2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch with 6,400mi found on road dead....

Status
Not open for further replies.

greylynn

Well today I was driving home from getting one of my quads dynoed in Reno and all the sudden my truck just shut off at about 65 mph on the highway. I barely was able to get to the shoulder without getting hit. The computer said I had 35 miles until empty and I was waitin for a turn off but didn't make it there. I was 50 miles from home....

To make a nightmare of long story short, after having roadside assistance bring fuel, because I wanted to make sure the computer wasn't messing up and I wasn't out of fuel, it still wouldn't start. Ford said even if it did run out of fuel, just crank and it should start. Still no start......And the Wrench symbol was on the dash.....

About two hours later a tow finally comes and gets me. Now keep in mind I have a 12 ft trailer with a quad on it and I have no way to get the trailer back to my house because the tow will only take me to the nearest Ford Dealership. There was no way I was going to leave my custom R1 Raptor on the side of the road. So I had to have a buddy come with his truck to get me from the dealership or I would have had to pay about $180 more to take my trailer to my house which was about 20 miles farther than the dealership.

Ford would only cover taking a trailer for up to $200....Thank the Lord I didn't have my Cyclone and family with me out in the middle of nowhere because I would have been SCREWED! Anyway I am tired and exhausted from a nighmare of a day........I can't believe a 60K plus Ford F-250 King Ranch would crap out a less than 6,500mi...UNBELIEVEABLE! I did feel a lot better when I got to the dealership and they said "sorry for the inconvienience"......Not

I am convinced that these are just not good motors! I am supposed to go to the dunes for President's Weekend, and now I will be so paranoid that I will be stranded on the 10 hour drive to Dumont that I don't even know if I can do it! Imagine being stranded with a toy hauler three quads and your whole family. UNSAT....

Grey

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Things happen to all machines, fix it, get over it and get on with life. DO NOT let one thing bother you so much! Ford, Chevy, Dodge all have problems and are repaired. You kind of sound like someone that expects perfection out of a non perfect machine>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WOW!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

boatdoc

Before I get flamed by all the Ford lovers, I was a third generation Ford lover and it was these kind of engine problems from Ford that allow me to drive a truck with a Cummins in it now. Flame suit on and waiting!!!

greylynn

Things happen to all machines, fix it, get over it and get on with life. DO NOT let one thing bother you so much! Ford, Chevy, Dodge all have problems and are repaired. You kind of sound like someone that expects perfection out of a non perfect machine>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WOW!!!!

Your first comment makes no sense in realtion to this topic. If my truck dies on the highway and leaves me stranded on the side of the road do I think it's bad? Yeah I do. If something like this happened to you I'm pretty sure you would feel the same way. but you probably haven't spent 60K on a brand new truck and had it leave you on the side of the road for hours with 6,400mi on it have you?

The dealership just called me and said it is a high pressure fuel fault showing. They are going to take some fuel samples for Ford, which I am sure is to try to F&%* me out of a warranty by saying I put bad fuel in it. Other than that they had no information. Other than it may be "Very involved"....They also said they are going to check for metal contaminents.

I have no truck, I am supposed to go to the dunes for President's Day, and now I'm pretty sure none of that is going to happen. I have been waiting all damm year to go to the dunes and ~poof~ gone.......

Last edited by a moderator:

greylynn

Anyone considering buying a Ford with the 6.4l Navistar/International motor. i would think again. Go take a look in some of the Ford forums and read the horror stories. I wish I would have! Now the 2011 6.7l motor is actaully made by Ford. Hopefully that is a solid motor.

Grey

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I hate mechanical problems myself, but they happen. After you regroup things won't seem as bad.

Last edited:

TandT

Before I get flamed by all the Ford lovers, I was a third generation Ford lover and it was these kind of engine problems from Ford that allow me to drive a truck with a Cummins in it now. Flame suit on and waiting!!!

