Fridge Freezing problems

• Thread starter roddiemacdonald
  • Start date
R

roddiemacdonald

I have a 2007 Sundance, Dometic RM2852, the freezer works fine, however the fridge freezes. There is a climate contol swith which is on, and I have the plastic climate control on the "fins" is at low. Dometic advises I need a new thermostat. I have read all the issues with the brittle drain hose, I have that problem too, and I have to change that as well. So I have a couple of questions,

1. If I need to change the thermostat, is it do-able or do I need a tech.

2. would or could the drain hose issue be causing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Roddie Macdonald
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Roddie, I can't help you with the thermostat question but for sure the drain hose issue will have no effect on the lower section of the fridge freezing up.

Have you checked the temps in the freezer? There mightshould be another switch called the ambient temperature control. This switch keeps the inside light on in the lower section after the door is closed. This may prevent freezing at least until you can get it looked at.

R

roddiemacdonald

the freezer is fine, it's just that the fridge part freezes, I've played with the plastic on the fins, I've tried pulling the thermostat wire out further, nothing,,,,, it still freezes

Rickhansen

...the freezer works fine, however the fridge freezes. There is a climate control switch which is on, and I have the plastic climate control on the "fins" is at low. Dometic advises I need a new thermostat. I have read all the issues with the brittle drain hose, I have that problem too, and I have to change that as well. So I have a couple of questions,

1. If I need to change the thermostat, is it do-able or do I need a tech.

2. would or could the drain hose issue be causing this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Roddie,
The Climate control Switch only turns on some electric heating elements in the door frames to reduce condensation in humid weather. No Joy there.

My knowledge, while not expert by any means, is that there is not a thermostat in the fridge. The sensor clipped on the fin is a 10,000 ohm, negative coefficient, thermistor that is connected to the control board. I guess if you've been in contact with Dometic, you should get the details of what parts need replacement, and whether these are user replaceable parts.

The refrigerator is the "master" as the control is in there. The temperature difference between the fridge and freezer is based on mechanical balance of the ammonia flow and concentration. I would assume that they've had you check temperatures of both with a thermometer or something.

As I understand, the refrigerators are backed by a 3-year warranty. That may be a limited warranty, but being that your rig is a 2007, you apparently are not too far out of warranty anyway. I would be asking them for help with this problem, if I were in this situation.

No, the hose is only a condensate drain.

lwmcguir

Not familiar with your fridge. Does it have a temperature setting? If so what setting are you using. Our Yellowstone Dometic was fully automatic and it worked great for 10 years so no help for you. We did use a fan when the fridge was loaded heavily to move the air around.