Ordered Portable Generator

jbeletti

Hi folks,

Nancy and I will not be full-timing anytime soon, nor do we plan to do much boondocking, but I did feel the need to have some backup power, so after much research and consideration, today I ordered the Honda EU2000i from Mayberry's.

They wouldn't match a lower price I found elsewhere but they did throw in the DC charging cable. I suppose that's worth something. I also ordered the Marine cover for the unit. Total delivered cost: $925 ($899 gen + $26 cover - no tax and no shipping).

I plan to keep the generator in the tool box in the bed of my truck. I also plan to a couple of passive vents the box to handle of gasoline fume venting.

Jim

Tom of Ypsi

Good for you Jim. I guess I should get off of my butt and start getting things for my RV also. Where was the cheaper place if you don't mind telling. I have also been looking at one of the Honda knockoffs, Chinese made, but a little skeptical. On your tool box, is that a combo fuel/tool box or just toolbox? I want the extra fuel capacity so I can stop when I want not when I have to.

jbeletti

Tom,

The other place that offered a lower price on the Honda EU2000i than Mayberry's is Alamia's. I heard about them from posts on RV.net. People said good things about them. I called a few weeks back and was quoted $875 delivered. I carefully considered it and decided to see if I could get Mayberry's to come closer. Mayberry's has a long-standing good reputation and I wanted to buy from them if possible. As a side note, they have been the number 1 volume dealer for Homda generators for 5 years in a row. Hope that means their customer service is tops too!

As for my tool box, it is not a combo box. It is an under the rail tool chest with a 1 piece lid that is hinged at the back. It is from K&W Manufacturing. The model I am getting is narrower than the width if my truck bed. I am getting the 550-57. It is made from aluminum tread plate and is black powder coated (picture below). The -57 in my chest indicates 57" wide. I need the extra space on each side of the chest to accomodate the tension adjusters for my roll-up bed cover.

truck_chest_lg.jpg

Tom of Ypsi

Jim,
Thanks for that info. I need a tool box just so I don't have junk just sliding around in the bed.
On another note, that switch in the battery area is for the backup lights. It was daylight out yesterday when I was playing around with it. It was also 54 degrees so I could play around outside with the trailer. Today it is 21 degrees. :eek:

Attachments

• 2015-07-09 15.26.22.jpg
    2015-07-09 15.26.22.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 2015-07-10 18.53.45.jpg
    2015-07-10 18.53.45.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 22

jbeletti

Tom,

I spoke to K&W Mfg. (Custom Tool Boxes) yesterday and I asked them about combo boxes with fuel tanks. they told me that while they are not in production at this time on them, it is on the table. Until then, there are several box fab houses out there that have them.

Bet you could get a neat factory tour at K&W though - I see they're 115 miles from you (they're in Bronson, MI).

Jim

rosco

generator

alright Jim and Tom ... stop it..., I still have 18 months to go.. Ha Ha... Glad to see you guys are having a good time setting things up.... Have a great day.... :):)

Last edited:

nhunter

Jim, have you had a chance to use your generator and how do you like it. I was thinking of ordering 2 and running them in parallel to run the a/c. I thought about a 3000watt but they are to heavy for 1 man to lift.

jbeletti

I've yet to use it to power the Landdmark. I have used it for other portable power needs. Lightweight and quiet. And it fits in my tool box with the compressor and some tools.

tdharley

EU2000 or 3000?

I did not think a 200 would run the ac.

I had a 3000 Honda inverter type and it was great. QUIET

I have a Kipor 3000 now and that is just as quiet. Used it last weekend , it used 3/4 between 10 am and 8 pm

osims

bsims
We have two honda 2000s and love them, when I was shopping for them I stopped at the local honda shop ,they told me they would beat any adv. price I could find , they got about same price as Jim paid.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Going to Redmond Oregon in July to "The Ralley". 2 years ago they were selling Honda 2000's for $600. Hopefully this year the same. I will get one anyway. Plus no tax in Oregon...

BluegrassMan

Guy's

A couple years ago I bought the EU3000i great unit and VERY quiet, though it IS a little heavy. When I want to put it in the bed, I use my engine hoist and drop it right in. I lift my hitch the same way, saves the back and no hernia that way. Just my $.02 worth.

nhunter

TDHarley, I want two EU2000 generators and will run them in parallel. I have a box with a 50amp plug that is fed off of 2 - 20amp plugs. I am by myself a lot at work without any hoisting type device, plus I would get 4000watts instead of 3000.

C

Chulinw

TDH on your Kipor 3000 does it have a 30amp twist plug. They are asking $1500.00 + tax for it local. I know a couple people that have Kipor and are very happy with the performance.