Larger fridge

Barry & Alana

Just curious if anyone has upgraded to the 10 cubic fridge, rather than the standard 8 cubic. Which model of Bighorn do you have if you have upgraded. I really wish in our 3500 we had the larger fridge, but I don't see how it would fit. I believe it says option in most models, but how do you know which one is classified by "most".

gawelsh

We upgraded to the 10 cf refrig in our Landmark- it really adds a lot of
food space. Sorry I can't address the BigHorns, but someone out there will answer you soon, I'm sure ! Happy Travels :)

happyrover

10 cu ft refrig

Barry,

My understanding is that the outside dimensions of the 8 and 10 cu ft refrig is the same, but the inner walls for the 10 cu ft are thinner, thereby giving you more room on the inside. No technician on this subject but that is what I have been told. The problem comes when you jump up to the 12 cu ft, because then you lose cabinet space or you can:t accommadate one at all. Hope this has been a help.

Mel (Happyrover)

jbeletti

Not sure of the model number of the 8 cu ft unit so I can't find the dimensions but at this link, you'll find all of Dometic's current refer models and specs and sizes are listed.

Jim

lbuchan

Barry,
I've got a '06 Bighorn 2925RK with the 10 cu ft refrigerator with ice maker. Don't notice that I've lost any cabinet space from the 8 cu ft model I saw last year at the Tampa RV show prior to my purchase. Have lost some freezer space with the ice maker but it's an option I've enjoyed.

ChopperBill

Renee thought the $1299 option for the 10 foot was ridiculous. I had to agree. We have a 6 foot in our truck camper and have always got alone fine with it. Heres the problem. The truck camper fridge is a Norcold and at 6 feet it seems to hold as much as the 8 foot Dometic. The Dometic wont let you put the ice trays in the normal way, you have to put them in sideways. The Norcold will, so it has to be deeper. We ordered another door storage tray and with some shelf adjustments we seem to get along OK now.
Just one question. If the 10 foot has thinner walls, wouldn't it be less efficient? We always shut ours off when traveling as long as 8 hours at a time and never have a problem.

Uncle Rog

Howdy, we weighed our rig on our last weeks trip to Furnace Creek and I need to figure out how to get rid of 820#'s, so a larger reefer would only hinder my project. I think our problem is ice, we need to ice down the Pacifico's on arrival, of course keeping a small supply for emergency's.

madigand

I am getting the 10 cu ft w/icemaker in my 3670 I will pick up in April from RVs for Less. Have heard that they fit in the smae hole (8 and 10cu ft). I was debating whether to get a 12cu ft side by side, (lose the sliding pantry). Decided to go with small chest freezer for more frozen stuff as this seems to be the things we have to be careful of when shopping. I have the portable icemaker and absolutely love it. I was told could pull out the icemaker and disconnect the water if needed additional space. Will proabally get a small refrig for outside for the adult beverages instead of the ice chest I use now. Now just waiting for my work assignment to end here the 31st of March and to Knoxville I go. Yea Haa :p

jbeletti

madigand,

What brand of portable icemaker do you have? Nancy and I debated today about refer sizes if we end up ordering an '08 unit. We have the 10 cu ft model now and I was thinking about going to the 12 but ouch - a lot more $$.

We're thinking we can continue to fit in the 10 and maybe not get the icemaker this time. Icemaker is a pain to winterize too (for me at least).

Thanks,

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

I can tell you we that the 12 cubic foot and love it but still too small. Guess I could cut down on my food consumption but that is no fun. Winterizing the ice maker is a pain but this will be our last year winterizing.

Barry & Alana

Thx for the good info. I wasn't aware that the 8 & 10 would fit in the same size hole. I agree with the idea of the the 12. We looked at Class A
this fall and thats one of the things I really liked. The large fridges. Lots of good ideas from all your responses.

Alana

madigand

Jim, I have a Greenway similar to Camping World http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=27399&src=SRQB . I am amazed at how much Ice it makes. The first one broke 2 times and they sent me a new one. This one has a feature if the tray hits some ice it will stop and lights flash, unlike the 1st one I had. It would try to bust thru the ice and strip out or break the plastic shaft/gears on the water tray. We really like ours and have not bought ice in over 18 months.

Dan
08 3670 in April

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
that looks like the one we got from camping world last fall it works great no more worries about ice:)