke

One of the coolest things on the new SuperDuty is it has a check list for both 5th wheels and travel trailers. Between the gauges on the LCD screen is a menu that you scroll through that takes you down a list of things to check when you hook up. It is really amazing how far ahead of all the other trucks the new Fords are these days.

2psnapod2

One of the coolest things on the new SuperDuty is it has a check list for both 5th wheels and travel trailers. Between the gauges on the LCD screen is a menu that you scroll through that takes you down a list of things to check when you hook up. It is really amazing how far ahead of all the other trucks the new Fords are these days.

Can you list the items on the new Checklist? I have a 2010 and I would think it would be pretty much the same.

6.7powerstroke

Can you list the items on the new Checklist? I have a 2010 and I would think it would be pretty much the same.

The 11 is totally different. Between the gauges on your truck you probably have a green lettered odometer and DTE, etc. On the 11s, that is replaced with a 4" color LCD screen, along with a menu of a zillion different things it does. I will have to go out to the truck and fun through, but it is pretty cool. Tells you to stow the landing gear and a little cartoon of a 5th wheel showing the landing gear pops up. Tells you to check the king pin latch with a picture of a hitch. You can also name up to 17 different trailers with different brake gain controls. The truck keeps track of the mileage on the trailers and other setting you might want to have specific to that trailer. It might take me a little bit, but I will write down the list of items.

back2nature

Cool! I think my husband was salivating when I read this to him.

caissiel

Just my opinion but this is realy surprise to me that it would be setup like that.
There should be isolation system, solenoid or swith that will not allow that the happen. How many truck boxes will be damanged before this problem will be addressed.
My electric landing gear can be operated at the same time and many times we operate them at the same time as the wife closes the trailer while I hook it up.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Just curious, has anyone done a checklist of all their "must do" before leaving? If so do you mind sharing. We have one for our TT but I'm sure with the new 5ver, there will be new stuff to add to it.

Michael, I have been working on one for Sam afor the just in case day. It is not complete yet but here it is

RV INSTRUCTIONS/CHECK LIST
<O:p</O:p
HOOKING UP
WITH HITCH INSTALLED AND PINS LOCKING THE HITCH TO THE BED RAILS
LOWER TAILGATE AND PULL HITCH HANDLE
RAISE TRAILER WITH DOLLY LEGS TO PROPER HIGHT AND SLOWLY BACK TRACK INDER KINGPIN.
LOCK JAWS IN PLACE AND LOCK HITCH HANDLE.
HOOK UP PIGTAIL AND BREAKAWAY CABLE.
VISUALLY CHECK JAWS ARE ACROSS KINGPIN.
RAISE DOLLY LEGS.
TURN ON PARKING LIGHTS AND 4 WAY FLASHERS AND CHECK TRAILER LIGHTS.
REMOVE CHOCKS, CHECK ALL STORAGE COMAPRTMENTS, STORE STEPS AND STEP HANDLE.
PUT TRUCK IN DRIVE WHILE SLIDING BRAKE CONTROL LEVER TO FULL BRAKES AND GENTLY TUG ON TRAILER TO CHECK BRAKES. Most times brake controller should be set at 4.0 04.5 for traffic. As brakes wear they may need to be set higher.
AFTER CHECK ING BRAKES, ROLL FORWARD AT 3 OR 4 MPH AND SLIDE BRAKE LEVER AGAIN MAKING SURE THAT BRAKES APPLY AND HOLD FAST.
UNHOOKING
ONCE IN THE SITE,AND ENOUGH ROOM TO OPEN ALL SLIDES
LOWER FRONT LEGS AFTER DROPPING INNER LEGS 4 HOLES
CHOCK WHEELS
RAISE FRONT OF TRAILER A LITTLE UNTIL HITCH HANDLE CAN BE PULLED RELEASING KING PIN JAWS.
LOWER TAILGATE, UNHOOK BREAKAWAY CABLE AND PIGTAIL.
WITH WEIGHT OFF OF THE 5<SUP>TH</SUP> WHEEL PLATE, SLOWLY PULL TRUCK FORWARD
LEVELTRAILER FRONT TO BACK THEN LEVEL SIDE TO SIDE. ALWAYS OPERATE 2 JACKS AT THE SAME TIME TO PREVENT FRAME TWIST
HOOKUP SURGE PROTECTOR. IT TAKES 2 MINUTES AND 16 SECONDS FOR IT TO COMPLETE IT’S CHECK. HOOK UP ELECTRICAL CORD TO SURGE PROTECTOR AND TRAILER.

CHECK TO MAKE SURE ALL CABINET DOORS AND DRAWERS ARE SHUT AND RUN SLIDES OUT
TURN ON REFRIDGERATOR.
HOOK UP WATER HOSE. MAKE SURE WATER PRESURE REGULATOR IS ON SPIGET END.
TURN ON WATER AND RUN WATER IN TRAILER TO REMOVE AIR.
WITH ALL AIR REMOVED, TURN ON WATER HEATER. Big red switch in electrical cabinet and small black switch behind water heater for 110volt operation.
TURN ON GAS AT TANKS.
GOT TO STOVE AND LIGHT ALL THREE BURNERS TO BLEED GAS LINES.
IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN WATER HEATER ON GAS, NOW IS THE TIME TO TURN IT ON WITH SMALL SWITCH ON TANK PANEL.
YOU ARE NOW SET UP.

2psnapod2

Thanks Larry, I was also going to PM you and ask for it. I remembered you had said you had been working on one, "Just in case". Thanks

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
This was written from the perspective of our trailer sitting here at the house. It needs a few things added but Sam can do it all. The list is just there incase she gets frustrated and forgets something-like I did one day with one of our rear cabinet doors.

2psnapod2

We have always used a checklist to break camp. Never wanted to have to replace a antenna. With the list that you gave me I will add all the stupid stuff that I always feel like I am going to forget. I never feel like I got everything done. And I always wonder if I forgot to ...... And using a checklist helps that. Also with not having a 5ver hitch before I was starting to worry some. But it looks like it is not too much different that what I needed to do with the Army hitches. Thanks for the checklist.

back2nature

We have a couple of lists I put together. One for DH to use outside and one for the wife (or significant other) to use inside. Unfortunately, I don't have the file with me here on the laptop, but I could re-create it from the printed copy. Works good. We arranged the tasks in the proper order of what we need to do. We have two clipboards with the lists in clear sleeves, and a dry erase markers to mark off he checkbox. Then wipe them clean for the next time we break camp. Let me know if you are interested in seeing them. They are Microsoft Word files, so you could edit them to your liking. Everyone needs to fine tune these lists to themselves.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
One good rule of thumb we have always used is; All stabilizers down (including rear), before ANY slides are opened and all slides in, before ANY stabilizers up.(After checking for open doors drawers inside etc). I did take out a drawer once, with a side in my old SOB. Now I check!

Wharton

My DW doesn't bring in the slides until I pound on the outside of the trailer twice. Then she knows all is clear. Simple and effective.

We always use checklists as a safety precaution. Even after 30 years of Rving we go through the lists line by line. We have an interior, exterior and truck list. Each list on each trailer we have had is slightly different.