On Our Way to Elkhart, need some travel tips.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We will be headed to Elkhart around the 22 of February from Northern CA, to be in Elkhart on the 28th. Obviously the route we take will depend on the weather at the time, but we are looking at I-80 if weather holds and south to I-40 then up if it doesn't. 80 is 700 miles shorter, so is preferred if we can.
Even though we're in northern CA, the weather here is decent enough that we camp all year round, so this cold weather travel has us a little concerned. The plan now is to get to the other side of the Rockies as fast as possible, then about 500 miles per day. On 80, looking to stop at Wendover, Cheyenne, Lincoln, NE, and then ? If I-40, Somewhere around Las Vegas, then Gallup, then Tulsa.
We need tips and recommendations, places to stay, etc. from any who have done these routes before. And especially those that have tackled them in questionable weather. We have a limited time frame because of work obligations, so can't postpone. We do have enough sense to not travel in a blizzard, and some skills driving in snow and ice. :) It's a little more challenging to try to plan a trip in the winter when things may be closed, but any quick stop with power and water will do.
Thanks!

grizzlygiant

We drive both routes from northern Idaho to the Northeast. Weather is your big concern. We watch the daily forcasts and will not leave our current spot unless we have a good weather window ahead. I would not plan on 500 mile days; something more like 250 to 300 max. Before you leave a spot check out possible open-all-year campgrounds along the way in case you have to pull in. Pray.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I can't give you any advice, but good luck on the trip. We want you back and camping ASAP.
Kristy

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
Wyoming can get really bad at times, as can Nebr. where we live but much flatter here. I would try to watch the 15 day forecast and map both routes and then make as choice a day or two ahead of time.

rustyshakelford

What are y'all going to Elkhart for? We are leaving Houston on the 27th and driving straight thru to arrive on the 28th. We are going to pick up our new cyclone!

Maybe we can meet up and get supper one night

Brett

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
What are y'all going to Elkhart for? We are leaving Houston on the 27th and driving straight thru to arrive on the 28th. We are going to pick up our new cyclone!

Maybe we can meet up and get supper one night

Brett

We have made the drive from Houston to Elkhart several times and it is a 23 hour drive. I have driven from Indianapolis to Houston straight before but it was a 20 hour drive. I would allow 2 days. We will usualy drive from Houston to just north of Memphis the first day and then one to Elkhart. We take 59 out of Houston and then the interstates the rest of the was. Try to avoid Chicago. Weather is the biggest factor this time of year.

rjr6150

Second the comment about Wyoming. If possible would try for Sidney, Ne. instead of Cheyenne. Gets you out of Wy and on the flats. For some reason if the weather is at all bad seems to build up from about 15 miles west of Sidney through Wy and moves south. We have a great campground in Sidney right off the interstate owned and operated by Cabela's. Agree check the forecast and you're welcome to give me a call for local weather and to check the road camera's through Wy and Ne.

rustyshakelford

We have made the drive from Houston to Elkhart several times and it is a 23 hour drive. I have driven from Indianapolis to Houston straight before but it was a 20 hour drive. I would allow 2 days. We will usualy drive from Houston to just north of Memphis the first day and then one to Elkhart. We take 59 out of Houston and then the interstates the rest of the was. Try to avoid Chicago. Weather is the biggest factor this time of year.

We would like to draw the drive out to two days but we want to get there asap in case there are issues with the coach that need to be taken care of. We will take about 4-5 days coming home. Luckily we shouldn't have to spot for fuel. Just food and bathroom. Definitely won't be one of our favorite road trips unfortunately. Coming home should be more fun. From my door to Elkhart is 1152 miles. Yuck!

Brett

slmayor

Thanks for the responses! I have all the possible stops programmed in the iphone for weather. We'll decide a day or so before we actually head out.
Thanks for the tip about Sidney, without having traveled in the area, we just picked a couple stops. We will do the 500 miles as we've done it a couple times. Seems we like to do the big push the first couple days, and go as far as we can so we have some extra time as we get closer.
If we're able to take I80, we've done Redding to Wendover in a day. Not pleasant, but it's a straight shot and actually pretty flat except for a couple climbs this side of Wells. Might try to leave home in the afternoon and go as far as Reno, which would give us a head start the next day.

Brett and Lindsay,
I'll send you our phone number, would be fun to meet up. Heartland is doing us a huge favor and fixing our Bighorn. It's an insurance claim, but it's broken in a place that shops here can't fix.

rustyshakelford

Sounds good. Were going to be staying at great lakes rv while were there for our pdi and getting everything figured out. Look forward to meeting up!

Brett

rvn4fun

Crossing Wyoming is the trick in the winter time, as they close the interstate down whenever it snows. So even if you have to drive a few more miles to get through there, do it when the weather is good. As above Sidney Nebraska is a good place to camp. If you get stranded there for weather reasons, at least you have something to do there, and places to eat ect.

slmayor

Well, we can't make the weather window over the Rockies, so heading out tomorrow, it's south to 40 for us thru NV on 95 to 40, (avoiding 58 and tehachapi) then heading across on 44 from OK city, thru MO, then up to Indianapolis and on to Goshen. Looks like much better weather than last week thru the south. Last weeks forecast was ice storms both north and south, and 80 is better than 40 for drivability. But only a 3 day window on 80 before the next snows, and 70 degree temps on 40. Will take an extra day and more hard driving but still only 10-12 hours per day.
Thanks for all the tips and maybe the weather will be good enough by the time we make our way back to go 80.