Hensley BD3 trailer saver air hitch in a dogge 2500 mega cab

szewczyk_john

I'm new but have learned alot by reading this forum. I'm getting my new road warrior 305 within 3 weeks time. The dealer worked an installed 16K manual slider hitch into the deal for about $700. I have found a barely used Hensley BD 3 trailer saver hitch for $1500.00. From my research, this hitch is a top of the line hitch with air bag suspension to reduce jerking and bounce. Does any one have any thoughts or comments? The seller sold his fifth wheel and states tat the hitch was only used 4 times. Since I have no 5th wheel experience what do I need to look at when getting this hitch? Would hensley sell me the simple slide option to covert this into a slider hitch (i left an email, no response yet)? How much should a dealer charge to just install the 5th wheel hitch rails on a dodge? For those that have this hitch, how do you like them?

DRGalligher

John - it doesn't look like you got a response on this. We have the Hensley BD3 with the Simple Slide and it works very well for us. We just bought a long bed truck so will be selling the Simple Slide. Let me know if you are still looking.

porthole

Retired
If the hitch is in as good as shape as you were told, the is a good price for a well made hitch that works as advertised.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have the Hensley Trailer Saver TS2 (has the air bags) and we love it. Hensley makes a well made product that should serve you well.

DRGalligher

We have the Hensley Trailer Saver TS2 (has the air bags) and we love it. Hensley makes a well made product that should serve you well.

BD3 also has air bags. The differences between the two are the truck you will install it in and the towing weight capability.

John - it doesn't look like you got a response on this. We have the Hensley BD3 with the Simple Slide and it works very well for us. We just bought a long bed truck so will be selling the Simple Slide. Let me know if you are still looking.

Hi, I'm new here but stumbled across this thread. I have been looking at the BD3 as well and am probably going to make a decision soon. I was wondering if you still have the Simple Slide for sale, Dave?

Thanks!

Bob

jimtoo

Hi, I'm new here but stumbled across this thread. I have been looking at the BD3 as well and am probably going to make a decision soon. I was wondering if you still have the Simple Slide for sale, Dave?

Thanks!

Bob

HI Bob,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have some great people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Delaine and Lindy

Thats a good buy, and you will have a excellent Air ride hitch. Haven't owned the BD 3 but have owned 2 TS 3's and a TSLB2H and I do believe the Trailer Saver is the best Air ride hitch on the market. Call Aaron at Trailer Saver and have him price the BD 3 and you will know for a fact its a good buy. Happy Trails.....

Thanks for the welcome. In honesty I don't have a Heartland RV, but your forum is great. After reading around here for a bit, I will definitely consider a Heartland the next time I am in the market! Hope you don't mind having me around.

Dale Smith

I use the BD3 Trail Saver hitch with the slider attachment in my 2010 GMC three-quarter ton short box truck. This hitch works very well for us and we have had no issues with it, other than the fact that you have to remember to give it a few shots of grease from time to time to allow the hitch to slide freely up and down on the pins. With my Bighorn 3055 trailer and the truck as noted above I run my hitch air setting at approximately 70 pounds. I have not had that many instances where I needed to use the slider hitch portion, but when I have it has worked as advertised.

Yes it is a more expensive hitch but is a quality unit. If you have a chance to pick one up privately and you can get it for the prices you are stating, I would snap it up!

Hope this helps.

DRGalligher

Thanks!

Bob

Hi Bob, So sorry in the late reply - just saw this post! We ended up trading in the Simple Slide for an under bed hitch adaptor for the our new 2011 F350. Took a loss but wasn't able to find a buyer and didn't want it sitting in our garage.