Bighorn furnace....everybody satisfied???

jwb187

I've been out in my 3055 cleaning and loading the coach since receiving it last Friday and I turned the heat on since it was cool. I noticed that the furnace ran it seemed like forever and didn't produce much heat at the registers. I counted I believe 5 registers and only two were blowing enough air to blow out a match!!! Those being the one in the commode room and the bedroom. The three in the kitchen and living room were useless. Anyone else having this problem.....

jbeletti

jwb,

More learned users will chime in later but since you're up already today, thought I'd give you a couple things to look at.

1. Pull off the grill under the refer to reveal the furnace compartment
2. Look around the bottom of the furnace where it meets the floor. Is it fastened well to the floor?
3. Look at the flex-ducts coming off the back and sides of the furnace, have any of them fallen off?
4. Turn the furnace and feel around that compartment. Does it feel like you have output air leaks at the floor and/or the ported outlets on the back or sides?

For most of your warm air ducts to be so poor, my guess is that the problem is at the furnace with its output not getting into the ducting their supposed to.

Let us know.

Jim

ChopperBill

Have to say our furnace really works well! Yahoo! Checking the service bay area I find them nice and toasty. All registers blow a high volume of air and it is hot. When you put your bare foot on them it feels almost as if it will burn it. Quite frankly the amount of air it blows gets kind of annoying right off the bedside. I even have put one of my slippers over half the register. I will defiantly put up with that! It does seem to run a lot when in the low 30's and the interior seems to cool off fast when it goes off. But we have learned to keep the day/night shades down (dual pane windows) as long as possible during those periods. We also learned NOT to park in the shade on our winter trip.

Uncle Rog

jwb187, nope. I am pulling our rig in tomorrow for more warranty fix's, one of which is poor furnace performance. I think Jim is on the right track with the placement issue over the duct / plenum, however prior to being orphaned by Heartland, as I have stated before, I want to be just like Chopper, warm and toasty. I would love to burn my foot on a register! We do not have the dual pane windows, so if I have pour the coal to the furnace to keep warm, then so be it.......UR

mufflerman

I know in my first cyclone the heater only missed the hole for the ducting BY 2 1/2 INCHES, And the second (replacement cyclone) had major hot spots in linolium floor and no heat to bedroom, I found very poor ducting with large gaps, Dealer tried to seal but still no heat in bedroom.
Chris at heartland tried to tell me these Large gaps are to heat the tanks??? Then I talked to plant Manager and was told that they are supposed to be sealed, Right & left hand need to be connected.

jwb187

Thanks Jim for your quick post. Yesterday I opened the panels from the basement storage to where I could see the front side of the furnace and it appeared that both ducts that probably go to the commode room and bedroom were intact. Couldn't get close enough to see if the furnace was loose at the floor or see any ducts on the rear side. I'll attempt to do what you directed today and get back with you.....I want mine to be like Chopper Bill's.....I want to feel lots of heat coming out!!!!

HappyKayakers

I really hope this is the last winter we actually need hot air flowing through all registers. We've had good air coming through the living room and kitchen, moderate in the stool room, and very little in the bedroom.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
our heater keeps the trailer nice and warm we have not any trouble with our 3055RL knock on wood.

vangoes

jwb187
My unit's air flow from the furnace is basically the same as yours. Very strong air flow in the potty room, good air flow in the bedroom and poor air flow in kitchen and living room. So far I have not opened the panels to inspect the ducting so I cant provide any explanations. I did try closing the potty register completely to force air to other registers but it whistled so bad from the force from the air that I had to open it and just keep the door open so heat would circulate out of the room. All in all though, the unit stayed pretty comfortable through three winter trips this year with temps in the 20's. I guess we can attibute that to good insulation. My last rv was a class A and it was never comfortable in cold weather; however, I do want to improve the air flow through the living area registers before another winter.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Our airflow is as yours is. It has improved after the dealer did some work on it. Read my other post of today.
In 34 degree weather it took 3 hrs from start to 70 degrees!! Is it just because of the volume?? or is it the furnace. Don't know.

Uncle Rog

Hey Rand, how is the trip going? We took the BH in today for more warranty work, #3 on my list is the air flow / performance of the furnace. I am going over Tues AM to inspect the liner section of the rig, to check the ducting and see how much water damage has ocurred. I will give a full report afterwards, with pictures if necessary....Roger

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Hi Roger
all is going well we are in Mesa until monday then off to Verde Valley in northern AZ. fo 2 weeks. Hope we can get to the Grand Canyon this time.
Good luck with the warrenty trip. It will be good to hear of any solutions for more air from the furnace.

Uncle Rog

Rand, that is a nice area. I have shot birds and hunted Mule deer up in Camp Verde in an area called Cedar Flats. It is alittle high though and might be a touch chilly this time of year....have fun...Roger

Uncle Rog

Furnace Seems To Be Fixed !!!

Just wanted to post this for you folks still out / up in the cold country. I picked my rig yestergay and have done preliminary systems check and am very pleased to report that my furnace now has some real air flow. When Joe pulled the unit was not installed properly, the seal on the rear between the OSB was not in place, and there was a 5" floor penetration for plumbing in front of the return so the air was recirculating from the liner. It was 95 when I came home yesterday so all I could do was turn on the fan for a minute or so, I was pleased. Will check for heat Sat AM, nights are still in the 40's.......UR

jwb187

An update on my furnace output....took the coach back to the dealer, and they found that the furnace was not situated properly on the plenum, reinstalled the furnace correctly and retaped all the flex lines with furnace tape. I can now feel heat coming from all registers and the coach heats well.
Tried it out this past weekend with morning temps down into the high teens and it stayed comfortable. To echo a previous poster, it doesn't take long at those temperatures for the coach to cool off so the furnace ran quite a bit, but in retrospect these coachs are not built like a stick house when it comes to insulation.....