Prodigy P3.....flashing RED.....

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We pick up our BC 3250TS next week in Michigan, weather permitting. The P3 was installed about 2 weeks ago. It has rained 2 times since the install and both x's the P3 flashed RED, "BRAKE SHORT NO BRAKES".......the installer said it shouldn't do that once we are hooked up.

I am NOT comfortable with that answer....especially towing home via the Smokey Mtn range!!!

I did a visual check and wiring at splice point under bed (had plug installed inside P/U bed) all "look" good, I then wrapped the spiced area with plastic and sealed with electrical tape to at least partially waterproof the splices. Well, I ran the truck through a local car wash and the warning light came on again, "BRAKE SHORT, NO BRAKES".

Oh, warning light goes off after "things" dry up??

I am taking it back to the installer but wondering if "yall" have suggestions. Thanks!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well, your dealer is right, it shouldn't do that once you are hooked up. One thing he didn't tell you is that it shouldn't do that when you are not hooked up. I have the P3 and have never seen that warning. I would not take a chance towing and knowing that something is not right.
I would call Tekonsha and tell them the problem, then armed with that information get back to the installer and have them make it right.
Just my thoughts.
Let us know how it all turns out.

Peace
Dave

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I also have never seen that error message in the three years we have used a Prodigy hitched or unhitched!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We don't have the Prodigy now but in 6 years of using one we never had that towing or not towing either. Something is wrong.

lduguay

Here is the answer from the Prodigy folks:

"This is a common warning to come up on the P3 when moisture is found in the connections or connector. It’s very difficult to eliminate this warning. You can try sealing connections and dielectric grease on 7 way connector (front and back), but for the most part you will seen this when driving through water puddle or rain, etc…
Although it draws your attention when driving, with no trailer connected, I want to too ignore the warning. The only time you should be concerned with this warning is when you actually have the trailer connected and then you see this code."

Thank You

Cequent Performance Products

Sooooo, they say, "I want to too ignore the warning"!!!!!??? Hmmmmm,
"The only time you should be concerned with this warning is when you actually have the trailer connected and then you see this code.".....YA THINK!!!!!!!!
So maybe I "experiment" on my first trip through the Smokies??....I think not!!.......
I know, I'll invite their family to join us for the exciting ride down the mountain........

Ok.....I feel better after venting. Guess I will just have to have the installer redo the wiring and work on the waterproofing.

I am open to any good ideas on the "waterproofing"??

Thanks!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Did the truck not have a 7 pin connector from the factory? I am confused why there is any splicing of wires to begin with, much less in an area that can get wet.. My 03 dodge 1500 had a pigtail jack under the dash to plug the p3 jumper right into, no splices anywhere. I will spray crc 56 into the 7 pin female and mail connectors on the rear of truck and trailer to clean them up once in awhile, but I have never had any issues with moisture or that error message. I think the installation might not be up to par. That being said, at this point I would make sure the connections are clean and dry and then apply marine liquid wire insulation liberally to each wire seperately and then insulate the bundle with shrink tubing. Good Luck!

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
It is a "common" error that has been assossitaed with moisture in connections. It does goe away when you have a trailer hooked up. The P3 senses any loss or leak of electrical current through moisture in the connections as a short somewhere. I have only seen it once on mine. Just after I installed it and it rained heavily. I waterproffed all the connections and have never seen the message again. Here is some more info.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&rlz=1R...+to+battery+error&spell=1&fp=3b15e1a9e1579b3b

lduguay

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I guess what I don't understand is why the installer had to cut and splice any wires. If the OP's truck had a factory hitch why didn't they just install the aftermarket wire harness from the hitch plug to the new plug in the bed. Thats the way mine is and have never had any codes.

ncrebel8

Wesley and Niki Norwood
Thanks Wesley.....the Duramax forum seems to have the best answer, http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/towing-hauling/69482-tekonsha-p3-short-battery-warning.html , I am not sure if an 03 has the "optional 5th wheel" wiring.......guess I will pull the spare tire to see if the "optional" wiring is there.

Bret, I had a 7 pin wired into the truck bed for fiver hookup.....the "spice" is behind the spare tire, into the OE bumper 7 pin wiring harness.

Honestly, if you have trouble getting it to stop doing it dont get to upset. it is simply a matter of the dignostics of the P3 being too smart. Going by what some others have found it doesnt take much moisture, you may not even be able to tell there is moisture in the connectors by looking. Seems to sense even a very very small leak of electricity as a short. Once the trl is hooked up it goes away because the current flows through the correct paths to satisfy the diagnostics in the P3. I know what you mean that flashing red would get annoying to me. Regardless, you will love the way the controller works. Best brake controller you can buy unless you want to spend 3 times the money.

Bob, your question can probably only be answered by the installer. Maybe the aftermarket harness was unavailable? Backordered? I know they were when I ordered mine had to wait like 6 months for it, just used the bumper plug until it came in and I installed it. Or it may have just been cheaper to make one and splice it in?

jpajax

I would use heat shrink tubing on any splice that would be exposed to weather. Also could you take a spray bottle of water and spray one area at a time until the code shows up.