Two furnace thoughts.

ChopperBill

(1) Has anyone made up a filter for the furnace? Seems to get dusty pretty fast when the furnace is running. Could just cut one up and make some brackets on the back of the cold air return. Or maybe a piece of foam?
(2) Some one mentioned that their cloths hamper was warmer than the bed room. How about putting a floor vent in the hamper lid? Would let the warm air out. Probably wouldn't want to put your skivvies down there if it was too long between changes. :eek:

davebennington

Chopperbill,

I have thought about a filter for the furnace but I wondered if it would be too restrictive for it to operate correctly. I have cut a piece of screen and mounted it on the back of the return vent.

Dave

jbeletti

I have not added any filtering to the grill under my refer but I've thought about it. Here's a link to a store that sells various styles/sizes of filters.

I'd have to measure mine grill and opening to se what I could fit. Maybe a 10" x 20"??

While expensive, maybe the permanent (washable) filter would be a good option.

With respect to air resistance, at this link and pasted below is what I found on their website. Not sure how this compares to the cheapy filters I use in the house.

Jim

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Low Resistance[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Resistance refers to how hard your HVAC system has to work to pull air through your filter. The lower the number, usually expressed as decimal such as .12, is more desirable. Our electrostatic air filters produce resistance in the .08 to .15 range. This means your HVAC systems runs easier and can reduce electricity and repair bills.[/FONT]

jpmorgan37

We have those thin foam filters on our A/C units and they grab lots of dust but don't seem to restrict the air flow too much. Seems to me that would be an inexpensive alternative to stopping the dust (and in our case, dog hair) from getting to the furnace blower system. Putting some quick disconnect (like Zeus fasteners) on the grill would make it an easy to service item. Hmmmmm, sounds like I've got another summer project.

ct0218

I purchased the blue cut-to-size matting in Lowes or H Depot filter aisle and used 1/2 in hardware cloth as a stiffener behind it. Open enough for little or no restriction, yet it does collect dust because I have washed it out twice this winter.

jpmorgan37

I just spent part of the afternoon analyzing the furnace and looking for ways to close up the furnace room. Without removing the entire UDC, there is no way to get to the back wall. It has two four inch flexible heat ducts, the propane line, a holding tank vent line and an electrical cable, all passing through the back wall opening that is roughly 15" x 24". Even removing the furnace I wouldn't be able to reconnect the heat ducting. So, I think that I will install a electrostatic filter inside the wooden grill, which will help keep the dust and dog hair from going into the air intake of the furnace and help restrict air coming out of the wooden air intake that Midas Touch has mentioned. My other thought is using velcro to attach the grill, instead of the screws that are there now or my idea of the Dzus fasteners. Still thinking about alternatives.
John

Midastouch

John,

The filter and velcro idea for refastening the grill sound like a good idea. My wooden grill has cracks off each of the screw holes .... not only are the screws very tight, but the excess heat coming from the two front ducts that are covered by plates in the front of the furnace got the wood heated up enough to cause all that, I am thinking. I now just have the screws in far enough to hold the grill up there but have not run them all the way back in ..... too hard to get off again!

I was wondering if that foil heat tape would be good to seal those vent holes/plates in front that are not being used .... I know they are just setting in there but there is enough air escape that it causes the grill/wood to really heat up when it shouldn't, causing it to dry out and crack.

ct0218

I bought a pack of the adhesive backed velcro squares and used 6 sets to hold the wood grill on. The squares are about 3/4 in, and they've held on for about 2K miles of towing.

jpmorgan37

Midastouch;
Definately put the foil tape on. They are there for other applications where a connection could be made. It will help the flow out of the ports going to the registers.
John

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I havde sealed everything i Can with foil tape. All around the floor, the edges and the knock outs for heat vents. I wish there was room to get in at the other side to do it too. Did it inprove anything?? I know there is no air leakage around what I foil taped.
My dealer did find out that the out thta the hole that was cut for the plenium on the bottom missed by 50%, so they recut the hole and sealed up the other part that was not correct.

jpmorgan37

Suburbans position on filters

This is the reply that I received from Suburban regarding the addition for a filter to the air intake:

By our Installation requirements there should be return air opening that
allows access for removal of the appliance and also bring in return air
located in front of the furnace or to the side. We do not recommend adding a
filter to the opening as this opening must be unobstructed and open to allow
air movement into the cabinet and across the furnace.

Ronnie Ellison
Assistant Service Manager

With that being said, I know that in our GC, there is sufficient openings in the back of the furnace enclosure to allow sufficient air movement into the cabinet. I still plan to add a filter.