Tow Vehicle/TT suspension improvements

TeJay

Hi to all,
I can't seems to find a thread or exact location for this subject so I'll post it here and maybe get some answers.

We have owned two MH's (77-Tioga -23' & 99 Dutch Star - 34' so we are not new to RV-ing but new to Trailer towing. While shopping the dealer allowed us to tow a NT-22FBS with a WD-hitch. It is a little heavier than the 24-RBS but they didn't have the 24 in stock. It towed well so I'm not worried about the engine but if the handling can be improved so be it.

We've ordered the NT-24RBS & will use the "Equalizer" 4-point WD-hitch. We will tow with a 2010 F-150 with 3.55 gears, 6-speed transmission, tow package, Tow/haul, & the 4.6 aluminum engine. Air bags were installed on the Dutch Star to improve & provide some adjustment of the suspension system. While researching air-bags I came across "Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems." It sounds good but it would be nice to get some real world hands-on experience with this product.

The trailer we ordered is well within the trucks towing capabilities & the truck handled well towing it for 20 miles but as I have read on the Heartland forums there are many of us who are always looking to improve all aspect of our traveling experiences. I will be doing most of the driving & I want it to be as good as I can get it. Has anybody out there used this product or know of anybody who has?? I would appreciate any information or suggestions.

I'm also interested in knowing if the trailers suspension system is good enough or can it also be improved? I might also add that I am a retired automotive instructor & do have the tools to make most any type of improvement if it is needed.

Thanks,
TeJay & Liz

lwmcguir

We installed the CP system on our Coach. Certainly improved the handling as did the 1000 increase in springs all around. Air bags always work well on trucks and I like the fact you can change them based on the load.

tf5598

Close to the same set up as you (09 F150 5.4l 4x4, Equalizer wdh) and put the Roadmaster Active Suspension on (http://activesuspension.com/). I put the kit on before I got my trailer, so I can't say if there was an improvement, but my truck does quite well towing a NT 32 BUDS (I know, lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton). Virtually no sag. What I liked about this setup was that it was advertised that it didn't change the ride w/o a load, and that turned out to be true. Plus, it's fire and forget, don't have to mess with inflation.
Install wasn't as easy as they say...had to drill larger holes in the plates to fit the bolts (you'll need a drill press...hand drill won't do it). They may have fixed this by now.