Towing a 2011 Bighorn 3055

rjmiv

Newbie question

Getting ready to buy a Bighorn 3055RL - What size Diesel do I need to pull it?

I am considering a 2011 Ford F-350 Lariat Super Cab 4X4 6.7L Power Stroke(R) V8 Turbo Diesel Engine - I am told that will easily handle the 3055? - I do live in Colorado and do mountain driving.

Thanks,

Birchwood

Any of the 3 big diesels will haul the 3055 Bighorn.Just keep your weights below the rated GVWR of your vehicle (truck)
and there should be no stopping or hauling problems.

6.7powerstroke

Greetings from Colorado also. That truck will have zero issues pulling that camper, I have the exact same truck in a crew cab. I have run mine over Eisenhower, Monument and Vail with no issues. Excellent choice, the new PSDs are quite a bit ahead of the other manufacturers. Enjoy!

rjmiv

Thanks Dave - Also, any problems with making sure the BH is level when hooked up? I ask because of some comments about the bed of the 2011 F350 being quite high.

6.7powerstroke

I actually was fine, which kind of surprised me. I went from a 2001 F250 to my new truck. I had bigger tires on my 01 so that might have caused it to sit higher and make it level.

lefox7

When you say the big three I understand Ford, Chevy and Dodge. But does it have to be a 1ton? I purchased a new 3055RL in Dec and pulled it home with my Toyota Tundra. The trailer was empty but when I load it up it will be 2500 to 3000 over. I have been looking at a 3/4 ton. Both Ford 250 and Chevy 2500 HD are rated for around 15000 towing. Is this 1000 lbs not enough safety margin? Do I really need a 350 or 3500 1 ton truck?

Chuck Richard

I would say the 3/4 tons will pull the 3055 and I did for a few years with an 01 Chev 2500HD. You need to be careful though as loaded my pin weight is 3100lbs which was over the rating for the truck. I just bought a 3500 dually and have plenty of room now but really the old truck pulled well but was gas not diesel. I put Firestone airbags on the truck and heavier rated tires that stock and the truck rode great and the brakes worked great. To stay legal you should probably get a 1 ton but you need to decide which is best for you, either will pull the trailer just fine.

Peteandsharon

I tow a 3055 quite comfortably with a 2008 F250 short bed crew cab. I have added Hellwig helper springs but they are a "nice to have". Not a requirement. I towed the same rig with a 1999 F250 previously.

6.7powerstroke

That 15K tow rating is useless, it is nothing more than marketing fluff. Keep in mind that assumes you have a 2WD, gas burner, stripped regular cab in the lighest configuration made with only a 150 pound driver. If you are planning on such things as crew cab, diesel, 4WD, passengers, a trailer hitch, power windows, etc, that number will go way down. Only way to compute is to actually take the GWR of the truck and add up what everything weighs. With a 350 verses a 250, it is only about a grand as someone else posted. For that you get extra suspension in the back, bigger rear end and hydro boost brakes as opposed to vacuum brakes. It really is a no brainer, you can never have too much truck.