Water heater bypass

I have a 2007 Bighorn 3670 model. I am using it for the first time on the West Coast. Everything is fine so far except for the water heater. I was able to start it but I do not have hot water coming out from the tap. I checked the pressure relief valve at the hot water tank and there was hot water coming out. I believe that the valves at the water heater bypass have been turned off. I have called the service department on three occasions asking for the location of the water heater bypass and the impression that I got from the individual is that he does not know what he is talking about. So, I am turning to you savvy owners, especially those who own a 3670. Do you know where is the water heater bypass so that I can turn on the valves to ensure that water goes to the tank. A hot shower would be just nice. Thanks in advance

jbeletti

El Santiago,

You should get a few quick replies on this but I'll tank a stab at it.

In your 3670, the water heater is on the off-door side. The bypass is likely right behind the water heater.

You need to remove a carpeted access panel from the bulkhead wall to see and reach the water heater area.

Remove the shorter panel that is on an angle, inside the storage area right behind the docking center. Should be 4 or so screws holding it on.

Some owners have hinged, Velcroed or otherwise made this area a bit easier to re-enter later. Consider that as you are in that area.

Good luck,

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

On my 3600RL the bypass is located as Jim B. stated. Look for the inlet and outlet on the back of the water heater. The bypass line with valves is close to the inlet and outlet. The valves to the water heater inlet should be open and the bypass valves closed.
When I opened my compartment, I identified all water lines with a marks-a-lot and direction of water flow. I found a couple of extra valves that made no sense and a coiled up water line with a valve that terminated into space.
Also, several owners were complaining about restricted heater air flow to the register next to the bed. Mine was installed with a 90 degree kink at the register box. I rerouted the duct and the air flow increased.

K

Ken Washington

El Santiago,
Not sure if your unit has outside shower or a place where you can get hot and cold water. Make sure that the hot and cold valves are off because it might be mixing the two in one of these areas. Mine has a hot and cold faucet in the storage area and this same thing happened to me.

Ken

Gentlemen Jim, Forrest and Ken:

Thank you very much for your input. You were right! The access door in in the basement behind the docking station. I referred to the owner's manual that came with the rig and found the illustration with the top, middle and bottom valves that needed to be turned on and off, depending on the valves. I now have hot water.

While I was there, I found small tubing still full of antifreeze. It dawned on me that this is the water feed to refrigerator ice maker. I turned the valve to on and found out that somewhere near the door to the black and grey tanks valves the tubing has some holes. Eventually, this will be repaired in time for the hot weather.

Again, thank you very much. You have no idea how much I like this website for all the useful information.

tomn2t

Thank you. I purchased a 2011 Bighorn and had the same hot water issue. I was waiting for my dealer to respond to my complaint of lukewarm water when I discovered this website. As I discovered, both the hot and cold water valves at the outside shower were in the open position. I had never used the outside shower so thought that they would have been off since there was no water flowing from shower head. Not being a plumber, I never would have thought that this would result in mixing the hot water with cold. My dilemma has been solved. Thank you again.

jimtoo

Hi tomn2t,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge and help if needed.

It's great to know that you found a solution to your problem.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M