No flaming here.Extremely good taste, I would say.

Last edited:

jimtoo

:) And if the flames get to high, heat gets to hot, smoke gets to thick,,,,, I have a heat, smoke and flame eliminator, the "Delete" key. :)

Not joining sides,,,just talking. :)

Jim M

Del600

Iowa Chapter Founding Father
I had quite a few issues with my Duramax when new, mostly related to fuel rail pressures and it was frustrating.

i have gone against the manufacturers recommendations and am now using additives, and the dealership no longer sees the truck. Even under warranty I was not happy with their level of diesel knowldge, most dealers have 1 diesel guy, and if he is on vacation I was out of luck.

I know NOTHING about diesels, but with little fuel in it, and a fuel pressure reading.... prbably will go hand in hand..... ,mine rarely gets below 1/2 tank, (and with a 26 gallon tank its frustrating).

6.7powerstroke

The 6.4 is really a roll of the dice. Navistar and Ford had an ugly divorce over the early 6.0 issues and unfortunately Ford couldn't wait to rid themselves of this relationship. The problem is that the 6.4 owners are really feeling the brunt. The motor was the first generation with the new emissions controls, mainly the DPF system. I am a frequent poster on the Ford diesel site and a new 6.7 owner. It is simply the best truck on the market, hands down. You may want to talk to your dealer about trading in your 6.4 for a 6.7, there have been some killer deals that have been worked, Ford wants to get 6.4 owners into 6.7s ASAP. It is an entirely different drivetrain.

Don't let the Dodge/Ram/Fiat guys get to you, they are still dreaming of the old 5.9 Cummins days, which are gone with 2007. The 6.7 Cummins has had plenty of its own problems, in fact it hasn't even been in the most recent shootouts because the Dodge simply isn't built to anywhere near the towing capacities of the Ford or GM products.

Not only is the 6.7 Powerstroke in its own class, it wasn't built with ANY government bailout money!! Good luck, hopefully you just had a sensor go out, at least it is still under warranty.

TandT

The 6.4 is really a roll of the dice. Navistar and Ford had an ugly divorce over the early 6.0 issues and unfortunately Ford couldn't wait to rid themselves of this relationship. The problem is that the 6.4 owners are really feeling the brunt. The motor was the first generation with the new emissions controls, mainly the DPF system. I am a frequent poster on the Ford diesel site and a new 6.7 owner. It is simply the best truck on the market, hands down. You may want to talk to your dealer about trading in your 6.4 for a 6.7, there have been some killer deals that have been worked, Ford wants to get 6.4 owners into 6.7s ASAP. It is an entirely different drivetrain.

Don't let the Dodge/Ram/Fiat guys get to you, they are still dreaming of the old 5.9 Cummins days, which are gone with 2007. The 6.7 Cummins has had plenty of its own problems, in fact it hasn't even been in the most recent shootouts because the Dodge simply isn't built to anywhere near the towing capacities of the Ford or GM products.

Not only is the 6.7 Powerstroke in its own class, it wasn't built with ANY government bailout money!! Good luck, hopefully you just had a sensor go out, at least it is still under warranty.

Still living the 5.9 days. Only 35,000 miles on my truck. :)

Last edited:

boatdoc

Please don't start crowing yet about the 6.7, it's a very new engine and with the track record of previous Ford branded engines in our TVs it needs a little time to show it's worthiness to pull our big trailers around.
I have not gave up on Ford entirely but have long gave up on their engines. Sure it was a Navistar but Ford put it in their truck and used their computer programming to over HP a 165HP engine to cause all the problems. Why blame Navistar. I really hope the 6.7 works out and Ford changes many of our minds into consider them again.

jwalker1

I had a 2008 F350 Dually King Ranch and had the same fuel problem all be it I had 40,000 miles on mine. I received a letter from one of the dealers here in town to buy my 6.4L back for full NADA book value and took them up on it. I am really happy with the fuel mileage, the towing and the dependability of the new 6.7. As you can see I tow a 3950.

noobee

I have a 2008 RAM with better than 100,000km & I would guess 85,000+ hauling my BH. NOT A PROBLEM!!!! So what is your rant about?????
CS

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Well today I was driving home from getting one of my quads dynoed in Reno and all the sudden my truck just shut off at about 65 mph on the highway. I barely was able to get to the shoulder without getting hit. The computer said I had 35 miles until empty and I was waitin for a turn off but didn't make it there. I was 50 miles from home....

