how do you keep baked goods from burning on the bottom?

cashb

It seems that whatever I bake in the oven gets too brown on the bottom and not brown enough on the top. Obviously this comes from the heat coming from the bottom of the oven. I tried extra foil, using two small roasters nested so there is an air space and flipping what I can. Any other ideas? I heard about using a pizza stone which sounds good, but where to find one that small to fit? I want to use the oven more, but it is discouraging when the results are not what I want to see...

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I use an unglazed ceramic tile in mine, set on the metal part above the burner. It works well, however, I find I do have to increase the baking time or temp.

cashb

Thanks slmayor! Maybe that's where the pizza stone is supposed to go? Have you had no problem with the tile breaking or cracking?

cashb

Kakampers, maybe with the Bighorn the ovens are a bigger size? I don't see how one will fit in my oven. Do you know what size your stone is and where you purchased it? Thanks.

Rickhansen

We bought a double-wall aluminum baking sheet and laid it across the bottom plate of the oven. Allow a couple extra minutes to preheat.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I'm sorry...I've had it so long I don't remember where I got it. Have you tried Bed, Bath and Beyond?? That's where I find most of the kitchen stuff I use.

I really can't imagine my oven being bigger than in a Sundance, I would be surprised if it was....

2010augusta

How low is your rack?

The only time we have burned anything, we had forgot to put the rack back in the middle of the oven after roasting a turkey, so the rack was still on its lowest setting.

slmayor

Unglazed quarry tile, and it's been in there a couple years. no breaking, but that's why I used an unglazed tile. less shapr edges to clean up if it does break. Just about right to cover the hottest spots and still allow the heat to rise around the edges. I think it was under $1?

cashb

Thanks all, Alan my rack is in the middle but stuff is still too brown on bottom. I am not familiar with unglazed quarry tile, but I can ask at HD, they will probably know? I did look for a pizza stone at BBandB, but it was too large to fit. Looks like a trip to HD!

cashb

Someone on another forum posted this

Economical Baking or Pizza Stone Alternative
Even though I previously bought a pizza stone for $25 or thereabouts (15 inches round), since I am really into baking pizzas from dough, I thought some of you would be interested in a really cheap and great alternative.

UNGLAZED QUARRY TILES (6x6x 1/2 inch thick) are available from Home Depot for $ 0.30 a piece - thats right 30 cents, and $8.40 for a 41 lb. box of 28 of them. Makes a great gift for xmas for any relative that is into baking bread or pizza.

They are Red Mayflower (color of rust) and are stain resistent and have a very low water absorbtion. The key thing is NEVER to use any glazed tiles as they contain LEAD. Unglazed quarry tiles = No Lead = No health problem.

For a gas oven, place them on the floor of the oven and for an electric oven place them on the lowest rack setting in the oven. Preheat to 500 degrees for an hour before baking the pizza or bread. I usually get up to 500 degrees in about 25 min.

If you need to cut the tiles to fit, Home Depot sells a 14 inch manual tile cutter for just less than $18. You score the tile an then press down to snap the tile along the score. Home Depot no longer cuts tile, and Lowe's doesn't carry unglazed quarry tile, but only cuts what they sell.

Since my gas oven is 16x18 inches the best solution is (3) - 8x12 tiles, and cut one of them into 2- 8x6 tiles to fit the 16x18 space on the floor of the oven.

Dal-Tile has a factory in Kentucky that produces the 8x12 tiles but I haven't yet contacted them with regard to minimum order, cost, etc. Will followup when I get the information.

cashb

well I got all excited, went to home depot, but alas when I asked for the unglazed quarry tile, they looked at me like I had two heads! I scoured the whole tile section but could not find it. Maybe it was that particular home depot? The search continues.

slmayor

I put them on the metal separator that is below the racks, not on the floor of the oven. It diffuses the hot spot over the burner assembly.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders
pampered chef makes stonware that will fit in our bighorn oven which is the standard size oven for most rv's

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Go to home depot and buy one of the unglazed terra cote plant trays (the thingy you put the pot in to keep water from getting on your floor). They come in all sizes and shapes. Turn it upside down and use the bottom...total costs about 4 bucks. It's great for pizza and bread..