Olympian 5500 Low Pressure Grill Questions - Help

pegmikef

I've read a lot about grills and the auxillary lp line. My North Trail 26LRS has such a line, but it just has a plug in the end of it (no connector). Since it is just a tee off of the main feed line it is low pressure since it is on the output side of the regulator. After looking and comparing grills, it looks to me like the Olympian 5500 Grill should work nicely since it is designed for use with the rv line and comes with a hose with the quick-connects. One can also buy a rail so it can be mounted on the side (presumably where the factory option would go), but I do not intend to mount it. My questions:

Does anybody out there have any experience with this grill? I read a lot of good reviews, but there were also a couple of not so good.

Where is a good place to get this quick-connect fitting to replace the plug? I've seen a lot of people mention them, but only saw one site (Mr. Heater) mentioned. I went there and couldn't figure out what I needed.

Thanks for any info. (The two small RV dealerships here weren't sure of what I was asking for.)

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had an Olympian for over 10 years. Great grill except for a hotter than average center area. Once you get used to the hot spot it's great. No flare ups. That said, I replaced it 2 years ago with a WeberQ 120. Best small grill I've ever owned.
Regarding the LP line on the trailer, it should work but I think you will need to find a way to eliminate the regulator that comes with the grill as the LP line is after the regulator on the rig. Maybe an owner of an RVQ will respond about that.

Stinger381

I bought the Weber Q-220 as a replacement to my RVQ that I had with my original camper. I hated the RVQ and the Weber is the best grill I've ever owned. You have to disconnect the regulator on the Weber Q and install a hose with a male ended quick disconnect on it where the regulator was connect to the gas burner. There are two different designs to the quick disconnect that you can get from Mr. Heater so make sure you get the right one. I bought the Weber Q grill bag that is an accessory and I store it bin under the trailer. Another thing I like about the Weber Q is the removeable grease tray. I can just chunk the tin tray when I'm cleaning up and packing up the grill and camper. They are really cheap to replace...

scormier

I also bought the Weber Q-220 gas grill with stand (accessory) last year, it was quite expensive but was needing to replace the home grill anyway so I made the investment...I've never owned a better grill and the portability is fantastic, I just fold down the stand and roll the grill into the box of my truck. I would recommend this grill to anyone needing a new BBQ wether they need the portability or not, it's that good.

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, but have been here long enough to see what a gold mine it is. I've already posted about a dozen times. Not only are we newbies here, but we are very much newbies to camping. We started with a new MPG and just traded last week for a North Trail 21FBS. What a difference! Breathing room!

We were close to "doing the deal" on the trade, and told the sales person, "If it had a grill on the side, I think I'd write you a check. But I love cooking out, and the other one we are looking at (another dealer) has the grill." Bingo. They were going to put on a cast iron grill, but the Camco rep had just been there and mounted the sample of the 5500. ( I offered to pay the $120 difference.) Not sure if it's the same as the Olympian 5500.

This is a really nice stainless steel smoker grill. It also has a cast iron smoker plate. It came with the mounting bracket that doubles as a stand if you want to use it on a table. The RV dealer mounted the rail, and failed to add the needed part to the camper ... the quick disconnect on the camper side. We didn't get to use it, but if anyone is interested, I will post back about how it cooks when we go back out. Probably won't be until we head for the race in Michigan (12-hour drive!), but we will be gone a couple of weeks... taking in the Road America race, too... so we will be cooking out often. NOT BBQ experts either, but will be after this summer! :)

Larry didn't want to put it in the ONLY storage section of the camper (NT 21FBS), so it ended up going into our bedside "closet." Wonder how long that will last? It seems huge when you are trying to put it somewhere!

Again, will report on it if anyone is interested. We know nothing about LP gas. Learning everyday. So don't know if we will be of help with the low pressure question. I'll be reading this thread with great interest.
I have no idea "how" they installed it, but hoping we have a good result using it.

Thanks to everyone ;) out there educating people like us!

Angie

pegmikef

I've got the 5500 and think it is great. A lot of people like the weber, but I liked the idea of the 5500 being ready to go with the included quick connect hose. I ended up just calling Heartland and having them send me the quick connect valve and then I had to buy a bushing and fitting at Lowe's (couple of bucks) to replace the plug. Heartland told me that they now only install the quick connect on rigs that order the optional grill. Anyway, it works like a champ and does in fact have a hot spot in the center part of the grill. I line the bottom with tin foil and it catches almost all of the grease. I think I bought it on amazon.com. Like you, I didn't want it mounted on the rig. I am now looking for a longer (12 - 15 feet) hose to move it even farther away.

gasman

Camp Socializer
You should be able to purchase the quick connect fittings at most propane distributors or even a decent sporting goods store if the RV stores don't have it. The female end that mounts to the trailer will have a ball valve built into it. The piping is most likely 1/2" and the fitting will be 3/8" so you will need to get a reducer and a short nipple.