Better Sound and More Options - A Few Questions Before Starting

floridarandy

As many of you know we're new to 5th wheel camping. While all the factory audio works I'm in the early stages of investigating replacment. Here are my starting questions:

1. The Receiver/Amplifier unit provides radio, built-in CD and the ability to route TV sound to the speakers supplied. I assume this unit is 12v power? And, if so, I assume its fed by some type of converter that steps down 120v when hooked up to shore power? If so I assume it could be replaced by a "car stereo" headunit that runs of 12v?

2. What type of power draw does the existing factory Receiver/Amplifier have? How much additional power drain can the built in power system accomodate above that currently used by the factory Receiver/Amplifier?

3. Since the rig has the capacity to supply 120v power through the outlets why not simply use a 120v home stereo unit since we're 99% shore power when we listen to the sound system. Any reason this wouldn't work?

My initial thinking is to replace the system with a new car stereo head unit. These now have IPOD connection built-in, Sirius or XM capability and a wider variety of tuners AM/FM and even Weather radio. Better units also have the capacity to connect DVD players, TV tuners, and game consoles so inputs should be no problem. The bigger issue may be how much power draw the 5vers system can accomodate...especially if a separate amplifier is added to better drive an improved speaker system.

I'll figure out speakers after I get the source figured out.

Thanks

Randy in Florida

fljlcw

look in the back if its plugged into A 120v AC outlet which I think it is it will be 120v not12v dc unless its special ordered with A inverter most all rvs wont have one from the factory they only have A converter to run 12v DC items such as lights water pump etc. and to charge the bat. Fred

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The current list of features on HL's website for the Sundance says it's a 12V unit. Replacing it with a car stereo should not create an increased power drain on the converter. Check your manual, it should have the power consumption specifications listed for it. Plugging a 120V home stereo unit into an available outlet to run your DVD's and TV sound should also not be a problem unless you somehow manage to overload a circuit. For reference, my older Bose home system only pulls 5A total. The Samsung HT-20 stereo unit in our BH only pulls 0.5A (120V).

I just replaced the receiver in our 08 BH with a 12volt car receiver and now have great FM reception.
The unit that came with the BH was pure junk, no matter what I did with the antenna including using the
roof mount TV antenna reception was very poor.

caissiel

I have a Car TV/DVD player in my truck and to be honest I would change to this type of unit in a heartbeat when my Jensen unit starts giving me problems.
Its much better to have a 12Volt unit then 120Volts as long as quality is not sacrificed.
My friends with SOB units only have 120Volt units and realy miss 12volt convenience.

But I would have nothing less then a DVD player so I don't have to carry 2 system hooked up to the same TV. Our bedroom TV has the all 120volt DVR system that is very handy in taping shows that we will miss while we are gone. I have the DVR, harddrive unit in the bedroom because I feel that the bouncing at the rear of the trailer will be sensitive to the DVR unit and might damage it in transit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just replaced the receiver in our 08 BH with a 12volt car receiver and now have great FM reception.
The unit that came with the BH was pure junk, no matter what I did with the antenna including using the

We had the opposite experience with the FM reception on the Samsung HT-20 receiver. Connected to the radio antenna on the wall of the slide, we barely got one local station. Connecting to the TV cable via a 75-ohm splitter and we get the whole spectrum with no interference (unless a 12V fan is turned on). I need to add the small capacitor to the fan motors this summer.

floridarandy

What unit did you choose? Was it capable of taking all the speaker connections in the rig? Did the receiver also have DVD, etc, and did you hook TV through for sound? What was the power requirement (draw) and power output (watts to speakers) of the unit you bought?

Thanks

loothig

Does anyone have any experience with the Northtrail. We just ordered a Northtrail FBS 22ft. I read some reviews with complaints about the speakers. When you spend that much money on a camper, nothing should be junk. Thanks