2006 Dodge 3500 CTD gauges

guy_914

Hi....we have ordered a BigHorn 3400RL and have a recently purchased a Dodge RAM 3500 CTD, 48RE auto, 4.10 axle as the TV. I have no plans to make any power mods to the TV...but....would like a better idea on transmission temps during use. The Dodge has a transmission high temp warning light on the dash....comes on at 270 deg F...by that time the transmission fluid and whatever else is "cooked".

So...wanted to add some extra gauges...and I was looking at digital ones that could go on the A pillar. Narrowed it down to the Quadzilla Commander monitor (only, no chip) or the BD Power X-Monitor. nice thing about these...they are small....dont clutter up the A pillar like analog gauges, you dont lose you grab handle on the pillar, dont impact visibility in that corner. The added info you get with these is at least EGT temps, turbo boost pressure and transmission temperature.

Anyone have any experience with of these two digital gauge systems....or any add-on gauges for the Dodge RAM CTD? What do you think of them?, reliability, accuracy, etc.

thanks!...for your comments

John Best
WI

dieselengineer

Charter Member
John
I have been running with the Quad commander for about a year. Very nice gauge. I have the fuel and rail pressure add on. Was not that hard to install, the EGT probe is the hardest, drill and tap the manifold. I have a 6 speed, so the temp probe (tranny) is installed in the engine oil line so I have engine oil temp. You can do a lot with the gauge, setup to alarm on user values you put in. Real nice for the EGT or boost. Also defuel setpoints. I like the data record, the max and min values are stored. Great for recording after a pull what happen. The display can be setup to display 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 valves at the sametime. Updates are downloadable. Really a nice gauge! And the service support is great!

guy_914

Thanks for the input "Dieselengineer". I read the install instructions on both...the BD X-monitor and Quad Commander....both seem straight forward, more tapping into existing engine sensor wiring with the Commander than BD X....not totally thrilled with that. The BD X-monitor ties into the existing sensor for the tranny pan temp....which for me is the preferred sensor location. On the Commander, they recommend putting the sensor in a tranmission test port...Im not thrilled with that...as fluid temp there may not be fully representative of fluid temp in the pan/trans as a whole. I was never a big believer in sensing the fluid temp right out of the torque converter on its way to the cooler....you certainly get the highest readings there...but....is that really all that useful?

Since i dont plan on "chipping" my CTD, i wondered how really useful the other engine run data is for me?, like EGT, boost...what do you think? Since i have a 48RE tranny....i know i want a digital readout on the temp for this for sure, based on my past RV towing experiences.

Did you put your Commander on the a A pillar?..like it?...did you buy their optional mount for this? I Could go with a single digital temp gauge in a factory Dodge SRT10, single gauge pod i can put in...it would look great, and cost 1/3 of the Commander or X-monitor. Then...I still have to decide where to put the temp sensor....since wont tie to exisiting factory sensor in pan. But...then the Engineer in me says....wouldnt it be neat to have all this other engine data?...maybe its overkill.....your thoughts? This is my first diesel TV....so Im looking for input from those who already have been there, "down the road" with the Dodge CTD.

if your CTD was running stock.....and you were towing 14,000 lbs of FW....do you think your were anywhere near the limits on your cooling system?...at high ambients air temps? your thoughts fully appreciated!

John

davebennington

guy_914
I do not have the guages that you are looking at however I did have the same concern about tapping the exhaust. I see that you have the auto tranny, you might want to consider the exhaust brake from Dodge it will give you a port to use for the egt probe.

Dave

guy_914

2006 Dodge CTD gauges

Hi Dave...yes...i do have the factory authorized exhaust brake on my CTD. I agree..it is a very good feature. I have used in both towing and not. Is great for an improved warming up cycle here in the far NORTH country of WI. Before we ordered our Bighorn, we towed a 30', Jayco TT, about 8000 lbs loaded...definitely useful for stopping power...although the CTD hardly knew it was there accelerating.

Yes....i will probably put the TC sensor in the port after the turbo near the exhaust brake. I will have lower readings...they say 150 to 200 deg F less....but still useful info. I guess I am still wondering if having EGT and boost pressure info is all that useful for a non-chipped, stock CTD....maybe a nice thing to have but wondering if a necessity for towing. I do expect our BH 3400RL will be near its capacity at 14000 lbs GVW. From info i have gathered in this forum, I expect our 2008, 3400RL, optioned as we have, will weigh 12000lbs "dry".....before we put any of our "stuff" in it.

Thanks!

John

davebennington

John,

I find that the exhaust brake does save the foot brakes. My truck is bone stock also it pulls our Golden Gate without any problems. You are correct the boost guage is somewhat fluff when you are stock, having said that I find if watch it when going up a hill on and interstate with the cruse control on I can keep the truck from downshifting or gear hunting by using the foot throttle and watching the boost. Our total gross is about 24000 lbs wet and loaded ready for camping.

Dave

dieselengineer

Charter Member
John
The EGT is the one you should have. I would never tow without one, even bone stock. It is very easy to have the temp go high during a long haul up a mountain. Bone stock, you will be able to get to 1300 range. Actual, bone stock the EGT are higher then if the truck had exhaust and intake mods. An added benefit, the EGT can be used for the turbo cooldown. I have both preturbo and post turbo EGT. I have the preturbo gauge on the A pillar and the commander next to the A pillar. High EGT temps will damage an engine quickly.

Boost pressure is not a must, however it will indicate an issue with the turbo or intercooler.

Fuel pressure is a must have gauge. With the fuel now a day, a filter issue or lift pump is becoming a common item.

Rail Pressure is a good gauge to have to watch the CLP pump. Another component that will go south and let you sit.

driver311

i have 175000 mis on my 04.5 dodge with 3.73 rear and auto. it is stock, i have no gages and don't worry about it a bit. dodge and cummins built them to run loaded 100 % of the time loaded. i run it like i just stole it and have had no trouble at all. so gages would just have been a big cost and lots of trouble to put in. i pull all heartland units and all used units any kind and any length. i pull them coast to coast.

driver311

dieselengineer

Charter Member
driver311

My 3rd gen ran wicked hot, bone stock in conditions like high altitude, 100+ degrees, 10% grade, towing. Without a EGT gauge, I would not have known that. The ECM does not measure EGT, so the engine will not automatically defuel to protect the internal parts. Without a tear down inspection of the pistons, combustion camber, valves, etc. you will not know if there was past over-fueling / high temp issues. I have seen a number of engines still running fine with pits and craters in the piston crown from these issues. They are sleeping time bombs. Gauges are a lot less cost when compared to the cost of engine parts.