Anyone have trouble with 08 Dodge steering box?

beardedone

Beardedone
The steering box on my 08 Dodge 3500 is now leaking after 80,000 kms. Replacements are about $500 plus labour so my question is does anyone have trouble with theirs and if so how long were you able to drive with it leaking before being replaced. The parts are on back order until April and after market boxes are about $800.00. I have learned that Dodge is having trouble with the steering boxes which makes me a little nervous so any info will be greatly appreciated.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Be sure the box is bad before replacing it. Check the pressure and suction hoses that are tied in to the top of the box as they often leak.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I have an 03 that will leak when I have the front end sloped down the driveway on very very cold days.
All it needs is a new O ring where the line connects to the box. A spring project / $5 for o rings, 2 wrenches and 30 minutes tops.
Good Luck.

hoefler

Try changing the fluid and flushing it. The fluid has a service life like any other lubricating fluid.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Gerry, get 2 cans of carb-choke cleaner and clean the lines at the gear and the gear box. Let it run and see where the leak is. Who makes the gear box?? Is it a Delco or Bendix or who?? Not so long ago Dodge used all GM steering parts. Unless the gear box casting is cracked ...it's an "O" ring, pitman shaft seal or a line leaking. Just might need to tighten the return line clamp (low pressure).