Heater

Bob Vaughn

I turned on the heater in the 3250 ts that we took delivery of yesterday and the heater and the A/C fan came on is this normal? :confused:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Nope, not normal. It sounds like the factory has hooked up the yellow or blue wire behind the thermostat to the wrong position.

Not to worry, you dont want that cheap mercury bubble thermostat any way. Best cheap mod you can make to your trailer-go to Lowes or HD and pick up a $20. Hunter 4299B thermostat.

Of course you having a brand new trailer, you might not want to mess with anything until it is out of warranty.

If you buy one, here is the correct wiring for behind the thermostat.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I turned on the heater in the 3250 ts that we took delivery of yesterday and the heater and the A/C fan came on is this normal? :confused:

Just in case...make sure the little "Fan" switch is set to Auto and not Run.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Look at your T-stat. Use the mode button, fan and then scroll to Auto. If it is set to high or low the fan will always come on when running heat.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Our new Big Country has the old Dometic thermostat but then I see they have made a lot of changes (windows, drawers, slam doors etc) in the 2011 production run since ours was delivered!

archbarb

Nope, not normal. It sounds like the factory has hooked up the yellow or blue wire behind the thermostat to the wrong position.

Not to worry, you dont want that cheap mercury bubble thermostat any way. Best cheap mod you can make to your trailer-go to Lowes or HD and pick up a $20. Hunter 4299B thermostat.

Of course you having a brand new trailer, you might not want to mess with anything until it is out of warranty.

Our local Lowes or HD didn't carry them, but Wally World did for for the same $$$$$. Very easy install. Fan won't operate on low, but you can do so with adding a toggle switch. Its nice being able to see the temp inside the unit with the digital readout vs. guessing with the standard Dometic thermostat which came with the unit.

Archie

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

I really hope they're not putting mercury switch thermostats in these rigs. Those are becoming a HazMat incident waiting to happen. If you have mercury devices in your homes (thermostats, thermometers, whatever), you'd be well advised to get rid of them, especially if you have small children or pets around. Most state health department websites have ample information on the hazards and how to dispose of them.

ElkStalker

I really hope they're not putting mercury switch thermostats in these rigs. Those are becoming a HazMat incident waiting to happen. If you have mercury devices in your homes (thermostats, thermometers, whatever), you'd be well advised to get rid of them, especially if you have small children or pets around. Most state health department websites have ample information on the hazards and how to dispose of them.

That can not be true! Our big brother government is forcing us to use mercury light bulbs? Mercury must be safe?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The amount of mercury in the bulbs is considered to be less than an immediate hazard. Cleaning up a broken bulb and putting the pieces into a double plastic baggie and tossing it in the trash is about it. On the other hand, the amount in the old mercury switches and thermometers IS considered a hazard. Worse yet is the blood pressure devices in some doctor's clinics. That is a reportable quantity and a bonafide HazMat incident, should one break.