Light Switch

Smokeater

We were tried of opening the doors to turn on the lights. I followed the panel next to the stairs and mounted a new switch. It now is very easy to turn on inside and entry lights. Be careful, under the panel with the thermostat, is a vent pipe and wiring. Do not drill, cut deep or quickly. BEWARE! Photo attached. Good Luck! This was done in a 2010 Bighorn 3580RL. Dave

Attachments

• P1090001.jpg
    P1090001.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 720

DougS

Doug S
I did a similar light switch move on my Landmark 2011. I had a step night light switch located outside the closet which I moved to inside the closet. I then moved the living room and kitchen light switches to outside the closet. We found we only used the night light switch once a night where the other switches we use all the time. Like you said, it was a easy move, just had to add length to the wires.
I did have a time finding the double face plate for the switch, until I got home where our local parts place had all I wanted.
While I was at it, I separated the outside spot lights (scare lights) to independent switches left and right. My lights both came on together. All the wires are there, just had to add another switch. I left these switches in the closet.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
I agree. Opening and closing doors just to turn lights on and off is a pain. That was one of the first mods I made three years ago when we bought our Bighorn. I added light switches for the kitchen and den area on the hallway wall on the kitchen side of the sliding pocket door. They are in line with the T-stat and bathroom light switches so look like they have always been there. Looks great and so much easier than opening those doors.

Smokeater

Hello Chris, No, top control is for the Fantastic fan and the middle one if for the furnace! Thanks for the questions. Good luck if you are trying to move yours. Found the triple switch on eBay. It has a 1/2 inch extension, out from the wall for extra room, needed for the switch wiring. I left the old one in the cupboard until we get home from AZ. Dave

jpajax

I have put a wireless remote switch on the receptacle in the kitchen to operate a florescent light under the cabinet. Mounted one remote on wall got a extra remote carry it truck so when you get to camper you can turn light on before you get out.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I like your modification and would like to do it to our 2012 BH 3185. Did you take and wood panels apart to access wiring or did you just make new opening and the fish wires from original location in closet to new location? If yo use another route could you describe how you achieve this relocation.

Jim

Louba

We were tried of opening the doors to turn on the lights. I followed the panel next to the stairs and mounted a new switch. It now is very easy to turn on inside and entry lights. Be careful, under the panel with the thermostat, is a vent pipe and wiring. Do not drill, cut deep or quickly. BEWARE! Photo attached. Good Luck! This was done in a 2010 Bighorn 3580RL. Dave

I plan to do the same this year. It always baffled me why whoever designed this thought it was a good idea to put light switches that are often used inside the cabinet.

sengli

FYI, the new 2013 big horns have a ceiling light just inside the door now that automatically turns on for 30 seconds or so, everytime the door is opened. So no more fumbling for a light switch!

StevieWonder

How do I turn off the "welcome home" light on a 2013 3570RS ??? I know it's motion sensor activated and with the wall switch below the main thermostat I can turn it on full time, but how do I turn it off full time?

A decent (cheap is okay) model specific owner's manual addendum would really be nice.

Westwind

Mine has a switch on the door frame if my memory serves me correctly, but why would you want to shut it off?

Smokeater

Hi Steve, If you were still looking for answer to your question. I believe the new switch needs to be toggled on and off twice. One flip of the switch turns the light on. This leaves the light on full time. If you toggle the switch twice, once to turn the light, then immediately switch it off and on again it will be in the motion sensor mode. To see if it is in the motion sensor mode, it will flash with a green light all the time. Hope this helps more than just you! Dave

danemayer

How do I turn off the "welcome home" light on a 2013 3570RS ??? I know it's motion sensor activated and with the wall switch below the main thermostat I can turn it on full time, but how do I turn it off full time?

A decent (cheap is okay) model specific owner's manual addendum would really be nice.
Does the light fixture have a switch on the fixture itself?

JanAndBill

The inside light comes on automatically when you open the door and shuts off after about 30 seconds. There is a light switch on the wall on ours close to the Themostat that will turn it on, then it will stay on till you turn the switch off, but you can't disable the automatic feature to my knowledge. The "outside" light or "welcome home light" is activated by a toggle switch on the main control panel. It's a multifunction type switch. Turn it off and the light will be off. Turn it on and the light will stay on. Turn the light on-off-on-off-on quickly and it will activate the auto feature. Then the light will only come on "after dark", and when the motion sensor detects movement, and go off after a few mins. unless it detects movement.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I think some of you are confusing the interior welcome home light (mine is just inside the door), with the exterior motion sensor " porch" light. The "welcome home " light comes on autistic ally when you open the door. The porch motion detector light comes on as you approach the RV. The interior "welcome home" light has a switch on the light fixture that can be used to turn it off all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I hate the iPhone "auto misspell" function. Autistically should have been "automatically".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free