HELP!!! Installed the RDS tank....went OK.....cut the filler line.....not so good!!

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
OK, I have posted a couple threads about the purchase and installation of an RDS auxiliary tank.......installed the tank....when I cut the filler line there was ANOTHER plastic tube inside??....of course I cut that to!!.......NOW WHAT?? :eek: What is the purpose of the plastic tube in the line?.....seems like it feeds down into the tank.

Looks like the "easy" install took a turn for the worst :(......I look forward to your sage wisdom.

The truck is a 2003 Silverado CC 2500HD 4x4 6.6 D/A

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not totally sure, but it might be an air vent so that the tank doesn't burp and bubble while you're adding fuel. If it ends near the filler neck opening under the cap, that would be my guess.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
On 2003's GM put the filler vent on the inside of the fuel filler. If you follow the filler vent from right behind PU bed sheet metal towards the OE tank, you will see where it Y,s into the Filler Tube.

jimtoo

Not totally sure, but it might be an air vent so that the tank doesn't burp and bubble while you're adding fuel. If it ends near the filler neck opening under the cap, that would be my guess.

Yep,,, that's what it is...I cut mine also... the only thing that happens now is when the tank gets right to full, it might burp a little... not bad... but it will burp now. Or you could remove tank filler neck and try to fish the longer piece out and reconnect to neck... but I don't think it's worth the trouble, just don't stand next to the tank when filling... you might get your shoes wet. :)

Jim M

lduguay

It looks like the "inside tube" is connected at the nozzel input......I can pull the other half of the inside tube, that goes to OE tank, out of the filler line. Should I just pull it out and discard, leave it in line or use something to reconnect the 2 pieces? If I "reconnect" what can be used?.....something that diesel would not dissolve. Hmmmm, maybe a garden hose connector???

Thanks for the quick answers........looks like I will be gettin the "ox out of the ditch" after church tomorrow! ;)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess I have to ask the dreaded question. Was there anything in the installation instructions noting this? Or a note about "specific years" saying what to do with that hose?

lduguay

Nope, nuthin but basic.....attach....splice......positioning, no specific instructions as to "brands" except the kit was for particular model years of GMC/Chevy.

Anyhow, it is now installed and the inner filler hose is now much shorter......Like Jimtoo says, I just gotta let the baby burp!! :rolleyes:

Headed out to put some fuel in the tank to check for the dreaded drip! Wish me luck!!

lduguay

Heres the "wrap up". Put about 25 gal into aux tank......OE tank was 3/4 full......opened valve on aux.......drove home......parked......waited an hour.......NO LEAKS and TV tank was FULL........All is well!! Thanks again for the "moral support". :D

jimtoo

You will love the extra fuel.. till time to fill up...but it is still a good thing to have. It might burp a little, but not bad at all. One other thing is if you travel with the aux tank valve open and it keeps your factory tank full, after a while your check engine light will probably come on....your fuel gage needs to move off of full every once in a while... computer does not understand how you can put miles on truck without using fuel. So I turn my aux tank off and run factory tank down to about 1/2 then turn aux back on till it fills factory tank back up.

Jim M