tow/haul

mountain1

Hate to submit two in a short period but I would like some advice on when to use the tow/haul option. From the truck manual it appears only when going up and down steep grades. I have never swithced that option on because my RPMs and the turbo gauge never has shown stress of going to high. I read many are getting 10-11 MPG towing and I am not any where near that.
The toy hauler with three axels and with water 110 gallons and fuel for generator is pretty heavy but everyone on the list is getting far better mileage than I am.
I have a Ford F-450 and it is geared rather low but pulls really well.

grizzlygiant

I don't know anything about Fords but I drive my Dodge Ram all the time in tow/haul. I get 11-13 mpg depending on terrain, wind and speed. With thw $$$ of diesel now I think I'll try to stay below 55 as I travel cross-country next month!!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
When hitched, I am in tow/haul. Mileage varys 10-12 towing our 3450. 14-16 empty.

Hate to submit two in a short period but I would like some advice on when to use the tow/haul option. From the truck manual it appears only when going up and down steep grades. I have never swithced that option on because my RPMs and the turbo gauge never has shown stress of going to high. I read many are getting 10-11 MPG towing and I am not any where near that.
The toy hauler with three axels and with water 110 gallons and fuel for generator is pretty heavy but everyone on the list is getting far better mileage than I am.
I have a Ford F-450 and it is geared rather low but pulls really well.

My F450 has the 4.88 rear end and gets its best mileage at about 50 MPH. My understanding is that the tow haul mode pretty much just changes the shift points on the transmission. I use it all the time when hauling. Pulling my Cyclone 3950, always right at GVWR (18K), on level ground I have gotten close to 10 MPG. In the hills I get more in the high 7 or 8 range. However, I have had a few occasions where the mileage has dropped down. I always run some injector cleaner through when that happens and it has always rebounded to my normal economies.

By the way - empty at 50 MPG, I average about 16.5 MPG (including regens) if I drive carefully.

I've seen turbo boost as high as about 35 pounds. I have not had any problems pulling up hills. I've even passed folks going to very steep grades. But that does drink the fuel so I don't do it often.

Hope that helps you.

lwmcguir

Any time we are hooked to a trailer that is >8K we use the tow/haul option. I think this makes sense for all the trucks that have the option. Our mileage runs from 10-14 depending on the weight/wind/roads when towing. Much better than the old 7.3 engines ever got loaded.

PUG

Pug
Tow haul changes the shift points where it maintains a closer shift pattern thusly keeping the power more evenly applied. It also makes the clutch in the trans shift slip less so you will see a sharper harder shift. I have had it on a Duramax and now a Dodge. On the Duramax I could see a very definite trans temp change upward when pulling a load with the Tow Haul off. When I would turn it off the trans temp would go down thusly less slipping of the internal clutch. I leave mine on all the time while pulling and see a small decline in mileage.

TedS

Chevy Duramax/Allison. I use tow/haul whenever I pull the trailer. It runs the shift points up to higher rpm where I would shift if I had a manual transmission. I don't like lugging an engine. It also downshifts when coming downhill to help control downhill speed. It responds to brake application. It downshifts as I slow down coming up to a reduced speed zone or to a stop. Less brake effort. The first few times it downshifted coming down a hill scared the stuff out of me. The sound of the engine fan because the engine temp was up from the uphill pull and the high engine rpm due to the downshift sounded like everything was about to come apart. I wasn't sure that a diesel was to rev that high. It was normal and built to do it. Now I look forward to the downshift.

TeJay

We are driving the 2010 F-150, 6-speed and just ordered our NT 24-RBS. I think the Tow/Haul function on the Ford was new in 2010. The the ABS system & engine speed control are integrated to reduce trailer sway (but that function won't engage below 40-MPH). When T/H is engaged it delays shifting to reduce frequency of shifting or hunting. Also the 6-speed adaptive shifting patterns are learned & stored by the computer for future reference.

I am sold on ABS & traction control. I remember when it was first introduced how people rebelled against it. I wouldn't drive without it. It is even used on 18-wheelers. So if that technology works lets hope the RSC (roll stability control) anti-sway & ESC (electronic stability control) will also work as designed. It's kind of like maybe I'll never need some or all of it but if I do I hope it functions as designed.

TeJay

jnbhobe

Doyourself a favor and use tow-haul any time your towing!! The only time I turn it off is when I can't go fast enough to let the transmisson shift into high gear.Its great for slowing down and down hills sure does save on the brakes on the truck and trailer brakes (witch aren't much good any way).

Moose

I don't know anything about Fords but I drive my Dodge Ram all the time in tow/haul. I get 11-13 mpg depending on terrain, wind and speed. With thw $$$ of diesel now I think I'll try to stay below 55 as I travel cross-country next month!!

Ditto for me.

hillsonwheels

My two pennies........I've used tow/haul in my Chevy since new in '08 when towing. Last year (maybe being overly cautious?) I added a Banks braking system. Recently put our coach in for a "well baby" check up and asked that brakes be checked. Tech was tugging on wires and the feed for the rear axle breaks came out with no insulation skinned off the wire and absolutely no indication that brakes were ever in operation on the rear drums! And, he found evidence of overfill of grease in the left drum. THANK YOU CAMPING WORLD! They did the wheel lubing last year.

My bottom line......if not for cautious driving and tow/haul....I'd have had a really seat sucking time in a true panic situation. With the Banks system in place, I really felt more in control during long down hill runs last towing season.....9% switchback grades in WV made a believer out of me!!!
You should always use tow/haul.......mileage be d$&%&^ed.

Birchwood

Am in tow mode with my Duramax/Allison when towing otherwise the grade braking feature in the transmission
won't function.With no load I keep it off for better fuel economy.The vehicle owners manual recommends tow
mode with a large trailer attached.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Tow/Haul when ever the 3950 is on the 5th wheel hitch or the excavator is sitting on the equipment trailer being towed off the rear. Original (maintained) transmission still does it's thing the right way.

bikerbob

I have a 2010 Ford F-150 Lariat with the Tow Package and Trailer Brake Contoller with a 5.4 litre engine. However, I have only towed my new 24 RBS from the dealership to my home and it drove excellently. I am attending the April Rally in Spring, Texas and this will be my first trip. Hopefully, if I have any questions, I can ask someone there who is Certified Walk Through Tech. I love the read the feedback on this forum because it's very informative to me being a newbee.

TeJay

BikerBob,
We just ordered the NT-24-RBS and are pulling it with a 2010 F-150 with the 4.6-L engine. We could not even see the actual model that we ordered except from the brochure. Also the web sight does not have pictures available for the 24-RBS so I guess we're buying kind of blind. I hope we will like it when it comes in.

We did tow the 22-FBS which is a little heavier than the 24 but not by much and it towed just fine. I have never towed a trailer so I was a little concerned with getting to much weight on the back. I have also researched and will install the Firestone air-bags to give me more suspension assist and some adjustment if needed.
If you would give me a heads up on your impression of the unit.
Thanks,
TeJay & Liz