mpg road clearance

mag955i

Hi,

we are looking to purchase the MPG 183. I was wondering if Heartland offers a 1-2" lift or "riser" kit for added clearance? Is anyone having clearance issues to begin with? Also, any input from current 183 owners about the trailer in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance--rich

brains77396

We have a 186/183 which we pull with a Nissan Frontier. Went from Houston TX to Pigeon Forge TN and back last year and no problems with clearance. I haven't seen a need for a riser kit, that is unless you plan to run a bunch of pig trails. It has more clearance than the R-Pod. Just make sure that the hitch is set up so the trailer sits level. The biggest thing we have against our T/T is having to convert the table to a bed and back every day. But, that is the nature of the beast when you have kids. About 5 more years and we plan to trade it in on one with a full time bed. We don't need a WDH but did have a anti-sway bar installed for piece of mind. Happy Camping.

kb0zke

We've had our 181 for about two months now, and made our first trip with it this past weekend. I don't see any need for more clearance underneath, especially since that would have to come at the expense of increased height. We did go with a WDH with sway bar, and when all is set up car and trailer are perfectly level. This is the largest trailer I've ever towed, and there were no problems. The trailer follows the car perfectly.

The biggest thing we have against our T/T is having to convert the table to a bed and back every day. But, that is the nature of the beast when you have kids.

I thought about the dinette/bed issue before we ordered our 185 but I just figured that when it is just the hubby and I, we will just leave the bed made up and use a small table (like the one in the R-Pod 175) at the sofa slideout to sit and eat our meals. When we camp with friends, (they have their own TT of course) we like to have sitting room to play cards or eat together especially in rainy weather, so we decided to buy a queen size 3-4" memory foam pad that we can just roll up and push it to the back of the dinette and out of the way during the day. Our kids are now college age and they are not interested in camping with us anymore but if they did want to go, we would just throw a pad and sleeping bag on the floor or out in the dome tent and they can sleep there. We had sold our 34' 5er and 2500 HD GMC truck last October so we could go smaller, lighter and more economical since pretty much it is now just the two of us.

NMMPG

Hi,

we are looking to purchase the MPG 183. I was wondering if Heartland offers a 1-2" lift or "riser" kit for added clearance? Is anyone having clearance issues to begin with? Also, any input from current 183 owners about the trailer in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance--rich

Mag, did you purchase the 183? I am in the same boat right now. NM has a lot of good forest roads to explore and am wondering if the MPG can handle some bumps.