To make a nightmare of long story short, after having roadside assistance bring fuel, because I wanted to make sure the computer wasn't messing up and I wasn't out of fuel, it still wouldn't start. Ford said even if it did run out of fuel, just crank and it should start. Still no start......And the Wrench symbol was on the dash.....

About two hours later a tow finally comes and gets me. Now keep in mind I have a 12 ft trailer with a quad on it and I have no way to get the trailer back to my house because the tow will only take me to the nearest Ford Dealership. There was no way I was going to leave my custom R1 Raptor on the side of the road. So I had to have a buddy come with his truck to get me from the dealership or I would have had to pay about $180 more to take my trailer to my house which was about 20 miles farther than the dealership.

Ford would only cover taking a trailer for up to $200....Thank the Lord I didn't have my Cyclone and family with me out in the middle of nowhere because I would have been SCREWED! Anyway I am tired and exhausted from a nighmare of a day........I can't believe a 60K plus Ford F-250 King Ranch would crap out a less than 6,500mi...UNBELIEVEABLE! I did feel a lot better when I got to the dealership and they said "sorry for the inconvienience"......Not

I am convinced that these are just not good motors! I am supposed to go to the dunes for President's Weekend, and now I will be so paranoid that I will be stranded on the 10 hour drive to Dumont that I don't even know if I can do it! Imagine being stranded with a toy hauler three quads and your whole family. UNSAT....

Grey
Sorry to hear of your problems but did you do any research on that truck beforing buying it? I researched the Ford diesel heavly locally and online and found it too risky period. Hopefully you can get repaired without costing you a arm and a leg then put it up for sale.

jcarnevale

I feel your pain, less than 24 hours prior to a trip my Ford's low-pressure fuel pump failed leaving me stranded. Fortunately I did not have my trailer in tow but it really messed up year-long plans with three other people heading to a major race.

My Ford dealership was great. They fixed it and covered it under warranty but I still missed a great trip.

Stuff happens, don't let it get you down. I was crazy mad when it happened to me but in retrospect, it all worked out, I ended up giving my three nights at a premium campsite to another racer.

I have the same trip planned for this year, let's hope things go better.

danemayer

You may want to consider Good Sams Roadside Assistance.

From their FAQs:

Q: I own a fifth wheel trailer and truck. If my truck breaks down, does Good Sam RV ERS pay to tow the truck and travel trailer? A: Yes! While other emergency roadside service providers may not cover specialized services like fifth wheel towing, Good Sam RV ERS includes the cost to tow both vehicles to the nearest professional service center that can repair your vehicle. If the repairs on your truck are serious enough that they will take several days to complete, Good Sam RV ERS will pay to have your travel trailer taken to a safe location, such as the nearest campground while you wait.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Our auto insurance covers towing to the nearest repair place and towing our coach to the nearest camp ground. I had the opportunity to take advantage of this last summer. Got an extra day of camping (broke down on the last day of our two week trip). When I got back I took the receipt to my agent and was reimbursed that day. It was a great trip.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sorry your Ford broke. We have had 2 D/A Chevy's that have never had any break downs. But, someone please tell me what Fiat has to do with this thread. BTW, the people that rant at GM and Chrysler about bailout money.... do your homework. Ford hocked everything including the "Blue Oval" to stay in business. They where going down the tubes also.

Status
Not open for further replies.