Alabama Fam Camp...?

Bighurt

We are looking to pack up and head south for a potential 30 day stay if not me the wife and kids.

I need to head to Al for buisness and it's fare enough south that the wife is considering the trip.

However, never having been to AL, I don't what to expect.

I would appriciate any adice and recommendations? We really need full hook-ups, as the wife won't be able to dump by herself.

Thanks
Jeremy

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Nice area of the country, just remember to holler Roll Tide or War Eagle every hour or so. Right now it is 25 degrees and rain, they had some ice last night. Bring warm clothes.

Stinger381

Here are a couple of Campgrounds that our family really love in Alabama. I'm from Alabama so I've been to several in the area but not so much near Cullman. But here's my 2 cents anyway ....

Tannehill Iron Works State Park
http://www.tannehill.org/camping.html

We love this place especially in the Spring and Fall. It's a semi-state park with a creek and nice campsites. The kids can play in the water and fish if they like. There is a store in the campground and an ice cream shop. There are historical Iron Works in hiking distance that were used to make ammunition during the Civil War. We love it .... Some of the camp sites are paved some are gravel ..... just look for a good one! This place is between Tuscaloosa and Birmingham.

Desoto State Park

http://www.alapark.com/DeSotoResort/Camping/

This park is near Ft. Payne and it really nice. It was just recently renovated and the bath houses and sites are all new. Most of the sites are paved pull though sites. There is a store on the premises too. Lots of hiking trails and there is a pool there for use during the summer for a minimum fee. There is a lodge on the premises with a great restaurant as well.

Lake Guntersville

http://www.alapark.com/LakeGuntersville/Camping/

Camping on a huge lake off of the Tennesse River. Lots of recreational activities around the water. Lodge here as well and a golf course to boot!

I think you would like any of these ...... Send me a message if I can help some more!!!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
What about Cheaha Mountain area? Drove up there on Saturday and it was pretty nice. Never camped there but looked nice.

Stinger381

I haven't camped up there yet but some buddies at work told me the campground's electrical system is weak .... They couldn't run their AC in the summer when they were there because there weren't enough amps or something .... I hear it's beautiful up there though.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
There is a private campground on Lake Guntersville that would fit your requirements. Mountain Lakes RV resort. It is about 10 miles north of Guntersville. They are part of the Ocean Canyon Resorts group but I suspect you can get a good extended stay rate. Check out campgrounds on Smith Lake also. That would be close to Cullman.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired

HOSS

Point Mallard Campground is located near by in Decatur, which is only about 30 miles north west of Cullman. It has full hook up at all sites, easy in and out for big rigs. There is a golf corse, water park, ice rink, and soccor fields near by. Very nice people, very helpful.

Bighurt

Hey thanks for all the replies, the logistics of the trip have changed somewhat. We may or may not utilize the campgrounds. Still really appriciate the tips. If I make this trip I'll post the trip plans and if we have time we'd love to meet some of the community.