Well, we pulled the trigger on a 2011 BC 3494QBS!

firemailwv

I made a deposit on a 2011 BC 3494QBS today! We will be making the trek to pick it up next month. We are moving up from a Cougar 281 and are so excited to use all of the new room we will have in the Big Country. I'm a little concerned about the size of the coach as we are growing in length by 8 feet and about 3000 pounds.

I pull with a Dodge Dually with the Cummins so I know it will handle the weight, but just how much of a difference will I have? I would love to hear from some folks that pull the same weight with same truck. What experiences can you give me, such as speed drop off going up hills and MPG. How about upgrades to the truck to make more power?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: well, we pulled the trigger!

We made a huge leap up in length and weight not too long ago and the there weren't any real noticeable differences in pulling power, handling, etc. I did have to seriously adjust my turning radius however due to the added length. Can't get into some gas stations I used to fit in.

Also, welcome to the forum. I encourage you to join the Heartland Owner's Club and attend rallies this spring and summer. Heartland Owners are the best! I'm the Chapter Leader for VA/WV and would love to send you more information. Contact me at: g_funderburg@yahoo.com for more info.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

We don't have the same rigs but we did jump up from a 29' SOB to the 38' 3450TS. We tow the North Cascades mountain pass several times a year and notice no difference going up but there is a need to go a bit slower down the mountains as the added weight seems to affect the down hill event to a greater degree. You should not need any upgrades for power per se...you might consider an exhaust brake. I had one one my 1999 CTD and it worked quite well. As far as mileage...difficult to say. We usually get between 11 -13 towing and 14 - 16 empty.

Congratulations on the new purchase. You will really like the Big Country!

firemailwv

thanks! Part of the reason I felt so comfortable buying the Big Country is because of this group. I really enjoy owning things that people are passionate about. What part of VA are you in?

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired

Welcome firemailwv to the group and what a great coach you got. Hum - being from WV, ya will have to come join the "hillbilly group"-that would be the Goddards and Hills from WV and us, the Mathis', from TN. Not sure when ya'll are getting your coach but maybe ya'll can join us soon in some of the upcoming rallies. Enjoy and travel safely.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

thanks! Part of the reason I felt so comfortable buying the Big Country is because of this group. I really enjoy owning things that people are passionate about. What part of VA are you in?

We're in Northern Virginia, about 30 miles south of Washington, just off I-95. We have around 30 Heartland Owner's Club Members and another 15 or so forum participants who also sometimes attend events. We usually have at least two rallies each year, one in the Eastern part of VA and another in the Shenendoah Valley area. We also have a couple of members from WVA.

caissiel

Our unit is 3500 lbs heavier than the previous trailer and so far I find it much easier to tow. These units realy ride well on the highway. Its very surprising how much better it rides.

When we picked up ours I had a great chat with one of the dealer's hauler driver and he assured me I will never regret buying the unit.

Cimriver

We have an Elkridge not the BC but we went from a 29 Laredo. I can tell you our 37 foot Elkridge pulls way easier than the Laredo. I think Heartland has done great things with the design of these RV's.

irvin56

We have a quad bunk setup in our NT31QBS and love the bunk for the grand kids. If you have a big family you will like this layout. I only wish my bunks slid out like yours. Makes a huge space difference in space. Looks nice. Congradulations on choice of unit

firemailwv

thanks! I can't wait to go get it. We just have to wait to get our Cougar out of winter storage. We keep it in one of the county fairground's livestock barns.

rarnold

As far as more power and/or mileage, look into Gale Banks Engineering. They have numerous add-on packages that can boost MPG's, torque and performance. I have a 2006 Dodge 3500 4X4 5.9 diesel and have put on the larger exhaust pipe, air scoop & intake and will be getting exhaust brake and more as time & $$ allows. Banks is legal in the lower 48 states and have really done their homework. Enjoy your new baby.
Rod

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders

We went from a 28' Sprinter to our 37' Elk Ridge and it pulls easier than the old one. Even though it weighs about 3000 lbs more our mileage was the same or better. The aerodynamics are much improved from the flat front of the old one.

firemailwv

We just got back from michigan with the new Big Country in tow. Man, what a feeling. I have looked out the window a couple times to look at it in the driveway. I want to give props to Dave, Kim and Ben at Gillette's Interstate RV in East Lansing. What a great transaction.

All of my concerns about the extra length and weight were just as you all said, no big deal. I pulled the old Cougar 8 hours to Michigan yesterday and 12K of Big Country back home today and really got a good feel of the differences. They are, one - the Cougar was a very rough pulling camper. Two - I was a little too comfortable pulling the Cougar. Three - once you are at speed, it doesn't matter if your pulling 8K or 12K. Four - The BC looks like a million bucks. Five - The BC rides like a champ. Six - a Smarty Jr programmer is the berries if you own a Cummins. Seven - the Maxbrake is the berries no matter what your truck is.