Question on Sundance Tow Vehicle

Smurf764

Hi!

I came over here from rv.net; hoping to get some answers from Sandance 5er owners.

The Milwaukee RV show was last weekend; I fell in love with the Sundance 3300SK and can see one in my drive; however,

My tow vehicle is an 03 F230 FX4 short bed crewcab with the 6L PSD/auto. I know that Heartland says its for a 1/2 ton truck, but I'm concerned, too.

I'd be interested in hearing from Sundance owner's comments with my style tow vehicle on how their T.V. handles the Sundance

RugRat

I am assuming you meant a F250 with 6L, if so I have pulling mine with a '04 F250 6L FX4 4x4 Auto with no problems. I also have the shot bed, but still opted for a slider just to be safe. No problems yet with handling the camper.

Smurf764

Yes, it's a 6.0L Diesel; short box crew cab.

I'm afraid of maxing the trucks capacities; but noticed the Sundance's ad saying it was perfect for the 1/2 ton. I've heard of those with the crew cab saying that there was only about 800 lbs left on the vehicles capacity.

I'm really interested in hearing from those who tow with the F250 and how their truck does. :cool:

RugRat

I have towed mine about 10 times now and the F250 handles it well. I have towed in hilly conditions and flat highways. I have never felt I had too much camper behind me and ours is right at 34'. I don't think I would try to tow it with a 1/2 ton truck as my truck definitely squats some when hitched up.

Redcoat1

Tow my sundance 3200ES with 2003 F250 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6 litre diesel, it does fine but can't see a 1/2 tone ever towing this trailer.

JJAK17

I will be towing mine with a GMC 2500HD diesel. I just bought the trailer and will let you know how it tows after I get it out for the first big trip.

Last edited:

Smurf764

Thanks for all your responses; I don't think I'd be able to make the leap if I had to buy a new TV, too.

JJAK17, please let me know how your truck handles it; what year GMC do you have.

roazo

Sundance Owner
I pull our 07 3300SK with a 96 2500HD. We have no problem pulling it. It pulls easyer than our old 98 Terry 25.5. We have had ours since November, hope you like yours as much as we do ours.

JJAK17

Smurf764 said:
Thanks for all your responses; I don't think I'd be able to make the leap if I had to buy a new TV, too.

JJAK17, please let me know how your truck handles it; what year GMC do you have.

We bought our TV to be ready for a bigger camper. We have a 2004 GMC It has the d-max 6.6L.

I see that Heartland Sundance is for 1/2 ton trucks. I think that is a little misleading. Maybe the smaller ones you could tow with a 1/2 ton. I have the 3200RBH I really dont think a 1/2 ton would tow that size of a 5th wheel safely.

I think you should be fine with your TV. I dont know your towing capacity but it should be well with in range. JUst my 2 cents.

I am looking also at the Sundance trailers and yes that truck will do it but you might be at or close to the legal limits of the F250

Max 5ver wieght is 10600 LBS go figure. will it tow, no problem without a doubt. Just the weight rating on the Ford seems a little low for diesels

Sundance_kid

I tow with a F250 7.3 PSD SWB W/O A SLIDDER HITCH. I turn around in the culdsac on our street with no problems at all. As far as the weight goes our last trailer was a 29RKP Challenger with a pin weight of 2450 dry. We put over 25,000 miles towing no problems, but the pin weight always was on my mind. Hence the move to the 3300SK.

charliehorse

I am pulling my 2009 2900RK with a 2004 F250 short bed 6.0 diesel -no slider & works just fine. running 60-65 mph over 3000 - i averaged 11.4 m.p.g.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I'm using a 07.5 GMC 2500 Duramax getting 14.5 mpg towing a 3300BHS. No problems with it. Way too much for a Ford :p.

I'm surprised you can even move a Sundance out of the driveway with an IsuzuNone

But then again, my little 6 banger can drag around 18k grossing 27460:eek: I got 12.5 pulling this one. Sundance 5vrs I get 14 - 15 mpg.
IMG00191.jpg IMG00198.jpg

and this isn't the heaviest I've pulled with it either.

I have a 2004 Ford F250 EC FX4 short box 6.0L. I pull a 2009 Sundance 2998RB. I installed some Ride Rite air bags to help keep me level. Sometimes I have felt the coach was pushing me right when going left around a bend. Also, I get a little bounceing side to side after going over highway bumps or other road irregularities. Other than those things everything else is fine. I hope this helps.