snow on roof/crank up the heat?

jetjarv

I'm sure this has been brought up before, but I wasn't able to find it on the search function. Probably wasn't puttin in the correct words.

I have the Northtrail 31qbs. Should I worry about the snow? I have been using an automotive foam brush to get most of it off. this is not a fun job.

Soooo....How much snow is too much? I live in Minneapolis. Usually the first few snow falls are heavy snow, now it is very light so I'm not going to worry about it.

A second questions, How about cranking up the heat in the unit? Anyone tried this?

irvin56

I have had my unit for 3 yrs here in Alberta. We get tons of snow. I have not done it for 3 yrs or with my other unit (prowler. Orginal ones) for 17 yrs I owned it. I put down the stabalizers every winter and tighten them up, I leave it unleveled sideways and, just an couple inchs front to back, never had a problem. If they can park a truck on top of roof, I fiqure a bit of snow won't hurt. I also have a 31QBS nice units

Rickhansen

I would have to believe that turning the heat up would be very costly and very inefficient. I also think it would be counterproductive to your intent, as it would increase the density of the snow and form more ice. The ice would pose a larger risk for weight, leaks, and potential freeze-thaw damage. I'd be more inclined to use a push broom (as little as possible) to push excessive snow off your roof.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'd be more concerned about the resultant brain damage from doing a half-gainer off a snow covered roof because I was up there trying to push snow off it. If it forms ice under a layer of snow, trying to dislodge it may cause more damage than it prevents.

BruteForce

I can tell you from experience that the interior is well insulated, so no amount of internal heat will melt the snow quicker. Only the sun and temps above 32F will facilitate this. I've had +3' of snow on the roof with no ill effect (and we're talking REALLY wet and heavy snow). If I can walk on my roof (at 220 pounds), I don't think a bit of snow will hurt it.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If I were to remove the snow from the roof I would use a rubber squeezie on a long pole and get up on a 10 foot ladder. Then push the snow off to the other side. I would not climb on the roof as if it is frozen you could fall or cause the roof to crack.

caissiel

When the trailer is parked in an area where the snow will collect on the roof, as I have done many times snow will collect.
Dry snow is not that heavy on the roof, so lots is not to much a problem.
If the snow is allowed to melt, either by rain or warm weather it gives the wrong weight impression if its allowed to freeze as Ice.
If the ice freezes, then its no problems untill it melts again in warmer weather condition.
I use to shovel it with a plastic shovel, taking care not to hit any vents or A/C covers. Leaving a bit of snow will not hurt so I usualy just dropped the high level of snow down. That way rain or melting snow will reduce the load on the trailer.

grizzlygiant

My RV's have weathered some really deep snows for many years with no ill effects. The only prep I do on the roof if the unit is to be stored long term is to put a wooden box over the plastic vents/skylights. Setting the stabilizers also is a very good idea.