What are your favorite SMART PHONE apps? (iPhone, Droid etc.)

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
What are your favorite SMART PHONE apps? (iPhone, Droid etc.)

Being a "newbie" I have not used these apps on the road yet. We would love to gather the "sage" wisdom of you experienced RVers!

Here are a few apps I found for iPhones:
PassportAmerica
Campgrounds
iRV2Forum
Camp & RV
iCamp
Find a Park
RV Companion
RV Parks

Again, I have NOT used these in "real life" and want to know what apps are best.

3Gstore

If you're using an iPhone the app "Coverage?" is pretty sweet. It allows you to overlap all the carriers and map the locations to determine who is going to give you the best reception. I wrote a mini review here - Coverage? App released for iPhone & iPad

Other useful apps:
Trapster - uses background tasks to alert user of road hazards, closed road, accidents, cops etc.
Mapquest - for a free app it's pretty good and does turn by turn with voice
Shazzam - hear a good song, shazzam it and it auto tags the artist letting you know who sings it
eBay - nice mobile app to shop
Dish Network - remote DVR recording and Slingbox
Pandora - Stream your favorite music artists
Speedtest.net - Measure your cellular or wireless speeds

I'll also second Rich's recommendation for "The Weather Channel".

dieselsweetheart

Out of all the apps you mentioned...which ones are free? Is Pandora free? I thought there was a charge. I like GasBuddy too...even for just around town since my Jetta is a diesel.

Boca_Shuffles

A great app for Spanish is Word Lens. It will translate Spanish in signs and menus for you in real-time. Just point your camera at the sign or menu and it will do the translation. No typing is required. Cost is about $5.

Star Walk is great for looking at star constellations. It uses your compass/GPS to locate where in the sky you are looking. Has darker screens for looking at night.

mSecure will allow you to store all your accounts and passwords. Can back up to PC or Mac.

3Gstore

Out of all the apps you mentioned...which ones are free? Is Pandora free? I thought there was a charge. I like GasBuddy too...even for just around town since my Jetta is a diesel.

All of the apps I've mentioned excluding "Coverage?" are free applications. Pandora is a free application, but you do have the option to pay if you'd like a higher bitrate (better quality).

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
ABSOLUTELY NONE!!!!!!!!! I am so sick of this electronic mind dumbing crap on the market I could screem!!!!

KoolQlt

Android market has iRV2 Forum, also. Evernote is my #1 favorite app (free). It's a great way to keep track of your to-do lists, and you can add photos to your lists as well. Handy when you have to remember the model number or part, no typing. You can sort them into notebooks. Evernote is available for Android, BB, i-stuff, online, and desktop, and all of them sync.

Found a Dutch Oven calculator in the Android Market which will calculate the # of briquettes needed based on the cooking method, pan size, and temperature desired. Pretty neat, and I can hardly wait to try it out. I am also pretty impressed with the car panel app that came installed on my Incredible. The GPS navigator looks just as good as the Garmin we purchased last year.

-18 degrees this morning. How long until spring?

jimtoo

Hi KoolQlt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Enjoy the forum and your new TT when it thaws out.

Jim M

cjbearden

Visitor
The Weather Channel, UPS, USPS, itranslate and Spanish LE, iBooks, Amazon Kindle, Stanza, DirecTV, Spy Cams, Walgreens, IMDb, AroundMe, GPS Lite, iHandy Level, Ruler, Holy Bible, ASL Signs, Passport America, ISpeed, Interstate Diesel, Paw Card (track my cat's information), iTriage, MurphyUSA, iCamp, RV Companion, ATTScanner, PingChat, DriversEd LE

I love using my iPhone 3GS to read free books and the occasional one I choose to buy. We constantly track the weather in several cities in order to determine where we might find a campground with best temps for any particular season. Some apps are used during traveling or to plan travels. UPS is used a lot to track our packages as we are big 'at home' shoppers. Language apps can come in handy in Texas where Spanish is often used. It is nice to have the various apps whether they are used or not. So much free stuff out there, just have to search.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Absolutely yes on msecure. It's not free but it is worth it to be able to have one really secure way to store all kinds of info...not just usernames and passwords.

iBank is another app I use all the time. I keep my bank accounts on my iTouch and enter purchases as I make them. Will sync with the computer at home when I get there so we are always up to date whether traveling or not. Again, not free, but not as much as Quicken, and works just as well for us. There are cheaper apps out there, but I tried some of those, and had nothing but trouble with syncing and lost records. Sometimes you get what you pay for .....

Kristy

porthole

Retired
My-Cast. Free on the PC, few bucks on the phone. Colornote, Evernote, Skype (our daughter lives in the UK).
Skype works really well in the truck. Allows me to talk to her on the way to work (works over the BT connection)

My Optimun DVR app.
GasBuddy, UPS. Tip calculator
If you ar a boater, BoatUS just launched an app for your membership and towing info.

Craigslist, Netflix Pandora
Trapster (overheats my phone it works so much here)