dining table comfort

Louba

We gave been shopping for many months for just the right fifth wheel and are starting to lean very much toward the Bighorn. The only problem I have with them is that there doesn't seem to be enough room around the free standing dining table to get the chairs in and out comfortably. If I manage to get myself contorted enough to get into a chair the bottom of the table is scraping the top of my legs. I've searched the forum to see if anyone else have this problem and maybe came up with a modification but did not see anything. Is it just me? I'm not that big a person. Big Country's don't seem to have the same problem as the Bighorn. Why is so little room allotted for the dining table in a good size unit? At this point this might be a deal breaker for me.

boatdoc

I've thought this for years. Our '09 is so congested under the table with the legs of the table and chairs we don't use it. I put a peice of 3/4" plywood between the table and base to raise the table top and it helped for top of leg clearance and that helped that problem. We're to the point of getting rid of the table and going to a smaller two chair one. We like the way the Landmarks are with the small table for two.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Remove the plugs on the base of the table, remove the screws and move the table out. Many of us leave the table loose from the floor. We don't use the table so we removed it to our cargo trailer for future use.

If you want to secure the table to the floor, move it to where you would like it, but make sure it does not strike anything on the inside when you close the slide. Our table was about 6-8 inchs apart allowing us to walk to the back of the trailer.

BC

supernan1414

We ordered a dinette because the table and chairs were not comfortable. We have folding stools that store nicely under seat of dinette for when we have extra people. We have the center island, stools work great there also.

Louba

I had thought about raising the table up some to give more legroom. ...and I saw a comment about unscrewing and moving the table sideways with only two chairs to resolve the problem with pulling the chairs out. So, I guess it's something I can live with...DW has never liked booth dinettes. Is the booth option roomy enough?

K

karykatz

Louba,

How important are 4 chairs? If 4 chairs are not a necisity, you could special order your unit with 2 chairs and 2 matching folding chairs like we do in our Landmark. I hope this helps.

TedS

I noticed the same problem in our new Bighorn. I'm going to raise the table top to get more leg room.

Also would find the table extended after a trip. The dealer added a strap and snaps to keep the table closed.

supernan1414

I like the booth because I like to sit in the middle when sitting at the table. Our last 5er had table and chairs. If the Landmark table and chair set up was a option and I had known about it may have went that route when we ordered. Yes it is roomy for the 2 of us, tight when someone else sits down.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We turned the table so it runs parallel with the coach, put it against the wall. Now we both have room and a great view, too. But it's just the two of us. A third chair sits at the end of the table, the fourth is at the desk. We have not tried this arrangement with guests.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We gave been shopping for many months for just the right fifth wheel and are starting to lean very much toward the Bighorn. The only problem I have with them is that there doesn't seem to be enough room around the free standing dining table to get the chairs in and out comfortably. If I manage to get myself contorted enough to get into a chair the bottom of the table is scraping the top of my legs. I've searched the forum to see if anyone else have this problem and maybe came up with a modification but did not see anything. Is it just me? I'm not that big a person. Big Country's don't seem to have the same problem as the Bighorn. Why is so little room allotted for the dining table in a good size unit? At this point this might be a deal breaker for me.

Louba,
I feel the same way about the tables. Never did like having my leg scraped everytime I tried to sit down at the table. We had this problem in our Bighorn and then in our Landmark. I ended up replacing the table and chairs in the Landmark with a booth dinette. It turned out really nice and I am much happier.

BTW, we are having an Ohio Rally in June. We would love to have you.

Mark

JJnLilly

We took out two of the chairs as usually there are only two of us. We have wooden folding chair and a chair for the desk should we need extra. I am thinking of removing that large center post and leg supports and replacing the supports with a trestle system. Did that in our old Cougar and it really helped. Gave us plenty of knee room and no more trying to get feet over those leg supports.