Inverter/converter

mnelms

What brand/model inverter comes with the 3795? Is it the 3 stage charger/inverter that everyone says you need to safetly charge the batteries on Shore or Generator? If not, should I purchase the 3 stage charger? What brand is recommended? I just purchased a new 3795 and will be upgrading the batteries to 2 6 v rather than the 1 12v that came with it, and want the batteries to last as long as possible.
Thanks,
MIke

jbeletti

Hi Mike,

The factory should respond next week but until then, some of us around here can shed a little light.

From what I see on the factory website, Cyclone does not come with or offer an Inverter (inverts DC to AC) option. All Heartland products and most RVs come with a Converter (converts AC to DC).

While they may use different brands for different trailer lines, I've seen them use the Progressive Dynamics brand of converters (link). In my unit, I ordered the PD9180 - 80 amp model. Some Heartland trailers come with the 60 amp model.

As for charging, the converters do provide the charging circuit for your battery (or batteries). By adding the Charge Wizard option yourself, you can greatly inmprove the charging capability of the Converter (3 stage charging). I added it to my converter. Takes only minutes - plugs right in. The Charge Wizard is available at Camping World and other RV parts stores.

Nice choice on the two 6-volt batteries if they are the heavy-plate style (golf cart) batteries - such as the Trojan T-105. I use them as well. Consider ordering the battery watering kit. It will save you a lot of hassle keeping the batteries topped off a few times a year.

Jim

Loco

Charger for 3795

If you have a Cyclone with a genset the set itself will charge the batteries also. The owan genset charges starting battery. I added a extra Battery to my rig and I never have trouble with the battery charging when we run the genset for long hours.
So far we have had one big rally where it ran for 5 days 24 hrs a day. Having the genset is the only way to go.None

ChopperBill

Ours came with a PD9245 converter with a built in Charge Wizard. Probably one of the best out there. It has a 3 stage charger. I ordered the remote pendent so I could control the charging rate but it seems not to be necessary. Just let it do its own thing. Not sure if the toy haulers have as far as an inverter. Mine didn't come with one but had one installed.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Loco said:
If you have a Cyclone with a genset the set itself will charge the batteries also. The owan genset charges starting battery. I added a extra Battery to my rig and I never have trouble with the battery charging when we run the genset for long hours.
So far we have had one big rally where it ran for 5 days 24 hrs a day. Having the genset is the only way to go.None

Just curious, is yours a propane set and if so, how much propane did you go theough thos five days?

Uncle Rog

Howdy, I am using 4 T-105's with a Xantrex 2000 inverter / charger, in concert with a Yamaha ESB 3000 ? portable generator. Last week we were able to dry camp for 5 days never even thought of firing up the Yamaha. We watched a little news every night used the lights a little bit more than we should have and still had 70% power when we rolled out.....I usually equalize the batteries before we go out, it seems to make a difference in performance in the field, the Yamaha is great if we need to use the AC....

Loco

Jasson
We have a gas unit 5.5 kw Owan, you can hardly hear it run and we burnt around 38 gals that week with the Ac running most of the day because it was in Aug in GA highs in the 80's all day each day. The unit gets really good gas usage. We went out one weekend 9:00 am Thursday thru 6:00 PM Sunday and it ran 24 hrs a day with the AC running the same day and night. We also had all our out side camping lights on all night every night,using electric side of the water heater.we never ran out of gas. The tank holds 28 gals. I am really happy with the Genset. We run it on every trip in the summer when we are out on the road because we run the AC and frig while we are going down the road.The trailer is nice and cool when we get to were we are going. Plus we let the dog and cat ride in the trailer so they stay cool.

Last edited:

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Loco said:
Jasson
We have a gas unit 5.0 kw Owan, you can hardly hear it run and we burnt around 38 gals that week with the Ac running most of the day because it was in Aug in GA highs in the 80's all day each day. The unit gets really good gas usage. We went out one weekend 9:00 am Thursday thru 6:00 PM Sunday and it ran 24 hrs a day with the AC running the same day and night. We also had all our out side camping lights on all night every night,using electric side of the water heater.we never ran out of gas. The tank holds 28 gals. I am really happy with the Genset. We run it on every trip in the summer when we are out on the road because we run the AC and frig while we are going down the road.The trailer is nice and cool when we get to were we are going. Plus we let the dog and cat ride in the trailer so they stay cool.

Thanks for the info. I was originally not considering a on board gen set as I have a honda 3500 now that I use but was going to buy 2 of the 2000iU's and hook em up but then got to thinking it would be easier to just go ahead and get on board as we travel with our mini doxie and the group we travel with likes to stop at sit down restraunts and we will not be able to unless we get an on board that we can run and cool trailer down for him. I then thought gas would be easier and cheaper until I talked to several manufacturing reps and they said they would not do a gas instal and we discussed the propane sets. Only thing is they could not give me real world figures for run time on twin 40 # bottles. In other words, could I possibly run from friday afternoon to sunday mid day at full load for multiple weekends on the 2 tanks or would I have to refill every weekend which would get expensive.

mnelms

Thanks for the reply.
Along the same lines, those of you that are using 2 6 v batteries, what are you using for a vented battery box?

Also waiting for a factory rep to answer the original question.

Thanks again

ChopperBill

My second box is also vented. There is just a hose running from it to the other. Not sure it is best vent set up. If I had it to do over again I would get one of those boxes that hold two batteries.

Uncle Rog

I made my own boxes (see other posts for pictures) from a factory non vented type by using pvc fittings , plastic hose, duct tape and 1-1/2" weatherstripping. I then slaved them to the stk battery vent and installed a disconnect / selector switch so in case I used up all 450AH on the T-105's I could switch over to the 160AH reserve.....ah heck here is an old picture not showing tne inverter or new switch....

Attachments

• 0917061123.jpg
    0917061123.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 30

jpmorgan37

Hi Mike;

I ran two T-105's for seven years before I replaced them. I used them with a 2kw inverter and probably abused them sometimes. That's about the maximum battery life that I would expect. Here is what Uncle Rog did with his batteries. //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=935&d=1168874870 If you do a search for "vented battery box" it will lead you to this thread. Check the #14 post and you will get the picture I referred to above, if that link doesn't open it. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1998&page=2. It seems like I've seen more on here but don't remember where.
As Jim said three day's ago, you should get an answer from the factory sometime next week. Maybe even this week.

John

2 Cats

Jassson007,
We had a propane gennie. in our last toyhauler. We go deerhunting the last two weeks of November in Michigan. The first trip is 5-7 days at 30 degress or less.With propane we were filling 30# tanks every other day.With the gas gennie in our Cyclone it was around 26 degress the 7 days were there. We ran about 15 gals of gas, we left the gennie running about 10 Hrs a day. During the 7 days we fill 1-30# propane tank. Remember your propane also runs your Furnace,stove & fridge. IMO Gas Genrator is the only way to go. Hope this helps. What ever ya do get out there & ENJOY