roof

mountain1

I have read what I can find on the forums about roofs but want to be sure. If I have a 2009 Razor the only thing I need to do to the roof is clean it real well? Do I put any thing on it like rubber etc?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Basically all you need to do is clean it with Dawn dish soap, water, and a soft brush (I use one suitable for washing the truck) and check the caulking around all of the seams.

BruteForce

I was under the impression that there was 3 stages to maintaining the roof:

1) Clean with a special rubberized cleaner
2) Mop with a special rubberized lubricant
3) Check the seams and patch as necessary.

JohnDar

This topic came up a while back. Although there are various products sold for cleaning/maintaining the roof, soap and water still work. I suppose if your roof has gotten really nasty, one of the "prepared" products might be needed, but I'd try the basic methods first.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11710-Rubber-roofs-on-trailers?p=85026

branson4020

Icantre Member
Well, I guess I'll just have to ask....

Why clean it at all? Nothing you can do will extend it's life. Arguably all that scrubbing and buffing and polishing will actually shorten the life. It certainly increases the chance of damage. I've never cleaned any rubber roof and never had any problems. Heck, the only time I even get up there is to inspect the caulking every year or so.

goodtruck

I get up there twice a year and clean and inspect it.I look at it this way,the morning dew will atract the dust in the air and enough of it will make the roof really dirty.The dirt builds up in the drain areas and then the rain will not flow like it should.This leads to standing water and that leads to leaks. Just mt 2 cents

JohnDar

I look at it as a little bit of exercise to work off all the grilled food and booze I consume while we're at the rig. If I didn't wash it occasionally with soap and water, then I'd probably be spending the bigger bucks on prepared stuff to clean it with. Our site has a lot of trees and the sap is sticky. The CG has also started spraying for gypsy moths, and some of that stuff rinses off the trees and ends up on the rig at the beginning of the season. Kind of an orange/brown residue. Washes off easily, but all the more reason to get up there and do it.

Birchwood

Dicor has a site that tells you what to clean your roof with and how its done with precautions to follow.